Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

RapidFire19

2018-19 Mayhem Player Signings\Trades\Pre-Season Roster

Posted (edited)

Green - Re-Signed

Red - Not Returning\Attending other Training Camp

Orange - Traded

Blue - Vet*

*By SPHL definition, Vets are players who have 224 or more professional games played. Each team is allowed up to 3 vets on their roster. All 3 vets have to have a combined total of less than 900 games played.

Protected List

DChris Joseph Retired

DZach Urban

DJeff Sanders

DJarrett Kup - Signed PTA with Ft. Wayne (ECHL)\Released (10\6\18)

D\FDaniel Gentzler

FCaleb Cameron - Invited toTC in Greenville (ECHL)

FDylan Vander Esch - Signed with Greenville (ECHL)

FKevin Irwin

FJohn Siemer - Signed with Toledo (ECHL)\Released (10\7\18)

FStathis Soumelidis - Invited to TC in Greenville (ECHL)

FChris Izmirlian - Signed with Greenville (ECHL)

FDakota Klecha

FJake Trask - Signed with Greenville (ECHL)

Unprotected Players

G, Charlie Finn

G, Peter Di Salvo - Signed PTA with QCS (SPHL)

G, Greg Dodds - Signed PTO with Peoria (SPHL)

G, Max Milosek - Signed TOA with Huntsville (SPHL)

DBrandon Pfeil - Selected in Expansion Draft by QC

DDaniel Echeverri Retired

DBrandon Parrone - Signed with Norfolk (ECHL)

DJake Faiella - Signed with Toledo (ECHL)Released (10\6\18)

DEric Shand

DVinny Muto - Signed with Greenville (ECHL)

FDylan Denomme - Selected in Expansion Draft by QC

FIan Eckland

FSeth Ronsberg

FDennis Sicard - Retired (Coaching youth hockey)

FJimmy Soper  - Signed with Newfoundland (ECHL)

FStephen Pierog - Signed with Greenville (ECHL)

New Players

G, Jordan Ruby - Brest (France2)\Former SPHL Teams : HUN (15-16)\MAC (16-17)

D, Richard Coyne - Former SPHL Team MRK (15-18)

D, Larry Smith - Former SPHL Team : PEN (3 pg), MAC (4 gp)

G, Gordon Defiel - Former SPHL Team : PEN (17-18)

FDerek Sutliffe - Former SPHL Team : MRK (16-18)

F, Mike Chemello - EC Pfaffenhofen (Germany4)

F, Cody Brown - Univ. of Western Ontario (USports)

FCorey Sherman - Becker College (NCAA III)

FAdam Cheezo - Val-d'Or Foreurs (QJMHL)

FBrandon Wahlin - Former SPHL Teams : PEN\HUN, Former FHL Team : Dansville

DNick Minerva - Aurora Univ.\Neumann Univ. (NCAA III)

FAlexander Taulien - Former SPHL Teams : COL, BIR

2018-19 Mayhem Training Camp

Goalies 

Jordan Ruby - Signed with Greenville (ECHL)

Gordon Defiel - Signed PTA with Ft. Wayne (ECHL)\Released (10\4\18)

Defensemen

# 2 Larry Smith (R)

Richard Coyne - Signed to Rapid City (ECHL)

#6 Zach Urban

#4 Jarrett Kup

#4 Chris Joseph

#22 Brandon Parrone

Nick Minerva (R) - Signed with Cincinnati (ECHL)\Released (10\7\18)

#4 Jake Faiella 

Forwards
#17 John Siemer

#14 Kevin Irwin

Derek Sutliffe - Signed with Rapid City (ECHL)\Released (10\7\18)

Mike Chemello

Cody Brown (R) - Signed with Reading (ECHL)\Released (10\7\18)

#27 Dakota Klecha

#8 Caleb Cameron

#21 Stathis Soumelidis

#28 Seth Ronsberg

#13 Jimmy Soper

Corey Sherman (R)

#29 Jake Trask (V\278)

Adam Cheezo (R)

Brandon Wahlin

Alexander Taulien

Edited by RapidFire19
Updated

MACON, GA- The Macon Mayhem and Director of Hockey Operations Leo Thomas announced the first player signing of the off-season on Tuesday, as the team announced the return of goaltender Jordan Ruby, the 2016-17 SPHL Playoffs Most Valuable Player.

