Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

RapidFire19

2018-19 Mayhem Player Signings\Trades\Pre-Season Roster

1 hour ago, Theoriginalalex said:

I probably missed something, but why is Chris Joseph listed as retired? I can’t find any source on that.

Good question last I heard he was resigned.

https://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/mayhem-re-sign-defensive-anchor/n-5383869

5 hours ago, Theoriginalalex said:

I probably missed something, but why is Chris Joseph listed as retired? I can’t find any source on that.

4 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

He posted to his FB page that he decided to retire. His first posted about it was last Wednesday, he then had a follow-up post about it yesterday (?). I cant remember. Sorry, didnt realize everyone didnt follow all\some teams (or players) on social media.

"Sorry, didnt realize everyone didnt follow all\some teams (or players) on social media"

I follow all SP team's social media but not any of the player's.  I'm pretty sure I'm not interested in the things they are interested in.  I'd miss all retirements if they only got posted on the player's social media.  No big deal.  

From his (Chris Joseph) facebook yesterday

Just wanted to take a second to thank everyone for all the texts and support I’ve received over the last few days. This decision to stop playing the game I love has weighed very heavy on me lately and people reaching out to me has meant way more than words can ever describe. I’ll cherish every bond, friendship, and memory I’ve created throughout my 21 years of playing. This chapter might be ending but I still have a whole book left to write

Edited by Make Marky GM

On 9/8/2018 at 4:49 PM, Make Marky GM said:

"Sorry, didnt realize everyone didnt follow all\some teams (or players) on social media"

I follow all SP team's social media but not any of the player's.  I'm pretty sure I'm not interested in the things they are interested in.  I'd miss all retirements if they only got posted on the player's social media.  No big deal.  

From his (Chris Joseph) facebook yesterday

Just wanted to take a second to thank everyone for all the texts and support I’ve received over the last few days. This decision to stop playing the game I love has weighed very heavy on me lately and people reaching out to me has meant way more than words can ever describe. I’ll cherish every bond, friendship, and memory I’ve created throughout my 21 years of playing. This chapter might be ending but I still have a whole book left to write

I don't follow Joseph.....I saw his announcement when it was "shared" to the Macon Fan page. Also, this isn't the original announcement.....this is a follow-up on the announcement.

6 hours ago, RapidFire19 said:

He posted to his FB page that he decided to retire. His first posted about it was last Wednesday, he then had a follow-up post about it yesterday (?). I cant remember. Sorry, didnt realize everyone didnt follow all\some teams (or players) on social media.

No problem, I wouldn't even have noticed if it wasn't for Alex.  Stinks for Macon fans, Joseph was a good player.  No mention why the sudden change of heart.  Must have had an offer he couldn't refuse.

• Like 1

SWAMP RABBITS AGREE TO TERMS WITH IZMIRLIAN

GREENVILLE, S.C. — The Greenville Swamp Rabbits have announced that Chris Izmirlian has signed a contract to join the team for the 2018–19 season. 

Izmirlian spent the majority of the 2017-18 season with the Quad City Mallards after beginning the season in the Southern Professional Hockey League with the Macon Mayhem and Knoxville Ice Bears. In 25 SPHL games, Izmirlian notched 30 points (8g-22a) before tallying 17 points (5g-12a) in 36 games with the Mallards.

The 25-year-old played his college hockey at Yale University, where he tallied 40 points (15g-25a) in 1110 career games from 2013-17.

• Like 1

The Mayhem have acquired a pair of forwards and a defenseman to their training camp roster, Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations Leo Thomas announced today.

Shoring up the team’s speed and attacking depth has been quick on Thomas’ list of priorities in constructing the 2018-19 roster. He has certainly done so by bringing in dynamic forward Brandon Wahlin, who brings experience at the junior, college, and professional level. The 26-year-old spent parts of the last two seasons in the SPHL and is looking to become a full-time member of the Mayhem for the upcoming campaign.

“Brandon is a young man who’s played some games in this league already,” Thomas said. “He’s still considered a rookie but is very excited and has put work in this summer and will get an opportunity to display that at our camp.”

Before beginning his professional career during the 2016-17 season, Wahlin had a dominant junior stint for two years with the Austin Bruins of the North American Hockey League, where he led the team in scoring with 69 points in 52 games in 2012-13. Following his impressive spell at the junior level, Wahlin (5’9, 174) played a season of Division I NCAA hockey at UMass-Amherst before transferring to the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, and eventually Hamline University. From there, he launched his professional debut and spent last season alternating between the SPHL and the Federal Hockey League.

Another acquisition who promises to make a big splash this season is Canadian power forward Adam Cheezo. At just 19, Cheezo (6’2, 201) is the youngest player to be invited to training camp and is one of just two invitees with Major Junior experience under his belt (Jake Trask). All who play at the Major Junior level relinquish their NCAA eligibility with the understanding they will have what it takes to excel at the professional level, and Cheezo is confident he will be able to do so in Macon.

“It’s going to be a huge new experience going to the Mayhem,” Cheezo said. “It will be far from home, but I’m excited to go there and show what I can do!”

The right-winger has played the last three seasons for the Val-d’Or Foreurs of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, where he’s tallied 74 points (24 G, 50 A) in 146 games. Having produced consistently at such a competitive level, Coach Thomas believes in the young gun’s ability to carry his strengths over into the pro landscape.

“Having had a really good major junior career in the QMJHL, Adam is ready to bring a compete level and work on making the jump into the pros,” Thomas said. “I look forward to seeing Adam in camp battling for a spot.”

With a handful of vacancies arising on the blue line this season, Thomas has had to do some shopping to bring aboard a few new defensemen. One player to catch his eye was 22-year-old journeyman Nick Minerva. The New Jersey-born defenseman had played in five different junior leagues before commencing his first season in college last year.

“Nick will bring a heavy, physical style to our back end that we will need,” Thomas said. “He’s another kid who’s coming into his first pro camp and has put in the work to make sure he’s ready.”

Minerva (5’11, 216) is a sizeable, two-way defenseman who has logged solid numbers at virtually every pit stop along his path to the pros. Should he continue producing at a similar pace to what he’s accustomed to, he would make a strong addition to the Mayhem’s defense corps and possibly even help keep the power play successful as it has been in recent years.