Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

RapidFire19

2018-19 Flyers Players Signings\Trades\Pre-Season Roster

Posted (edited)

Green - Re-Signed

Red - Not Returning\Attending other Training Camp

Orange - Traded

Blue - Vet*

*By SPHL definition, Vets are players who have 224 or more professional games played. Each team is allowed up to 3 vets on their roster. All 3 vets have to have a combined total of less than 900 games played.

Protected List

G, Sean Bonar - Re-Signed with Atlanta (ECHL), Invited to Providence TC (AHL)\Released by Providence (10\1\18)

G, Brian Billett - Signed with Maine (ECHL)

DNathan Bruyere

DMark Esshaki - Retired

DChristain Weidauer

FCharlie Adams

FJosh Cousineau

FGarrett Milan - Signed with EV Lindau (Germany3)

FJessyko Bernard - Signed with Briançon (France2)

FKen Neil - Signed with Maine (ECHL)\Released (10\8\18)

FTJ Sarcona

FBrian Morgan Signed with Reading (ECHL)

FMatt Johnson

Unprotected Players

G, Gordon Defiel - Signed with Macon (SPHL)

G, Alex Sakellaropoulos - Signed PTO with Atlanta (ECHL), Signed PTO with Boston (NHL)\Released by Atlanta (9\29\18), Signed by Adirondack (10\1\18)

G, Braeden Ostepchuk - Signed PTA with Peoria (SPHL)

DTim Boyle

DKyle Haines

DTroy Vance

DChad Thibodeau - Signed with Tulsa (ECHL)\Released(10\3\18), Claimed by Tulsa (10\3\18)

DRyan Ruikka

D\FAlex Pompeo

F,  Trevor Hertz

FDavid Mazurek - Signed with Fayetteville (SPHL)

FChapen LeBlond - Retired

FLiam Kerins - Signed with Knoxville (SPHL)

FPhil Bushbacher - Signed with Caen (France2)

FMark Bennett - Signed with Fehérvári Titánok (Erste Liga)

FEli Lichtenwald - Re-Signed with Jacksonville (ECHL)

FRobert Lepine Signed with Rapid City (ECHL)

New Players

FRyan Marcuz - Former SPHL Team : MRK

DCory Melkert  - Former SPHL Teams : ROA, EVV

FBrian Bowen - Univ. of Vermont (NCAA), [(played 11 games for Worchester (ECHL)]

DJesse Kessler - Hamline Univ. (NCAA III)

F\DMatt Harrington - Former SPHL Team : MRK

FBrett D'Andrea - Bowling Green State Univ. (NCAA III)

DMartins Oskars Freimanis - Liepaja (Latvia)

FBrantley Sherwood - Former SPHL Team : MRK

DAlfred Johansson - St. Norbett College (NCAA III)

FDaniel Perigo - Univ. of Waterloo (USports)

2018-19 Flyers Training Camp

Goalies

#30 Brian Billett - Signed with Maine (ECHL)\Released (10\4\18)

Defensemen

Cory Melkert 

Jesse Kessler (R)

Martins Oskars Freimanis 

#15 Nathan Bruyere

Alfred Johansson (R) - Signed with Atlanta (ECHL)\Released by Atlanta (10\1\18)

Forwards

#7  Josh Cousineau

Ryan Marcuz (V\224) - Signed with SC (ECHL)\Released (10\5\18)

Brian Bowen (R)

Matt Harrington (V\361) - Signed PTO with Atlanta (ECHL)\Released (10\3\18)

#9  Matt Johnson

#21 TJ Sarcona

Brett D'Andrea (R) - Signed with Orlando (ECHL)\Released (10\4\18)

Brantley Sherwood - Signed TOA with Ft. Wayne (ECHL)\Released (10\6\18)

Daniel Perigo (R) - Signed with Adirondack (ECHL)

Edited by RapidFire19
Updated

56 minutes ago, Hockeyfan1966 said:

To protect Weidauer and not Boyle just amazes me.

