Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

RapidFire19

2018-19 Ice Bears Player Signings/Trades/Pre-Season Roster

Posted (edited)

I guess if we are built around guys like McNeil, we can just surrender now.  What  a bum!

Edited by Carey Mahoney

12 hours ago, MacGuy said:

Knoxville's gain is Fayetteville's loss! :thumbsup2:

I'm still waiting on Carey Mahoney's thoughts on this transaction.  🤔

I guess it's all a question of which Kyle McNeil we'll get. He started his career in Knoxville playing really well and it went downhill from there. Is he worth a vet spot? I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, knoxhox said:

I guess it's all a question of which Kyle McNeil we'll get. He started his career in Knoxville playing really well and it went downhill from there. Is he worth a vet spot? I'm not sure.

As a Markmen fan I am sorry to see McNeil leave.  He plays hard every shift. He is not afraid to put a body on an opponent.  He is excellent on the penalty kill. He enjoys going to the net and is great at screening the goalie with his big body.  Granted he is probably a 3rd or 4th line forward now but in the SP he'll match up well with the other team's 3rd or 4th line.  He scored 27 points (15g/12a) on a very poor offensive team.  If the numbers would have been 15 goals and 22 assists everyone would have thought his numbers were exceptional.  He scored on .119 percent of his shots compared to .114 for Berkley Scott.  McNeil is no Berkley Scott but he is (or at least he was last year) a solid SPHL level player.

2 hours ago, Make Marky GM said:

As a Markmen fan I am sorry to see McNeil leave.  He plays hard every shift. He is not afraid to put a body on an opponent.  He is excellent on the penalty kill. He enjoys going to the net and is great at screening the goalie with his big body.  Granted he is probably a 3rd or 4th line forward now but in the SP he'll match up well with the other team's 3rd or 4th line.  He scored 27 points (15g/12a) on a very poor offensive team.  If the numbers would have been 15 goals and 22 assists everyone would have thought his numbers were exceptional.  He scored on .119 percent of his shots compared to .114 for Berkley Scott.  McNeil is no Berkley Scott but he is (or at least he was last year) a solid SPHL level player.

Just look at the team statistics for anywhere he had played in his career.  Your team has an exceptional chance of being below .500 if Kyle McNeil is part of your roster.  It is too frequent to be coincidental.  He, in no way, makes your team better.  Kyle McNeil is a wasted roster spot.  In addition, if you are having thoughts that he's your enforcer/tough guy, you are delusional.  Any legitimate middle weight or heavyweight tough guy in the SPHL is licking their chops when McNeil starts his incessant chirping just hoping he's foolish enough to drop his gloves.  He is a punching bag at this level.  I am just shocked that Carr would sign this guy based on the type of athletes he appears to typically pursue.  I hope he is just training camp fodder.  If not, that indicates Carr is having an extremely difficult time recruiting or heavily leaning on ECHL cuts to fill out his roster a few weeks into the season.  If he needs a tough guy, he'd be better off with Dennis Sicard, even if he only has one functional arm.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Carey Mahoney said:

Just look at the team statistics for anywhere he had played in his career.  Your team has an exceptional chance of being below .500 if Kyle McNeil is part of your roster.  It is too frequent to be coincidental.  He, in no way, makes your team better.  Kyle McNeil is a wasted roster spot.  In addition, if you are having thoughts that he's your enforcer/tough guy, you are delusional.  Any legitimate middle weight or heavyweight tough guy in the SPHL is licking their chops when McNeil starts his incessant chirping just hoping he's foolish enough to drop his gloves.  He is a punching bag at this level.  I am just shocked that Carr would sign this guy based on the type of athletes he appears to typically pursue.  I hope he is just training camp fodder.  If not, that indicates Carr is having an extremely difficult time recruiting or heavily leaning on ECHL cuts to fill out his roster a few weeks into the season.  If he needs a tough guy, he'd be better off with Dennis Sicard, even if he only has one functional arm.

I would have to agree.  If he wasn't taking up a veteran spot i'd be all for it.  But my opinion, there are better options to use it.  But Knoxville was hurting for a veteran last year when they brought back Swider.  Maybe Carr is having a hard time finding them.

