Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

RapidFire19

2018-19 Dawgs Player Signings\Trades\Pre-Season Roster

On 9/17/2018 at 1:49 PM, LeftySlammer92 said:

I just noticed the fact that we've essentially been cherry-picking Peoria's roster. Honestly I think we're going to be pretty damn good this year. 

If you're gonna cherry-pick, we're the team with the tree to harvest. :thumbsup2:

ROANOKE, Va. – The Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs announced on Wednesday that forward Phil Bronner and defenseman Patrick Harrison have signed agreements to return to Roanoke for training camp in October.

Bronner returns for what will be his third season with the Rail Yard Dawgs. He appeared in 49 games during the 2017-18 campaign and scored seven goals along with 16 assists. The veteran winger was originally acquired in a trade with the Evansville Thunderbolts during the 2016-17 season and enters his sixth season as a pro.

“Bronner is a big, physical player that showed last year he can also bring some scoring around the net,” said Rail Yard Dawgs head coach Dan Bremner. He’s a great locker room guy who has bought into the team culture.”

Harrison gears up for his fourth professional season having split the previous three between the SPHL and FHL. The defenseman skated for five different teams in 2017-18, including the Birmingham Bulls, Pensacola Ice Flyers, Evansville Thunderbolts, the FHL’s Cornwall Nationals and eventually the Rail Yard Dawgs. Harrison played two games at the end of the regular season and appeared in both of Roanoke’s playoff games.

“Harrison joined us late last year and immediately made an impact on the back end,” said Bremner. “He plays with a lot of passion and physicality. I’ll be looking for him to step into a leadership role and log some big minutes for us.”

The Rail Yard Dawgs will convene for training camp on October 8 and open their regular season on October 19 in Fayetteville against the Marksmen. Roanoke’s home opener, presented by Haley Toyota, will take place on October 20 at 7:05 PM against the Knoxville Ice Bears.

Rail Yard Dawgs season tickets and flex packs are on sale now! Get yours by visiting the new Rail Yard Dawgs office at Lancerlot in Vinton or over the phone at 540-266-7343.

1 hour ago, RapidFire19 said:

The defenseman skated for five different teams in 2017-18, including the Birmingham Bulls, Pensacola Ice Flyers, Evansville Thunderbolts, the FHL’s Cornwall Nationals and eventually the Rail Yard Dawgs. Harrison played two games at the end of the regular season and appeared in both of Roanoke’s playoff games.

Harrison also been with the Rivermen, the Havoc and the now-defunct IceGators in the past:

2015-16 6.png Brewster Bulldogs FHL 23 0 11 11 35 3 |              
  6.png Louisiana IceGators  SPHL 5 0 0 0 0 -3 |              
  6.png Dayton Demolition FHL 20 1 7 8 10 12 | Playoffs 2 0 1 1 13 -2
2016-17 6.png Berlin River Drivers FHL 33 3 17 20 41 18 | Playoffs 7 0 2 2 8 0
  6.png Huntsville Havoc  SPHL 7 2 1 3 7 1 |              
  6.png Peoria Rivermen  SPHL 6 0 4 4 6 7 |              
2017-18 6.png Birmingham Bulls SPHL 2 0 0 0 0 2 |              
  3.png Cornwall Nationals FHL 11 1 7 8 17   |              
  6.png Pensacola Ice Flyers  SPHL 18 1 2 3 13 3 |              
  6.png Evansville Thunderbolts  SPHL 10 0 2 2 9 0 |              
  6.png Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
Edited by PlannedObsolescence

Didn't realize Bronner was a Vet. I guess that pretty much means Sova isn't coming back.

On 9/18/2018 at 5:39 PM, RapidFire19 said:

They can do same as Knoxville. You can sign over 900 limit for vets for training camp.....but when opening night roster is due, all vets have to be under the 900 limit. Knoxvile has their vet limit over 900, they will have to cut a veteran.

On 9/18/2018 at 5:55 PM, Theoriginalalex said:

See my above reply. If your 3 vets are under 900 on opening night, you’re fine for as long as they’re the 3 on the roster. If you bring in a different vet that could change things.

On 9/18/2018 at 5:55 PM, RapidFire19 said:

No if they are under when season starts they are good. I think the rule is only for start of season. If they pass the 900 during the season, they can finish the season....but can't play together the next season. 

5 hours ago, PlayaHtr said:

Didn't realize Bronner was a Vet. I guess that pretty much means Sova isn't coming back.

PlayaHtr, this concern and question is being asked alot. I've quoted 3 other comments that should answer this to the best of our knowledge. 

As you see in the first "quote box", Knoxville has vets over the 900 limit signed to camp. In order to get under the 900 limit someone "WILL GET CUT". With that being said, I believe that you could sign 20-30 guys who are vets to training camp. When opening night rosters are due, you have to have up to 3 vets combined under the 900 limit.

4 hours ago, PlayaHtr said:

I didn't either, but by my count its 259 games for him.  So if Sova does come into camp, one of our veterans will have to be cut.

• Like 1

I still would like to get an official response to Dion's games played. 222 pro games on Hockeydb vs 273 on Elite pro Prospects.

22 minutes ago, PlayaHtr said:

I still would like to get an official response to Dion's games played. 222 pro games on Hockeydb vs 273 on Elite pro Prospects.

Its the higher number, the games in Finland count as Professional.

• Like 1

ZACH TATRN, TANNER CREEL INKED

Center, rookie goaltender join training camp roster

ROANOKE, Va. – The Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs announced on Saturday that forward Zach Tatrn and rookie goaltender Tanner Creel have been signed to agreements to join the team for training camp in October.