“When Rubes and I stated discussing the possibility of coming back to play for us, I knew I had to make sure we got this deal done,” said Thomas. “Jordan was a great leader and obviously, a huge part of our championship team, and we are thrilled to have him back.”

Ruby, 27, comes back to Macon after playing last season in France for the Brest Albatros, where he posted a record of 20-6 with a 2.16 goals against average (GAA) and .907 save percentage (SV%). The Tavistock, Ontario native led the league in GAA, as well as shutouts with four.

“Our original plan for this season was to play over in Europe. We enjoyed our stay in France last season and we wanted to do another year. My goal was to keep climbing the ladder, but I wasn’t getting any offers that suited our situations,” Ruby explained regarding his return to Macon.

“Around the same time that we had a few offers pending, Leo called me and planted the seed about potentially coming back this year to play for Macon. As soon as I told my wife about the option of going back to the south, it was hard keeping her calm! She was very excited and so I am for this upcoming season.

“My prayer every season is that God opens the doors that need to be open and he closes the doors that need closing,” Ruby continued. “We have peace knowing that this is where God wants us to be this year.”

Prior to his time in France, Ruby spent the 2016-17 season in Macon and was instrumental in the team’s championship run. The 6-1, 195-pound goaltender went 21-6-3 during the 2016-17 regular season with a 2.32 GAA and .925 SV%, and he was even better in the playoffs. He went 6-1, including six consecutive wins, with a 1.38 GAA and .957 SV% on his way to winning the SPHL Playoffs MVP award.

“I’m excited to play for Leo [Thomas] and Ryan [Michel] this season. Leo knows a lot about the game. He’s able to be a good player coach, but he’s also able to drop the hammer on the boys when they need to hear it. He’s young coach with a youthful mindset and that means a fast and exciting gameplay for the fans, as well as a bunch of W’s,” Ruby added.

“Ryan was one of the better defensemen I’ve played with over the years.  That being said, his knowledge and skill as a player will most certainly transition to his coaching ability. He will only help out our team defensively being behind the bench. There is a lot of promise to the team this year and it starts out with the personnel behind the bench.”

Ruby has also spent time professionally in the ECHL, where he has played 22 total games, and with the Huntsville Havoc, where he played 19 games during the 2015-16 season. He was left unprotected by Huntsville after the 2015-16 season and signed with the Mayhem that off-season. Ruby played four years collegiately for Rochester Institute of Technology at the NCAA Division I level.

MACON, GA- The Macon Mayhem bolstered their blue line by signing defensemen Larry Smith and Richard Coyne to training camp agreements, Director of Hockey Operations Leo Thomas announced on Thursday.

Smith, 25, returns to Macon after a short stint with the team at the end of the 2017-18 regular season. After completing his collegiate career at Niagara University late last season, he spent three games with the Pensacola Ice Flyers and four with Macon. The Buffalo, New York native recorded his first career professional point with an assist in the Mayhem’s 4-1 win over the Fayetteville Marksmen on March 31. Smith was not on the Mayhem’s playoff roster, but head coach Leo Thomas was keen on bringing him back.

“We had Smitty for a few games at the end of the season, and every game here, he got better,” Thomas explained. “With his size, skating ability and big shot, he could be a really good asset for our team. I look forward to getting him here in October and seeing him battle at camp.”

After playing four games with Macon, the interest in returning to the team was mutual.

“I had a lot of fun in my short time in Macon. It was a great group of guys in the locker room and I liked the coaching staff a lot,” Smith added. “Leo is a good coach and he’s going to do a great job as the head coach. I can’t wait to get back down there and get back into the swing of things.”

Smith, the 6-3, 210-pound defenseman, finished his four-year NCAA Division I career for the Niagara University Purple Eagles with four goals, 17 assists and 21 points over 98 games. Prior to college, he played his junior career between the Carleton Place Canadians of the Central Canada Hockey League (CCHL), Buffalo Jr. Sabres of the Ontario Junior Hockey League (OJHL) and the Sioux City Musketeers of the United States Hockey League (USHL).

The Mayhem added another reliable defenseman to the mix with the signing of Coyne, the 26-year-old from Cave Creek, Arizona. Coyne has been with the Mississippi RiverKings since the end of the 2015-16 season, when he played seven games for the team after finishing his collegiate career. Since turning professional, he has one goal and ten assists in 83 SPHL games. Coyne’s first professional stint came with Mississippi while Leo Thomas was finishing out his professional career with the RiverKings, so a level of comfort is already established between the two.