I thought that too, at first.  But I talked to a Pensacola fan and they said he didn't want to play anywhere else.  If that's the case there is no reason to have to use a spot on the protected list unless they thought he was going to be taken in the expansion draft.

PENSACOLA, Fla. (July 26, 2018) – The Pensacola Ice Flyers announced today two-time SPHL champion, Josh Cousineau, has signed to play once more on the Gulf Coast.

“It is great to have Josh back,” Ice Flyers head coach Rod Aldoff said, “He is one of the smartest players in the league and understands the game in all situations very well.”

The 5’10” 175-lb. forward is entering his fifth professional season, his fourth with the Ice Flyers. Cousineau was acquired by the Ice Flyers during the 2015-16 season from the Knoxville Ice Bears and scored the most memorable goal in Pensacola hockey history with a last second tally later that year to win the 2016 SPHL championship on home ice. He won his first championship the previous year with the Ice Bears in his rookie season.

“Pensacola has become another home away from home after the last three years,” Cousineau added, “I’m beyond excited to play in front of its passionate fans for my fourth season.”

Last season with the Ice Flyers, the Penetang, Ontario, Canada native had 9 goals and 13 assists totaling 22 points. He also led the team in penalty minutes with 79. Cousineau has played 200 games in the SPHL where he has totaled 40 goals, 55 assists, 95 points and 214 penalty minutes.

Aldoff stated, “Josh comes to play every day and is well respected in our dressing room. He is a tremendous person and shows up to the rink ready to go every day. We’re fortunate to have his experience and leadership both on and off the ice.”

“I look forward to playing under returning head coach Rod Aldoff and will work towards bringing the championship back to Pensacola once more. I am excited about the upcoming season with the Ice Flyers and I hope to see everyone on October 20 to pack The Hangar for our first home game!” Cousineau concluded.

Lichtenwald Re-signs with Icemen

Jacksonville, Fla. – The Jacksonville Icemen, ECHL affiliate of the National Hockey League’s Winnipeg Jets and American Hockey League’s Manitoba Moose, announced the return of forward Eli Lichtenwald for the 2018-19 season. 

Lichtenwald began his rookie season in Pensacola with the Ice Flyers of the Southern Professional Hockey League before joining the Icemen midway through the club’s inaugural season. The Saskatoon, Saskatchewan native skated in 35 games for Jacksonville recording eight points (3g-5a). Prior to turning pro, Lichtenwald spent four seasons with Union College where he collected 44 points (24g-20a) in 129 games.

PENSACOLA, Fla. (August 7, 2018) – The Pensacola Ice Flyers announced today that Head Coach Rod Aldoff has signed veteran forward Ryan Marcuz for the 2018-19 season. Marcuz is entering his sixth season in the SPHL and his first not with the Mississippi RiverKings.

“I am very excited to play for the Pensacola Ice Flyers organization this upcoming season,” Marcuz said, “The atmosphere from the fans in Pensacola is amazing, the best in the league in my opinion. Even though I have been yelled at and chirped by their fans in the past, I have always imagined what it would be like to play for the Ice Flyers.”

“Ryan has been a solid player every year in the SPHL. He understands consistency as a pro and it shows in his career,” Aldoff stated, “He was a player we targeted from the RiverKings and I’m happy to have him in an Ice Flyers jersey.”

Marcuz spent the last five seasons with the Mississippi RiverKings where he totaled 65 goals, 79 assists and 144 points in 204 games.  He was one of the alternate captains for the 2017-18 season. The 6’0”, 205-lb. forward also spent time in the FHL with the Danville Dashers in the 2014-15 season where he totaled 10 points in 17 games before playing for Mississippi. This past season he spent time up in the ECHL with the Wheeling Nailers where he played 3 games.

Before starting his professional career, the Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada native spent four years playing for NCAA III Morrisville State College where he scored 22 goals, tallied 34 assists for a total of 56 points in 86 games. He also was an alternate captain during his senior year.

“I cannot wait to start the season under a great coach, management and ownership, but I’m most excited to play in front of the fans in Pensacola! Hockey season cannot come any sooner,” Marcuz added.