Tatrn returns to the Roanoke Valley for his third go-around with the Rail Yard Dawgs. The 27-year-old center appeared in 35 games around two IR stints in 2017-18 and had four goals, 14 assists and a +5 plus/minus rating. In 33 games with the Dawgs in 2016-17 Tatrn netted 14 goals along with eight assists after signing with the team in January.

“Tatrn is a big body that’s proven he can put up numbers offensively,” said Rail Yard Dawgs head coach Dan Bremner. “We’ll be looking for him to contribute more physically this season.”

Creel enters his first professional season after completing his college career at the University of Connecticut. In three seasons at UCONN, he appeared in 21 games and went 8-5-2 with a 3.20 GAA and a .900 save percentage. He also played one season at Army West Point and has appeared for both the Tri-City Storm in the USHL and the Odessa Jackalopes in the NAHL.

“I’ve heard great things about Creel’s quickness and his work ethic,” said Bremner. “He comes out of a tough division one college conference and I’m excited to see what he can show us at camp.”

The Rail Yard Dawgs will assemble for training camp on October 8 and open their regular season on October 19 in Fayetteville against the Marksmen. Roanoke’s home opener, presented by Haley Toyota, will take place on October 20 at 7:05 PM against the Knoxville Ice Bears.

Looks like we got another Brad Barone reincarnated.  They are both about the same size.  Nice to see Tatrn back.  I'm ready for some hockey!!!

Just saw Matt Zenzola is headed to training camp with the Rapid City Rush. The same announcement said Tyler Parks will be in that camp as well.

ROANOKE, Va. – The Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs announced on Tuesday that forward Maxime Guyon and defenseman Yan Dumontier have each been signed and will return to the team for training camp in October.

Guyon and Dumontier each joined the Rail Yard Dawgs in February of 2018 from the FHL’s Cornwall Nationals. In 30 games for Cornwall, Guyon netted 32 goals and 31 assists. He was second in the FHL in goals at the time of his signing with the Dawgs.

“Maxime quickly established himself as a significant scoring threat in the SPHL,” said Rail Yard Dawgs head coach Dan Bremner. “Although he shows a great deal of offensive ability, he’s always working to improve his game as a complete player.”

Guyon kept his scoring touch after arriving in Roanoke as he put up 11 goals and eight assists and skated to a +6 plus/minus in 16 games for Roanoke. He recorded a hat trick during the Dawgs’ 6-2 win over the Fayetteville Marksmen on March 29.

“I’m very excited to see what Max can do with a full year here in Roanoke,” said Bremner

Dumontier skated in 13 games on the Dawgs blue line and registered two assists. Over 28 games for Cornwall, he had two goals and 12 assists.

“Yan was a great addition late in the year for us,” said Bremner. “He added depth to our back end by playing a simple and effective game.”

The Rail Yard Dawgs will assemble for training camp on October 8 and open their regular season on October 19 in Fayetteville against the Marksmen. Roanoke’s home opener, presented by Haley Toyota, will take place on October 20 at 7:05 PM against the Knoxville Ice Bears.

• Like 1

NEW FACES CARVALHO, O’BRIEN SIGN WITH DAWGS

ROANOKE, Va. – The Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs announced on Thursday that forward Jordan Carvalho and defenseman Nate O’Brien have each been signed to join the team for training camp in October.

Carvalho joins the Rail Yard Dawgs for his second professional season. The Brampton, Ontario native began his professional career in the SPHL in the 2017-18 season with four games with the Mississippi RiverKings before joining the Peoria Rivermen for the remainder of the campaign. He combined for six goals and 19 assists over 50 games between the two teams.

“Carvalho is a very solid two-way center that excels on the penalty kill and taking face-offs,” said Rail Yard Dawgs head coach Dan Bremner. “I am expecting him to add a lot of depth down the middle.”

A 26-year-old center, Carvalho played his college hockey at Morrisville State University where he put up 27 goals and 72 assists over 97 games in his four seasons. During his senior season in 2016-17, he registered six goals and 31 assists over 25 games. His 31 assists were the second most in NCAA DIII hockey that season.

O’Brien heads to Roanoke after playing the last two seasons in the FHL for the Watertown Wolves. During his two years in Watertown the defenseman recorded a combined six goals and 19 assists over 69 games. Prior to joining the Wolves, O’Brien made his professional debut for Tierps HK in Sweden during the 2015-16 season.

“O’Brien is a gritty defenseman that we were actually trying to acquire during last year’s season,” said Bremner. “I’m excited to see what kind of energy and physicality he brings to camp.”

Surprise, surprise, another Peoria player.  We are picking them clean like they were the team to fold instead of Mississippi!  

• Like 2

Cam Bakker, Patrick Harrison and Eric Witzel are all on the South Carolina Stingrays Training Camp Roster. 

For Dawg Taylor Love is on Rapid City's Training Camp roster with as previously mentioned for goalie Matt Zenzola.

Nice to see us resigning lots of players who played for us each year.  Even some we got rid of are coming back.  Even pulling a lot of players from other teams, or mostly one team Peoria.  Especially ones left off the protected lists.  Just shows our coach and management is doing a pretty good job and players like playing here.

7 hours ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

So what's the story on Joe Sova, is he done playing?

Thats the rumors i've been hearing.  I know he said it was a possibility after last season.  Haven't heard any signing or him going to training camps.  So that's my best guess.

1 hour ago, Greg81102 said:

Thats the rumors i've been hearing.  I know he said it was a possibility after last season.  Haven't heard any signing or him going to training camps.  So that's my best guess.

That sucks, I thought Sova played hard and brought a blue collar attitude.