“I spent a few games with Leo at the beginning of my career. He was a great player and a great teammate in my short time with him. It’s going to be a little bit different from playing with him, but I’m excited to pick his brain about the game,” Coyne said on playing for Thomas.

“As soon as I found out about Mississippi and talked to Leo about coming to Macon, I was on board. He’s putting together a really good team, and I’m just ecstatic to be a part of it.”

The 6-1, 215-pound defenseman spent his junior and senior seasons with the College of St. Scholastica at the NCAA Division II level, tallying one goal and five assists in 45 games. Prior to that, he played 16 games over two seasons for the University of Alaska-Fairbanks at the NCAA Division I level. He played all but 16 games of his junior career in the USHL.

“Coyne is an experienced defenseman who plays a hard, physical game,” Thomas stated. “He’s a kid with a lot of potential and who’s ready to take his game to the next level. I expect Coyne to be a leader on the back end and continue to get build on his first couple of seasons.”

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I thought a team couldn't resign an unprotected player until after August 1. Is the fact that Smith wasn't on the playoff roster the loophole that allows them to resign him now or did someone screw up?

Edited by vicvegas

35 minutes ago, vicvegas said:

I thought a team couldn't resign an unprotected player until after August 1. Is the fact that Smith wasn't on the playoff roster the loophole that allows them to resign him now or did someone screw up?

I believe it might be because next year he will still be considered a rookie with not that many games played.  Not sure if being left off the playoff roster makes you available to be signed earlier then August 1.  I'm not 100% on that but think its his games played and still being considered a rookie.

58 minutes ago, vicvegas said:

19 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

I believe it might be because next year he will still be considered a rookie with not that many games played.  Not sure if being left off the playoff roster makes you available to be signed earlier then August 1.  I'm not 100% on that but think its his games played and still being considered a rookie.

Spoke with Sin Bin. They said there isn't a "hard count" for rookie status to be lifted, but might be around 20 some games? They also said college kid rookies are allowed to sign before Aug 1st. 

I posted asking about this on Macons Facebook page and this is the response I recieved 

"Since Larry Smith was released from his contract at the end of the regular season and not on our playoff roster, he was not eligible to be protected. Therefore, he was eligible to sign with the Mayhem before August 1st"

• Like 2

That makes sense, Coyne played for Mississippi so I guess their players are all able to sign anywhere at anytime.  That would make a few more players available to sign earlier.  Such as Riley Spraggs and Mike Economos to name a couple off the top of my head.  I'm guessing players that weren't on playoff rosters but on season ending IR and left off protected lists like Taylor Love and Dennis Sicard probably have to wait until after August 1st.

MACON, GA- The Macon Mayhem re-signed one of its top scorers on Tuesday, as Director of Hockey Operations Leo Thomas announced the signing of forward John Siemer for the 2018-19 season.

“Siems has been here two years now, and I expect him to be a leader on this team,” added Thomas. “He’s a guy who can play a 200-foot game and show the younger guys how to play the right way. He has been one of our top forwards over the last two years, and I expect him to be one again this year."

Siemer, 26, returns to Macon for this third season with the team and third professional season. The speedy 5-9, 185-pound forward had his best professional season last year, tallying 20 goals, 32 assists and 52 points in 56 regular season games, and he also added five points in six playoff games.

“I’m excited to get started with Leo – working with him after practice and having him on the bench with us is always a comforting feeling,” said Siemer. “He has a certain swag to him, so I know the team he builds for this year will be a good and entertaining one.”

The Baldwin Park, California native has racked up 37 goals, 60 assists and 97 points in 104 career SPHL games, while also recording one point over 11 ECHL games in his two years professionally. Siemer spent three years playing NCAA Division I hockey at Northern Michigan University, notching 16 goals, 27 assists and 43 points in 85 games.

MACON, GA- The Macon Mayhem added two more players to the fold on Thursday, as Director of Hockey Operations Leo Thomas announced the additions of defenseman Zach Urban and goaltender Gordon Defiel.

“Zach is a big defenseman who after taking some time off of hockey, came to us and became a very solid defenseman for our club,” said Thomas. “I’m excited to have him for a full season this year, and I look forward to seeing him take his game to the next level.”