“He’s a leader and a great person on and off the ice, and I have high expectations for him. I’m very confident that he will be a big part of our team, as well as a big part of our success,” Aldoff concluded.

PENSACOLA, Fla. (August 9, 2018) – The Pensacola Ice Flyers announced today that Head Coach Rod Aldoff has signed veteran defensemen Cory Melkert.

A 6’5” 225-lb. defenseman from Kenmore, Ontario, Canada, Melkert is entering his third season in the SPHL having played for the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs and Evansville Thunderbolts in the past. He served as the captain for the Thunderbolts during the 2017-18 season where he played in 50 games tallying 22 points and 45 penalty minutes. He spent some time in the ECHL as well where he played for the Wichita Thunder for five games.

“It’s always a great day when you can sign a player and person of Cory’s ability on and off the ice. He’s a natural leader and has the ability to be an elite defenseman for our team every night,” Aldoff stated.

Melkert added, “It was an easy decision for me to sign with Coach Aldoff and Pensacola after I decided not to go over to play in Europe this year. The Ice Flyers are a first-class organization and they have the best fans in the league. Playing in front of them will be a honor this upcoming season.”

During the 2016-17 season Melkert played 20 games for the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs before being traded to the Evansville Thunderbolts where he had 10 points and 55 penalty minutes in 31 games.

Before playing professionally, Melkert played for SUNY-Fredonia, a NCAA III school for four years and was Captain in his senior year. He played in 90 games and earned 10 points 53 penalty minutes. The following year he played in Germany for 15 games where he had 2 goals and 8 assists for a total of 10 points and 10 penalty minutes.

“I know Cory will bring a professional and positive attitude to our team,” Coach Aldoff said, “I know his game will be appreciated not only by our team, but our fans who will enjoy having him in an Ice Flyers jersey.”

“After speaking with Coach Aldoff and the owner Greg Harris, it is clear that it is a win first attitude and that is something I really want to be a part of. It is on the top of my list and there is no better place for that than Pensacola. I can’t wait to get down there in October and start the journey to winning a championship,” concluded Melkert.

15 minutes ago, RapidFire19 said:

Sounds like he might have pulled a fast one on the Thunderbolts.  Captain last season then suppose to play overseas so not on protected list.  Now signs with Pensacola.  Either way, its a nice signing for Pensacola.

Ice Flyers Sign Rookie Forward Brian Bowen and Defenseman Jesse Kessler

PENSACOLA, Fla. (August 14, 2018) – The Pensacola Ice Flyers announced that Head Coach Rod Aldoff has signed rookies Brian Bowen and Jesse Kessler for the 2018-19 season.

Brian Bowen, a 6’0” 220-lb. forward is a native of Littleton, Massachusetts. He spent the last three years at NCAA University of Vermont where he played in 61 games. He netted 17 goals with 22 assists for a total of 39 points. After the season ended last year, Bowen played 11 games with the Worcester Railers in the ECHL. He had 3 goals and 1 assist.

“Brian is a player who will adjust to the pro game very well. He has good size and strength and will only get better with time. He can win battles and create offense with his strength along the boards,” Aldoff said, “I’m looking forward to seeing him in an Ice Flyers jersey where he can progress his game and help move our team forward each day.”

Jesse Kessler is a 5’10” 190-lb. defenseman from Franklin, Tennessee. He spent the last four years at NCAA Division III Hamline University where he played 107 games. During his time at Hamline, Kessler scored 17 goals and tallied 50 assists for 67 points. He finished his college career with 83 penalty minutes.

“Jesse comes to us after a strong four-year college career. He is someone who will do whatever it takes each and every day to get better. His work ethic and attitude towards the game are strong attributes that he will bring to not only our defense but our team as a whole. Fans will appreciate him both as a person and as a player,” concluded Coach Aldoff.

Pensacola was so excited about that Corey Melkert signing they announced it again today instead of mentioning the new guys on twitter. 🤔

PENSACOLA, Fla. (August 16, 2018) – The Pensacola Ice Flyers announced today that Head Coach Rod Aldoff has signed forward Matt Harrington for the 2018-19 season.

