Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Marksmen3519

2018-19 Dawgs Player Signings\Trades\Pre-Season Roster

Posted (edited)

Green - Re-Signed

Red- Not Returning\Attending other Training Camp

Orange - Traded

Blue - Vet*

*By SPHL definition, Vets are players who have 224 or more professional games played. Each team is allowed up to 3 vets on their roster. All 3 vets have to have a combined total of less than 900 games played.

Protected List

G, Brad Barone

DJoe Sova

DTravis Armstrong

DBrian Rowland

DCam Bakker

FSteve Mele

FMaxime Guyon

FEric Witzel

FZach Tatrn

FPhil Bronner

FColin Murray

FMatt Beer- Signed with Limburg Eaters Geleen (BeNeLiga)

FGrant Garvin

Unprotected Players

G, Matt Zenzola

DPatrick Harrison

DYan Dumontier

DTaylor Love

DBalazs Goz

D\FNick Schneider

FRiley Spraggs

FDavid Gandara - Retired

FChris Porter - Retired (became Assistant Coach at Stouffville Spirit)

FDaniel Vernace

FJohn Gustafsson

FMitchell Vandergunst

New Players

FMichael Economos - Former SPHL Teams : PEO (17-18), KNX (16-17)

2018-19 Dawgs Training Camp

Goalies

Defensemen

Forwards

# 11 Steve Mele (V\233)

Michael Economos

Edited by Marksmen3519
Updated
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking good Marksmen, you can list David Gandara in red.  He called into Greg Roberts show he was always on and said he was hanging the skates up.  Probably Nick Schneider too.  Unless some how he changes his mind about retiring.

• Like 1

Matt Beer is in the Netherlands - Microz Eaters Limberg

Microz Eaters heeft de hand weten te leggen op aanvaller Matthew (Matt) Beer. Matt, geboren op 20 april 1990 (28 jaar) is rechtshandig en is 183 cm met 93 kg schoon aan de haak.

Matt heeft na junior A teams in SJHL/CHL/NOJHL de overstap gemaakt naar Morrisville State College in de NCAAIII. ( Amerikaans College divisie). Na 4 seizoenen in de NCAAIII werd hij in 2015 opgepikt door de Mississippi RiverKings spelende in de SPHL(Southern Professional Hockey League), SPHL is overigens ook de divisie waar de laatste Canadese import Adam Hartley speelde voor zijn overstap naar Geleen.

Sinds 2015 heeft Matt in de z.g.n. Minor Pro Leagues SPHL en de Federal Hockey League (FHL) gespeeld. Na omzwervingen tussen de Port Huron Prowlers, Mississippi RiverKings en de Carolina Thunderbirds speelde de aanvaller het afgelopen seizoen het grootste gedeelte voor de Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs in de SPHL. Voor het komende seizoen 2018/2019 stond Matt al op de zgn.”protected-list” van Roanoke, andere teams in de SPHL (buiten Roanoke) konden hem hierdoor niet contracteren.

Na uitvoerige scouting, overleg, en beoordeling binnen de technische staff, zijn wij dan ook verheugd dat Matt gekozen heeft voor de Microz Eaters Limburg die daarmee meteen zijn 1e Europese club wordt.

Het moge duidelijk zijn dat de huidige technische staff bij de selectie van haar imports voor het komende seizoen niet over één nacht ijs gegaan zijn. Matt is een sterke en een ervaren allround speler, die zowel op de center als rightwing uit de voeten kan. Hij leest het spel, met een goed en snel schot waarmee hij de “soft“ spots bij de goalie weet te vinden.

Ook gezien zijn leeftijd en ervaring zal hij een welkome aanvulling zijn binnen de kleedkamer. Matt Beer is absoluut een aanwinst voor de Microz Eaters Limburg en zal gaan spelen met #90.

Translation:

Microz Eaters has put his hand on attacker Matthew (Matt) Beer. Matt, born on April 20, 1990 (28 years) is right-handed and is 183 cm with 93 kg clean on the hook.

Matt moved to Morrisville State College in the NCAAIII after junior A teams in SJHL / CHL / NOJHL. (American College division). After 4 seasons in the NCAAIII, he was picked up in 2015 by the Mississippi RiverKings playing in the SPHL (Southern Professional Hockey League), SPHL is also the division where the last Canadian import Adam Hartley played for his move to Geleen.

Since 2015 Matt has been in the so-called. Minor Pro Leagues SPHL and the Federal Hockey League (FHL) played. After wandering between the Port Huron Prowlers, Mississippi RiverKings and the Carolina Thunderbirds, the attacker played the biggest part for the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs in the SPHL last season. For the coming season 2018/2019 Matt was already on the so-called "protected-list" of Roanoke, other teams in the SPHL (outside of Roanoke) could not contract him.

After extensive scouting, consultation, and assessment within the technical staff, we are also pleased that Matt has chosen the Microz Eaters Limburg, which immediately becomes his 1st European club.

It should be clear that the current technical staff in the selection of its imports for the coming season have not gone overnight. Matt is a strong and experienced all-round player who can handle both the center and rightwing. He reads the game, with a good and quick shot with which he manages to find the "soft" spots at the goalie.

Also, given his age and experience, he will be a welcome addition to the locker room. Matt Beer is definitely an asset to the Microz Eaters Limburg and will play with # 90.

Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/276254035?color=edeff5&title=0&byline=0&portrait=0

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Roanokehockey said:

Man I hate to read that.

Good luck to Matt.  We will certainly miss him in Roanoke

Agreed, i'm still not getting discouraged.  Just hoping we get good news of Steve Mele to keep playing.  He will be the hardest one to replace.  Him, Joe Sova, and Brad Barone.  But i'm already preparing myself for Barone finding a job in a higher league.  Would be nice if we can steal a few players from Mississippi.  Maybe Sova or Barone will recruit a few to Roanoke since they played there before here.

I guess that ends the rumors of him retiring. Welcome back Steve Mele!!

• Like 1

I hear Max Guyon has been invited to training camp by Brampton of the ECHL.

15 hours ago, KennyLang1775 said:

I hear Max Guyon has been invited to training camp by Brampton of the ECHL.

Glad he’s getting a shot in the ECHL but hate that he might not be playing for Roanoke this season. Do you think he will be there long term if he makes the team? I think his size gives him a disadvantage even though he is very skilled. 

On 7/7/2018 at 10:34 AM, Canucks13 said:

Glad he’s getting a shot in the ECHL but hate that he might not be playing for Roanoke this season. Do you think he will be there long term if he makes the team? I think his size gives him a disadvantage even though he is very skilled. 

His size might be a disadvantage, but I think if he consistently lights the lamp like he has so far in the FHL and SPHL someone will pick him up to do the same for them in the ECHL.  He might not make a roster on opening night but as soon as injuries and teams who can't score much need to change up the lineup i'm sure they will be looking for someone like him putting up good numbers.