Urban, 24, comes back to Macon after playing 36 regular season and six playoff games last season for the team. The 6-3, 205-pound defenseman had one goal and 17 assists between the regular and post-season, which was his first professional season. Urban played two seasons at Northern Michigan University alongside Mayhem teammate John Siemer from 2014 through 2016, recording one goal and six assists in 43 games. Prior to college, the Bow Valley, Alberta native played 176 games in the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) from 2010 through 2014, tallying 12 goals, 54 assists and 66 points.

“I can’t wait to get back to Macon and get back into the swing of things,” said Urban. “Leo’s a really good coach and I’ve heard nothing but good things about [assistant coach] Ryan Michel. So, I’m excited to get a full year of work with them and continue to improve.”

With the signing of Defiel, the Mayhem have created one of the best goaltending duos in the SPHL. The 25-year-old goaltender from Stillwater, Minnesota played 22 games last season for the Pensacola Ice Flyers, recording 13-5-3 record, 2.61 goals against average (GAA) and .911 save percentage (SV%). Defiel was named the SPHL’s STX Player of the Month for December after posting a record of 8-0-1 with a 1.77 GAA and .939 SV%. Along with his time in the SPHL, he also played one game for the Orlando Solar Bears of the ECHL.

“I’m really excited to join the Macon Mayhem. I’ve been talking to Leo all summer and I’m excited to get started,” Defiel explained.

“I’ve heard nothing but good things about the team and the organization. I’m really looking forward to playing with such a tight knit group that has one goal in mind, which is winning a championship.”

“Gordon had a very successful start to his professional career last year,” said Thomas. “He’s a young man with a great attitude and a great work ethic, which will allow him to fit right in with the group we have. Along with [Jordan] Ruby, I think we have two very solid goaltenders.”

Defiel played three seasons collegiately for Lake Superior State University, nothing a 2.88 GAA and .915 SV% over 99 games. The 6-0, 197-pound goaltender recorded seven shutouts in his three seasons for the Lakers.

MACON, GA- The Macon Mayhem and Director of Hockey Operations Leo Thomas announced on Thursday that the team has re-signed forward Kevin Irwin and defenseman Jarrett Kup.

Irwin, 25, came to the Mayhem for a 17-game stint between the regular and post-season at the end of last year. He collected two goals and two assists in 11 regular season games, but he exploded in the playoffs for four goals and three assists in just six games.

“Kevin is a skilled forward who really showed his talent in the playoffs last season,” said Thomas. He really took off once he got acclimated with the guys and our system, and I’m excited to build off of that. I think he has a ton of potential, so we’re glad to have him back in the mix with our deep forward group.”

A native of Akron, Ohio, Irwin played three seasons collegiately at the University of Vermont before turning pro, tallying nine goals, 19 assists and 28 points in 71 games. The 5-11, 185-pound forward also played 202 games in the United States Hockey League (USHL), the United States’ premier junior hockey league, where he had 60 goals, 41 assists and 101 points.

“I’m excited to get back to Macon and build off the time I had there last year,” said Irwin. “With the core we’re bringing back, we’re going to have a great group in the locker room and have a really good team.”

Kup, 25, also had a short stint in Macon last season, playing eight games after finishing his collegiate hockey career at Curry College. The Rosseau, Ontario native recorded four assists before being placed on team suspension, allowing him to return to school.

“Jarrett is a very smart player, and if he didn’t have to go back to school last year, he might have been a big piece on our playoff roster,” Thomas noted. “He’s a very good skater and has a high hockey IQ. He’s going to get a chance to work with a really good defenseman in [assistant coach] Ryan Michel, and I think that’s really going to help him take his game to the next level.”

Standing at 6-0, 185-pounds, the puck-moving defenseman spent four years at Curry College, tallying 16 goals, 33 assists and 49 points in 90 games. Kup also spent time in the Ontario Junior Hockey League (OJHL), Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League (GOJHL) and Central Canada Hockey League (CCHL).

“I’m really looking forward to getting back down to Macon. It’s something that has been on my mind since I went back to school. It’s a really nice town and the fans were great,” Kup explained.

“It’s going to be a little different with Leo as the head coach, but I dealt a lot with him as the defensive coach last year. He always has a lot of good things to say, and the guys in the room really respect him. I’m excited to get to work.”