30 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

I would have to agree.  If he wasn't taking up a veteran spot i'd be all for it.  But my opinion, there are better options to use it.  But Knoxville was hurting for a veteran last year when they brought back Swider.  Maybe Carr is having a hard time finding them.

I heard Gretzkey isn't signed anywhere yet....

# PLAYER GP G A TP PPG PIM +/-
1. 6.png Jason Price (D) 502 64 176 240 0.478 427 30
2. 3.png Dennis Sicard (LW) 476 112 120 232 0.487 2200 -32
3. 3.png Orrin Hergott (C) 404 142 156 298 0.738 283 32
4. 6.png Kevin Swider (C) 381 255 438 693 1.819 269 175
5. 3.png Stuart Stefan (D/F) 379 84 164 248 0.654 239 12
6. 3.png Kyle McNeil (RW) 368 83 71 154 0.418 683 -54

He is in the top 6 for all time games played in the SPHL obviously players/coaches like him around the league you dont just play a casual 368 games in the league if nobody wants him... and potential be in top 3 all time games played by the end of the season. Im just saying hes obviously well respected in the league or he wouldn't have lasted over 7 years in the league going on 8 years

1 hour ago, RapidFire19 said:

He's played in the NHL.  Unavailable to play in the SPHL!

12 minutes ago, True_Canadian91 said:
# PLAYER GP G A TP PPG PIM +/-
1. 6.png Jason Price (D) 502 64 176 240 0.478 427 30
2. 3.png Dennis Sicard (LW) 476 112 120 232 0.487 2200 -32
3. 3.png Orrin Hergott (C) 404 142 156 298 0.738 283 32
4. 6.png Kevin Swider (C) 381 255 438 693 1.819 269 175
5. 3.png Stuart Stefan (D/F) 379 84 164 248 0.654 239 12
6. 3.png Kyle McNeil (RW) 368 83 71 154 0.418 683 -54

He is in the top 6 for all time games played in the SPHL obviously players/coaches like him around the league you dont just play a casual 368 games in the league if nobody wants him... and potential be in top 3 all time games played by the end of the season. Im just saying hes obviously well respected in the league or he wouldn't have lasted over 7 years in the league going on 8 years

I would assume he is a decent guy and teammate.  That means a lot at some point.  I do believe coaches are enamored with his size, though.  He is also a fairly decent skater for that size.  He is a decent hockey player that gives you glimpses on occasion of what kind of player they are obviously hoping he is.  The problem is that it is always just glimpses.  He disappears for extended stretches of time.  He's not an embarrassment on the ice, but if you are having to build a team at this point with him on it, you have problems.  At best, he is a tenth forward on a team hoping to find a young replacement or awaiting a call-up to drop to the roster.  If you need Kyle McNeil on your team, you have roster problems.

1 hour ago, RapidFire19 said:

30 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

He meant Brent.

9 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

He meant Brent.

Or maybe Keith

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RapidFire19 said:

1 hour ago, Greg81102 said:

Wayne just signed on for a new job- see Mac's post on 8/8/18

31 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

He meant Brent.

Brent has also played in the show:

1993-94 6.png Atlanta Knights IHL 54 17 23 40 30 4 | Playoffs 14 1 1 2 2 0
  6.png Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 10 1 2 3 2 0 |              
1994-95 6.png Atlanta Knights IHL 67 19 32 51 42 -11 | Playoffs 5 4 1 5 4 -1
  6.png Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 3 0 1 1 0 -2 |

Edited by PlannedObsolescence

Knoxville, TENN. (8 August 2018) – Friday morning, the Knoxville Ice Bears’ Head Coach, Jeff Carr announced Marcus Ortiz has been signed for the 2018-2019 season.

Ortiz, 25 from Garland, TX, made his SPHL debut last season with the Ice Bears, scoring 31 points (15G, 16A) as a rookie. Marcus also had a strong collegiate career at SUNY-Fredonia (NCAA III), earning himself 28 goals and 26 assists in 77 games played.