“I am beyond excited to be back playing for the team I started my pro career with!” Harrington said. “I feel so fortunate to be able to play the sport I love in the state I love in front of the most dedicated fans in the league.”

“Matt has been a tremendous player in our league every year that he has played,” Aldoff added, “He plays hard and with a lot of passion.”

The 5’11” 195-lb. forward is no stranger to the SPHL. He first got his start with the Ice Flyers in the 2011-12 season when he earned a main camp roster spot after free agent camp. After main camp he signed a contract and played his first SPHL game with the Ice Flyers before going to the Cape Cod Bluefins of the FHL where he had 41 points in 43 games. The following season he played the first 15 games with the Bluefins where he had 17 points before going to the Mississippi RiverKings. He remained with the RiverKings through the 2017-18.

During his time with the RiverKings, the North Port, Florida native played in 279 games, scored 75 goals, tallied 102 assists and had 177 penalty minutes. He also served as one of the team’s alternate captains. Harrington has also spent time in the ECHL where he has played for the Wheeling Nailers, Alaska Aces and Florida Everblades.

“I’ve always appreciated his style of playing when coaching against him, and I know our fans will enjoy watching him. I’m expecting him to be a leader and to be an impact player for us right from the get go,” Coach Aldoff said.

“I am looking forward to getting to Pensacola and putting in the work with one goal in mind. Winning it all!” Harrington concluded.

PENSACOLA, Fla. (August 30, 2018) – The Pensacola Ice Flyers announced today that Head Coach Rod Aldoff has signed Forward Matt Johnson for the 2018-19 Season.

“I honestly could not be more excited to be back in Pensacola for this upcoming season,” Johnson said, “Everything about playing for the Ice Flyers is top notch; from the ownership to the coaches to the front office and most importantly the best fans in the league!”

“I’m excited to get on the ice and see Matt play,” Aldoff added, “He’s had a good pro career so far, and I expect him to come in and be an elite player and leader for us right from the get go.”

The 6’1” 209-lb. Clinton Township, MI native played for NCAA Lake Superior State University for 93 games across three seasons where he tallied 18 points and 93 penalty minutes. Johnson joined the Greenville Swamp Rabbits of the ECHL after his final college season ended where he played in six games. The following year for the 2016-17 season, he played 43 games for the Swamp Rabbits. He ended the season with six goals and ten assists for 16 points and 23 penalty minutes.

After playing two games for the ECHL Indy Fuel at the start of the 2017-18 season, Johnson played in 24 games for the Ice Flyers before being called up to Greenville. While with the Ice Flyers he had 10 goals and 11 assists for a total of 21 points. He also tallied 27 penalty minutes. During his time with the Greenville Swamp Rabbits he had 4 points in 29 games.

“I know the fans in Pensacola will be happy he’s back to be part of our journey this season in bringing back the SPHL Championship,” Head Coach Aldoff stated.

“I look forward to getting back down to Pensacola and continuing the success I had last season there. I cannot wait to get started and to see all the fans at The Hangar for the home opener!” Johnson concluded.

Here is another player originally signed to play overseas that Pensy has gotten to signed in SPHL instead.

PENSACOLA, Fla. (September 4, 2018) – The Pensacola Ice Flyers announced today that Head Coach Rod Aldoff has signed Brian Billett for the 2018-19 season.

“I am extremely excited and thankful to be coming back to the Ice Flyers organization for another year,” Billett said, “Pensacola has quickly become a second home to me and I can’t wait to get this season going.”

The 6’1”, 190-lb. goalie spent four years at NCAA Division I Boston College where he played in 27 games with a Goals Against Average (GAA) of 3.01 and a save percentage (SV%) of .893. After college he played for the Knoxville Ice Bears from 2015-2017. He had a GAA of 2.74 and a SV% of .915 in 57 games. The Goose Creek, South Carolina native played 21 games last season with the Ice Flyers earning a GAA of 2.67 and a SV% of .899. BIllett was also fourth in the league in GAA last season.