MACON, GA - The Macon Mayhem continue to add to a deep forward group on Tuesday, as Director of Hockey Operations Leo Thomas announced the signing of forward Derek Sutliffe.

Coach had this to say about the 26 year old forward, "I'm very excited we were able to get Derek signed in Macon. He's a complete player with a great attitude. With his high end skill set he will bolster our forward group." Coach Thomas went on to say, "He will fit right in with what we are building here in Macon."

The 26-year-old Sutliffe will be entering his second full season of professional hockey in 2018-19. He has played 36 games for the Mississippi RiverKings over the past two seasons, tallying 15 goals, 22 assists and 37 points in that span. He also played 33 games for the Greenville Swamp Rabbits last season, recording two goals and two assists.

Prior to his professional career, the Las Vegas, Nevada native spent four years at the NCAA Division III level for the College of St. Scholastica. In 111 games for the Saints, he had 35 goals, 43 assists and 78 points. The 6-1, 174-pound forward played junior hockey in the British Columbia Hockey league (BCHL) and North American Hockey League (NAHL).

MACON, GA- The Macon Mayhem added two new names to the 2018-19 training camp roster when Director of Hockey Operations Leo Thomas announced the signings of forwards Mike Chemello and Cody Brown.

“Mike [Chemello] is a player who plays a strong 200-foot game and will bring a great compete level to our club,” explained Thomas. “I can’t wait to get him in here and see him compete to earn a spot on our team this year”

Chemello, 26, makes his SPHL debut this season after playing last season in Germany for EC Plaffenhoffen. During his time in Germany, he tallied 16 goals, 10 assists and 26 points during 25 games. Prior to competing in Germany, the 6-2, 185-pound forward played for Florida Gulf Coast University at the American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA) level, the same team as Mayhem defensemen Daniel Echeverri.

“I have heard great things about coach Leo and the organization from Dan (Echeverri),” explained Chemello.

“This is my first time playing hockey in North America since graduating college. It is a step I have always wanted to take; coming from the club level, we don’t always get the same chances. I am thankful for Coach Leo and the Mayhem Organization for giving me this opportunity. I can’t wait to get to Macon and start to be a part of a great culture and organization”. “Cody Brown is a great skater with some good offensive abilities. I look forward to watching Cody battle in camp and prove that he is ready to make an impact for our team” explained Thomas.

The 6-0, 170-pound comes to the Mayhem after finishing his collegiate career with the University of Western Ontario in the USports league. In four seasons for the Mustangs, Cody finished with 14 goals, 10 assists and 24 points in 35 games.

“I have heard nothing but good things about Coach Leo, and I know that he is building a team that can compete to win championships. I am looking forward to the start of the season for the opportunity to show what I can do and to bring another championship here,” mentioned Brown.

Mayhem Re-Sign Defensive Anchor

MACON, GA - The Macon Mayhem and Director of Hockey Operations Leo Thomas announced the return of former Mayhem defensemen Chris Joseph for the 18-19 season.

Chris is a very solid 2 way defensemen who I will be leaning on to be a leader on and off the ice," said Thomas. " He knows what we expect here and is very familiar with the product we put on the ice. I am very excited to get this deal done and have Chris back out on the ice for us this season."

Joseph, 27, comes back to Macon after playing most of last season in the ECHL with the Jacksonville IceMen. While in Jacksonville, Joseph recorded 5 assists and 14 penalty minutes in 31 games for the IceMen. The Levittown, NY native also recorded 1 goal in 13 games played in Macon at the start of last season.

"I am excited to be able to come back to Macon. Ever since I first arrived my first season it has felt like home. The organization has always made me feel welcomed, and I love being a part of the winning culture in Macon" Said Joseph. "Leo brings a wealth of playing experience as well as great leadership as a player and a coach. I have no doubt that he will be able to bring that winning attitude and a championship back to Macon."

MACON, GA- The Macon Mayhem welcomed two players back into the fold on Tuesday, as Director of Hockey Operations Leo Thomas announced the re-signing of forwards Stathis Soumelidis and Caleb Cameron for the 2018-19 season.

“Stathis brings the veteran presence to our club and has gotten better every year in Macon; his size and compete-level is the Mayhem style of hockey we try and put on the ice every year,” Thomas said. “I look for him to take another huge stride in his career.”

