Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Marksmen3519

2018-19 Ice Bears Player Signings/Trades/Pre-Season Roster

Green - Re-Signed

Red - Not Returning/Attending other Training Camp

Orange - Traded

Blue - Vet*

*By SPHL definitionVets are players who have 224 or more professional games played. Each team is allowed up to 3 vets on their roster. All 3 vets have to have a combined total of less than 900 games played.

Protected List

DAlex Adams (signed by Maine - ECHL)

FLucas Bombardier

DDavid Brancik

FStefan Brucato

FDanny Cesarz

DMichael Chen (signed by South Carolina - ECHL)

G, Troy Davenport

FJosh Erickson (also protected by Jacksonville - ECHL)

DCharlie Granath

FEliot Grauer

FTommy Kelley (also protected by Worcester - ECHL)

FMarcus Ortiz

D\FGehrett Sargis

Unprotected Players

F, Garret Clemment 

FLawrence Cornellier

DJake Flegel (protected by Cincinnati - ECHL)

FAustin Hervey - Selected in Expansion Draft by Quad City

G, Zoltán Hetényi

DTyler Minx

DEvan Neugold

D, Sean Robertson - Signed with Cergy (France2)

FBerkley Scott (362) Retired?

FKevin Swider (533) Re-Retired?

New Players

DJoe Tolles - (Former SPHL Teams : MRK, HSV, KNX, FAY)

2018-19 IceBears Training Camp

Goalies

Defensemen

D, Joe Tolles (V) (242)

Forwards

Stingrays Re-Sign Mike Chen

The South Carolina Stingrays, proud ECHL affiliate of the NHL’s Washington Capitals and AHL’s Hershey Bears, have agreed to terms with defenseman Mike Chen and forward Cam MacDonald for the 2018-19 season.

Chen returns to the Rays for his second professional year after earning a call-up with the team in February and appearing in 11 games. The blueliner accounted for four points on two goals and two assists along with seven penalty minutes during his time with South Carolina.

“It was my first taste of the ECHL and I just happened to be in the best place to play,” said Chen. “Everyone says if they could choose one place to go based on both hockey and location, South Carolina is the place to be. Just on the hockey side of things, you see what Coach Warsofsky has done in the past two years with taking the team to the finals and then breaking all the records for best defense and it’s a reflection of how he keeps recruiting good players and the core group of guys coming back.”

The 5-foot-8, 175-pound defender began his season with the Knoxville Ice Bears of the Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL), playing in 46 games with 29 points on six goals and 23 assists. Chen, 25, also had 43 penalty minutes and a +8 rating.

“When it comes to pro hockey, it’s not just the hockey you have to worry about,” Chen said. “You have the community, how you present yourself and how you interact with fans. Everything is a bit more magnified so I think the first year, coming from college, you don’t have to worry about that stuff too much but coming back for my second season, it’s nice coming in and having a gist of what’s going on.”

A native of Rockville, Md., Chen played collegiately at Salem State College for three seasons from 2014-17, scoring 29 points on 11 goals and 18 assists while suiting up for 70 games. He also spent one year at Concordia University during the 2013-14 season, playing in 17 games while tallying three assists.

“This was my #1 spot to come back if I were to play in the ECHL and I’m relieved and happy that it all worked out,” Chen said. “Now I can focus on training in the summer and get after it next year. Having my first year under my belt, I can hit the ground running instead of having to play catch-up.”

Ice Bears Sign Joe Tolles

Knoxville, TN (11 July 2018) – The Knoxville Ice Bears and Head Coach Jeff Carr announced Thursday the signing of veteran defenseman Joe Tolles for the 2018-2019 season.

Tolles, a veteran of the East Coast Hockey League (ECHL), re-joins the Knoxville roster, having played 20 games with the Ice Bears during the 2014-2015 season, amassing 52 points and 112 PIMs in his combined 133 SPHL games. Though he retired from professional hockey after the 2015-2016 season, Tolles, already among the most physically fit players, has reached even greater levels of fitness, competing at the highest levels CrossFit training.

Carr said of the recent signing, “I know Joe and his wife love this community and are excited to be returning to Knoxville… Tolles has the physicality and discipline needed to take on a central leadership role and make a definitive impact on our team’s success.”

Tolles combative playing style should be a great fit for Carr’s system, designed for speed and aggressive puck battles. Carr expects his first summer signee to use his experience to bring another element of leadership to the Knoxville locker room, this season.

On 7/12/2018 at 3:39 PM, PlannedObsolescence said:

Does this mean Swider will also come back (again!)

He's retired permanently, kind of like about 800 Fayetteville hockey fans.  Hope that's better.

Edited by Carey Mahoney
Being kinder, gentler.

Maine Mariners Sign Alex Adams

hockeyfights.com

PORTLAND, ME – The Maine Mariners announce the signings of forwards Ryan Ferrill and Tyler Maltby, defenseman Alex Adams, and goaltender Connor LaCouvee have all agreed to deals with the Mariners for the 2018-19 season.

Alex Adams (6’2, 194) is a 25-year-old defenseman from Orangeville, Ontario who joins the Mariners after making his pro hockey debut with the Knoxville Ice Bears (SPHL) in 2017-18.

Adams had ten points (four goals, six assists) in 15 games for Knoxville before finishing the season in Australia with the Adelaide Adrenaline where he put up 17 more points in 14 games. His college career was spent mostly with Wilfrid Laurier University. Adams has been a “Mariner” before, spending a brief time with the Yarmouth Mariners of the MJAHL in the 2013-14 season.

• Like 1