“It’s great having the experience of Brian not only in the SPHL, but as an Ice Flyer back in our net,” Coach Aldoff added, “He’s a focused individual that wants to have his best year yet. I look forward to working with Brian and will rely on him as a leader to take charge on the ice and be a difference maker.”

“There are a lot of new players coming in who will quickly see that Pensacola is a dedicated hockey town and that there is a standard of excellence that must be met. I think that is part of what makes this such a successful organization, along with how well the organization takes care of the players and the support that we have from our fans. I am definitely looking forward to getting on the ice at The Hangar and working towards winning the President’s Cup with the rest of the team,” Billett concluded.

PENSACOLA, Fla. (September 12, 2018) – The Pensacola Ice Flyers announced today that Head Coach Rod Aldoff has re-signed TJ Sarcona for the 2018-19 season.

“It’s a great pleasure to have TJ back in an Ice Flyers jersey this upcoming season,” Head Coach Rod Aldoff said, “His passion and team first attitude will circulate within our dressing room and onto the ice.”

The 5’11” 185-lb. forward played for the Ice Flyers last season for 32 games after suffering from an injury in the home opener that left him out for 19 games in the first half of the season. During the season he tallied six goals and six assists for a total of 12 points and 21 penalty minutes.

Sarcona played in 136 games across four years at NCAA Division I Niagara University where he netted 25 goals and 37 assists for 62 points. He also had 183 penalty minutes. During his junior year he served as one of the team’s alternate captains. After Niagara University’s season ended his senior year, Sarcona played 12 games for the Rapid City Rush of the ECHL where he had four points.

“I look forward to getting to know TJ more. It will be a pleasure coaching him on a day to day basis as we make the push throughout the season towards bringing the championship back to Pensacola,” Aldoff concluded.

Ice Flyers Add Rookies D’Andrea and Freimanis for 2018-19 Season

PENSACOLA, Fla. (September 13, 2018) – The Pensacola Ice Flyers announced that Head Coach Rod Aldoff has signed rookie forward Brett D’Andrea and defenseman Oskars Freimanis for the 2018-19 season.

D’Andrea is entering his first professional season after graduating NCAA Division I Bowling Green State University. Where the 5’11”, 187-lb. forward played for the past four years. In 131 games played he tallied 51 points with 23 goals and 28 assists. In the 2015-16 season he was named to the NCAA All-Academic Team.

“Brett has had great success playing at a high level of college hockey. He’s a player that has good skill and the potential to step into our league and be a noticeable player right away,” Head Coach Aldoff said.

Freimanis, a 6’2”, 220-lb. defenseman grew up in Liepaja, Latvia. He played in the Latvia league from 2014-17 for 125 games scoring 30 goals, 24 assists, for a total of 100 points and 141 penalty minutes. Last season he led all defensemen in total points in the Latvia league with 29. He also was ranked seventh overall in the league for total points.

“Oskars has had great success playing in his home country of Latvia. He is an all-around defenseman that can play in both ends of the arena. I’m looking for him to step right in and be a driving factor for our team both on the ice and off,” Aldoff concluded.

PENSACOLA, Fla. (September 18, 2018) – The Pensacola Ice Flyers have announced today that Head Coach Rod Aldoff has re-signed Canadian defenseman Nathan Bruyere for the 2018-19 season.

“It’s great to have Nathan back in an Ice Flyers jersey,” Head Coach Aldoff stated, “As he heads into his third season, I am expecting him to come in with the confidence to be an elite defenseman every night. He has all the tools to play this game at a high level as well as be a leader for our team on and off the ice.”

“I’m excited about returning to the Ice Flyers and getting another season with the team underway. It is really something else being able to play in front of such passionate fans for a world class organization like Pensacola,” Bruyere said.

The 6’4”, 245-lb. defenseman is a native of Eagle Lake, Ontario, Canada. Bruyere signed in December 2016 for his first professional season with the Ice Flyers. In 42 games he netted 8 goals and added 16 assists for a total of 24 points. He led all rookie defensemen in the SPHL in scoring and was also named to the 2016-17 SPHL All-Rookie Team. The following season he totaled 20 points in 51 games, 8 goals and 12 assists.