Soumelidis, 24, had a career-year last season, as he collected 17 goals, 23 assists and 40 points for the Mayhem in 47 regular season games. He also tallied one goal and seven assists in six playoff games. Soumelidis also played eight games for the ECHL’s Adirondack Thunder, recording one assist and two fights. The 2016-17 season was the 6-2, 220-pound forward’s first season with Macon, and he had 10 goals and 10 assists in 45 games.

“I am really excited about coming back and do my third year for the Mayhem,” Soumelidis said. “I believe it’s going to be a great year with Leo as a head coach. I love playing for this organization and the fans they are the biggest reason I want to come back.”

Soumelidis, a native of Brno, Czech Republic, spent 23 games during the 2015-16 season playing alongside Leo Thomas for the Mississippi RiverKings. Prior to turning professional, he played junior hockey in the Czech Republic, the North American Hockey League (NAHL) and the Western Hockey League (WHL).

The 25-year-old left-winger Cameron also re-signed today, and is someone Thomas is thrilled about the prospect of coaching for another season.

“Caleb had a very strong first professional season with us last year and can be a top point-getter in our league and for our club,” Mayhem Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations Leo Thomas said. “He’s a mature player who will bring a good overall style of hockey.”

A native of Sundridge, Ontario, Cameron kicked off his pro career with a bang last season, scoring at nearly a point-per-game pace with 40 (20 goals, 20 assists) in 45 games. Just weeks after signing with the Mayhem last November, he notched a hat trick on the road against the Roanoke Rail Yard Dogs less than 24 minutes into the contest, which would be the fastest hat trick recorded in team history.

“It feels great to possibly be coming back to Macon,” Cameron said. “Macon became a second home for myself and my girlfriend. I told Leo there was nowhere else I’d rather be in the SPHL. The fans, staff and team are number one in the league and I hope we can bring another championship back to them again this year!”

The Canadian winger will look to shore up the Mayhem’s scoring potential for the upcoming season, providing a proven track record of success from his junior career in Ontario, as well as his college career at the Rochester Institute of Technology (NCAA DI).

Both Soumelidis and Cameron have been invited to attend a training camp for the Greenville Swamp Rabbits of the East Coast Hockey League, where former Macon Head Coach Kevin Kerr presides as the bench boss. Greenville’s camp will begin on Monday, October 1st.

Greenville, SC – The Greenville Swamp Rabbits announced today that forward Stephen Pierog has signed an ECHL contract with the Swamp Rabbits for the upcoming 2018-19 season. The right-handed skater played 15 points (7G, 8A) for Atlanta last season in his first ECHL action.

Pierog, 24, played 41 games for the Gladiators in the 2017-18 campaign and added a pair of playoff appearances. His addition to the Gladiators lineup came after the 5-foot-11 forward began the season with the Macon Mayhem. In 23 games, Pierog net seven goals and added 15 assists before earning his call up to the ECHL.

Previously, Pierog played two seasons for the Mayhem and was a key offensive contributor. As a rookie, he tallied 12 points (7G, 5A) in 28 games after signing a contract on January 15. The following season he signed with the Mayhem and ranked fourth on the club in scoring with 41 points and led the team with 29 assists. Pierog helped the Mayhem to a 2016 Presidents Cup title with four goals in the playoffs and re-signed with the team during the offseason.

“We had Stephen in Macon for a few seasons and his progression was impressive each year,” said Coach Kerr. “I’m very excited have the opportunity to work with him again and see what the experience in the ECHL last season did for his game. He has a never-quit mentality and is a fierce competitor. Having Stephen on the roster gives us some scoring depth and speed at the center position.

The Guelph, Ontario native broke onto the pro scene in 2015 after four seasons in the OHL. Pierog began his major junior trek with the Peterborough Petes for parts of three seasons. The alternate captain was then traded to his hometown Guelph Storm before wrapping up his time in the OHL with the Sarnia Sting. Pierog totaled 117 points (56G, 61A) in 263 games from 2011 to 2015.

Pierog is the 14th player to sign an offseason deal with the Swamp Rabbits. The list of players also includes goaltender Garrett Bartus, forwards Austen Brassard, Mike Pelech, Travis Howe, Alex Globke, Timmy Moore, Will Merchant, JT Henke and Johno May and defensemen Jake Bolton, JC Brassard, Trevor Owens, and Sean Flanagan. As the offseason continues, stay tuned to SwampRabbits.com for a full updated list of players to sign for the upcoming season.