“He’s a Nathan Horton (Maple Leafs) or Jarome Iginla (retired NHL) type player,” said Carr of Ortiz. “I expect Marcus to be tough, agitating, and pestilent – the glue of the team – on and off the ice.”

Ortiz proved to be a skilled skater, but his clutch scoring ability is what makes him stand out. In key moments throughout the season, Ortiz was able to seek out shooting lanes, scoring 3 game winners. Ortiz’s strength and aggression fit well with Carr’s roster, but his leadership qualities are what will make him a pivotal piece of the puzzle for Knoxville, this season.

Knoxville, TENN. (14 August 2018) - Head Coach Jeff Carr announced Tuesday the Ice Bears have traded future considerations to the Birmingham Bulls for right-handed defenseman Phil Tesoriero.

Tesoriero, 30, is a seasoned veteran from Boulder, CO and is expected to make an immediate impact on the team culture, off the ice, and contribute significantly to the on-ice product. Joining the SPHL in 2014, Tesoriero doesn’t have large point totals, but instead joins Knoxville’s roster with a resume of notable leadership.

“Phil is another one of these guys who immediately affects the team, in a positive way,” said Carr. “He’s a durable player and has the attitude I want to see on the bench. His experience is a huge factor.”

With the signing of another D-man, the Ice Bears 2018 Training Camp is shaping up to be highly competitive week. There are still a good number of roster spots to be filled, but the Knoxville roster is consistently growing into a tough and aggressive group of talented hockey players.

This might mean Birmingham has got another veteran player they plan to announce a signing for.  That now gives Knoxville 2 veterans.

37 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

This might mean Birmingham has got another veteran player they plan to announce a signing for.  That now gives Knoxville 2 veterans.

3 vets....McNeil, Tolles, Tesoriero 

13 minutes ago, RapidFire19 said:

3 vets....McNeil, Tolles, Tesoriero 

By my math, based on stats provided by eliteprospects.com (368 for McNeil- all in the SPHL, 313 for Tesoriero- in the CHL/SPHL, and 242 for Tolles- CHL/ECHL/SPHL), this totals 923, which is 23 over the 900-game limit. 

Edited by PlannedObsolescence

20 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

By my math, based on stats provided by eliteprospects.com (368 for McNeil- all in the SPHL, 313 for Tesoriero- in the CHL/SPHL, and 242 for Tolles- CHL/ECHL/SPHL), this totals 923, which is 23 over the 900-game limit. 

Correct......now question is, who do they keep? Just got Tesoriero in a "FC" trade.....will probably keep him.

That's what training camp is for - to decide who to keep.

The limit applies to the regular season roster - not pre-season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

🤔 sounds right. 

All this summer time is playing with my memory.....looks like Hockey is first to go...

21 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

So if Tesoriero doesnt make opening roster.....Bears will have to complete FC trade, correct?

1 hour ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

They are not counting games played for Fayetteville towards their professional games.  That clears up the problem for everyone.

If they do change their mind and consider Fayetteville a professional franchise, the great news is that defensemen are in demand in this league and McNeil will disappear pretty quickly.

• Haha 2

Knoxville, TENN. (15 August 2018) - The Knoxville Ice Bears and Head Coach Jeff Carr announced Wednesday the signing of forward Brad Drobot.

Drobot, from Calgary, Alberta, joins the Knoxville roster having spent his entire professional career with the SPHL franchises of Fayetteville, NC (FireAntz and Marksmen). At 6’3” and 220lbs, Drobot is a formidable presence in the offensive zone and will also take on an enforcing role for the Ice Bears.

“Throughout the process of recruiting Drobot, former coaches and teammates said, before anything else, how great his character is,” Carr said. “He is excited to bring an old school, hard-nosed playing style back to Knoxville.”

Drobot, who lead the SPHL in penalty minutes last season with 214, will bring a new level of intimidation and aggression to Knoxville’s roster. Drobot says he wants to win championships, rallying around the pugnacity and ferocity Coach Carr is expecting out of this year’s squad.

• Sad 1