Prior to playing pro, Bruyere attended Lakehead University for two years where he played in 41 games and totaled 21 points.

“I am looking forward to working hard on and off the ice towards making my game as good as I absolutely can as we compete towards a championship under Coach Aldoff,” Bruyere added.

“Nathan is a tremendous young man and is well respected on our team. If he comes to play with the edge that he has shown in the past, he will be a strong force for the team on the ice each and every night,” Aldoff finished.

PENSACOLA, Fla. (September 20, 2018) – The Pensacola Ice Flyers announced that Head Coach Rod Aldoff has signed forward Brantley Sherwood for the 2018-19 season.

“Brantley is an extremely hard-working player that I know the fans will appreciate. He will do what it takes day in and day out to get better as a player and in turn do what it takes to make our team better,” said Head Coach Aldoff.

“I couldn’t be more excited to join such a winning organization and coach like the Pensacola Ice Flyers and Coach Rod Aldoff. His winning experience and playing career speak for itself,” stated Sherwood, “I feel as though we share the same philosophies on things like work ethic and how to be a great teammate.”

The 6’0”, 160-lb. San Anselmo, California native has played the last two seasons with the Mississippi RiverKings. In his first season he had 70 penalty minutes in 48 games played. He earned 33 points, 14 goals and 19 assists. This past season he played in 53 games where he had 97 penalty minutes, 15 goals and 20 assists for a total of 35 points.

Before his time in the SPHL he played with the Berlin River Drivers of the FHL where he had 68 penalty minutes and 38 points in 33 games.

Prior to going pro Sherwood played three years at the NCAA Division III level. The first year he played for Plymouth State University where he had 9 points and 29 penalty minutes in 21 games. The final two years he played 35 games for SUNY-Cortland where he totaled 18 points and 79 penalty minutes.

“I’m thrilled to be an Ice Flyer and I can’t wait for the start of the season to show the fans of Pensacola what I can bring to the table night in and night out,” Sherwood added, “The goal is to bring another championship back to Pensacola.”

“His combination of grit and skill makes him a player who is tough to play against every night. I’m looking for him to step right in and be an impact player for the organization from day one,” Aldoff concluded.

Ice Flyers Sign Rookie Forward Perigo and Rookie Defenseman Johansson

PENSACOLA, Fla. (September 25, 2018) – The Pensacola Ice Flyers announced that Head Coach Rod Aldoff has signed rookie forward Daniel Perigo and rookie defenseman Alfred Johansson.

Perigo has spent the last three years with the University of Waterloo. Originally from Truro, Nova Scotia, the 6’0”, 187-lb. forward played in 79 games during his time there. In his freshman season he had 66 penalty minutes in 28 games played, as well as 9 points. In his second season he had 6 points and 50 penalty minutes in 23 games. This past season Perigo played in 28 games, totaling 21 points and 52 penalty minutes.

“Daniel comes to us from a great Canadian university career. He’s a smart player that can play any style of game, knowing and doing what it takes to win in all three zones. He will be a great asset to our team,” Head Coach Rod Aldoff stated.

Johansson, a 6’1”, 205-lb. defenseman spent one year at NCAA Division III Marian University before transferring to NCAA Division III St. Norbert College. During his three years there he played in 83 games and totaled 21 points. The Bromma, Sweden native also won the 2017-18 NCAA III Championship with St. Norbert College.

“Alfie is extremely excited to start his pro career after a stellar college career with St. Norbert College. Originally from Sweden, he has adapted to the North America game very well. He is a defensive defenseman that plays extremely hard and physical every day. His college coach had nothing but praise for his work ethic and his professionalism. I look forward to having him on our backend this season,” Aldoff finished.

19 Man Roster

Goalies

B. Billett

A. D'Agostino

Defensemen

C. Melkert

N. Bruyere

A. Johansson

J. Kessler

O. Freimanis

C. Linjdsman

Forwards