FB_IMG_1534616405721.jpg

Greenville, SC – The Greenville Swamp Rabbits announced today that three collegiate players have come to contract agreements with the club. Forward Dylan Vander Esch, and defensemen Luke Ripley and Kyle Chatham have all inked deals with the Swamp Rabbits and will join the team for the 2018-19 campaign.

“Each of these players brings something different to the table,” said Swamp Rabbits head coach Kevin Kerr. “Dylan has a lot of offensive upside to his game and we are looking to develop him into a full 200-foot player. On the defensive side, Luke is a big body who plays physical in the defensive zone and will a big help in front of the net. Kyle got a chance to see what ECHL hockey looks like last year and gives us some puck-moving depth on the blue line.”

Vander Esch, 24, turned pro at the end of last season after playing four seasons at SUNY Potsdam. His first action in the pro circuit was with the Wheeling Nailers in February before heading to the Macon Mayhem. The San Jose, California native produced 16 points (7G, 9A) in 12 games with the Mayhem and was fourth on the team in the postseason with six points (1G, 5A) in six games. The 6-foot-1 forward collected 101 points (62G, 39A) in 100 NCAA Division III games and captained the Bears in the 2017-18 campaign.

Ripley, 24, was a four-year skater at Notre Dame and served a pair of seasons as alternate captain for his alma-mater. The 6-foot-5, 207-pound blue liner was a defensive stalwart, playing 120 games, earning 15 points (3G, 12A) and a plus-11 rating in his collegiate career. As a sophomore, the Kitimat, British Columbia native was second among defensemen on the team with a plus-12 rating. Before enrolling with the Fighting Irish, Ripley played a pair of seasons for the Powell River Kings in the BCHL.

Chatham, 25, saw his first pro action with the Reading Royals last season. The rookie skater played three games after playing his senior season at Lake Superior State University. The blue liner was a four-year regular for the Lakers, suiting up for 146 career games and earning 24 points (5G, 19A). As a junior, the Belleville, Illinois native was named the club’s most valuable defenseman and set career bests in goals, assists, and points. Chatham also teamed up with Ripley in 2013-14 on Powell River, reaching the division final.

The additions of Vander Esch, Ripley, and Chatham give the Swamp Rabbits 17 players on the offseason roster. The list also includes goaltender Garrett Bartus, forwards Stephen Pierog, Austen Brassard, Mike Pelech, Travis Howe, Alex Globke, Timmy Moore, Will Merchant, JT Henke and Johno May and defensemen Jake Bolton, JC Brassard, Trevor Owens, and Sean Flanagan. As the offseason continues, stay tuned to SwampRabbits.com for a full updated list of players to sign for the upcoming season.

MACON, GA- The Macon Mayhem have announced the re-signing of two returners from the 2017-18 season, as Director of Hockey Operations Leo Thomas has locked down both Brandon Parrone and Seth Ronsberg.

“Parrone was a key addition to our club later in the season and fit right into our locker room when he arrived,” Thomas said. “He’s well-liked by his teammates and brings that natural leadership to our club.”

Parrone (26) played his first professional season last year and became a strong defensive presence with the Mayhem when he was brought aboard in mid-March. He played ten games in a Mayhem uniform, boasting a +7 rating over that span.

“I am extremely excited to come back! I can’t wait to pick up where we left off last season and I think Leo brought in some great new additions that will give us a real shot at a championship,” Parrone said. “I’m also looking forward to seeing the great fan support we got last year.”

Prior to joining the Mayhem last season, Parrone played 38 games with the Pensacola Ice Flyers, tallying seven points (1 G, 6 A). After a full, four-year NCAA career at the College of St. Scholastica, the Peoria, Arizona-born defenseman made his mark on the professional landscape as a dependable blue-liner in his rookie campaign. In 2017-18, he earned an impressive +24 rating in 48 total games, which was third-highest among all defensemen in the SPHL.

As for Ronsberg, labeling him a player of any single position would be a slight misnomer. While he is a center by trade, he is highly versatile and played as a defenseman for much of last season. He totaled 38 games for the Mayhem in 2017-18, notching 11 points (2 G, 9 A) and a +2 rating. Thomas looks forward to having a strong utility player like Ronsberg back in the fold.

“Ronsberg really stepped up for us last season playing both forward and defense,” Thomas said. “He is a great team guy with a great attitude who will do anything for his teammates, and he comes to work day in and day out.”

Adaptable players are invaluable and can never be in overabundance. The 27-year-old is a veteran of professional hockey, having begun his career in the 2012-13 season with the Mississippi Surge. Since then, he’s played for a number of teams in both the SPHL and the FHL, and could have signed elsewhere this season as he--like Parrone--was not on the protected list. However, the Lake Elmo, Minnesota native enjoyed his time in Macon so much, he was thrilled to re-sign and come back for another stint.

“I’m really excited to put the Mayhem jersey back on this year! I’m looking forward to playing for Coach Leo,” Ronsberg said. “Macon’s a top-notch organization and the fans are the best to play for. It feels like home.”

Thomas is confident the securing of these two familiar faces will be integral to the Mayhem’s success in the 2018-19 season. “When building teams, you definitely want players like these two guys,” Thomas said. “I’m thrilled to have them back!”

MACON, GA- The Macon Mayhem have signed returner Jimmy Soper and newcomer Corey Sherman to their roster, Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations Leo Thomas announced today.

“Soper brings that hard work, grit and overall compete level to our club,” Thomas said. “He’s a player with a lot of potential who gained valuable experience with us last season.”

Soper (23) played for the Mayhem around the final third of the 2017-18 season, registering 20 games and tallying 10 points (3 G, 7 A). He scored a goal in his first-ever SPHL game last season, striking on the road in a 7-1 blowout victory over the Huntsville Havoc.

“I couldn’t be more excited to come back and do anything I can to help the team win,” Soper said.

The Waterloo, Ontario native also brings a full season of major junior experience, having played 50 games in 2013-14 for the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League. His introduction to professional hockey began last season with the Danville Dashers of the Federal Hockey League, and he is now turning his attention towards building off his first pro campaign.

Sherman, on the other hand, is a new recruit and will be looking to kick off his pro career in Macon. Born in Hilton, New York, Sherman has played the last four seasons for Becker College in Worcester, Massachusetts. Over the course of his NCAA career, the 25-year-old collected 50 points (18 G, 32 A) in 88 games played.

“Corey will be one of the fresh faces on our team, entering his first pro camp,” Thomas said. “He brings a lot of speed and plays bigger than his size shows. He will get a good opportunity to make this club and I’m excited to see what he does in camp.”

Though a smaller player (5’8” 170), Sherman promises to pack a punch and add some flare to the Mayhem lineup. He looks forward to the chance lying ahead, eager to prove himself among a roster full of veterans.

“I’m excited for this opportunity,” Sherman said. “I’ll be looking to come in and earn a spot on the team and be ready to get to work!”

The Macon Mayhem have made another splash in their offseason and have re-signed their leading scorer Jake Trask, Head Coach and Director of Hockey Ops Leo Thomas announced today.

“Any time you can bring back the leading scorer of the league is good news,” Thomas said. “Trask is a leader on the ice and has the ability to score those clutch goals when we need them.”

Trask (27), the Mayhem’s leading scorer over the past two seasons, began his SPHL career in 2013 with the Louisiana IceGators and has been an incredibly productive player ever since, having scored at a nearly point-per-game pace throughout. Last year was the best season of his career, as he shattered the all-time franchise record for points in a single season with 69 (27 G, 42 A) and ranked second in the entire SPHL behind Knoxville’s Berkley Scott.

“It feels great to be coming back, it’s been a long summer and I’m ready to start camp and get the season going,” Trask said. “Macon has been my home away from home for the last two and a half years. It sounds like Leo and Ryan have both worked hard and done some great recruiting to have another competitive camp leading up to opening night.”

The alternate captain centered the Mayhem’s top line and power play unit all throughout the 2017-18 campaign, playing in all but four regular season games. He is a pro hockey veteran at this point, having now played a total of 295 professional games over the course of five seasons. The Saskatoon, Saskatchewan native was also a part of the 2016-17 President’s Cup Championship team, leading the Mayhem in postseason scoring during the championship run.

A seasoned playmaker with a championship and five years of pro experience under his belt, Trask (6’0, 175) is poised for another prolific campaign and promises to be an integral part of the Mayhem’s leadership core for the upcoming season.

I probably missed something, but why is Chris Joseph listed as retired? I can’t find any source on that.