Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
Greg81102

Q&A With Perth Thunder Goalie Peter Di Salvo

Posted (edited)

Current & former SPHL players playing this summer (winter there ) in the Austrialian Ice Hockey League

There are 38 “imports” currently on AIHL rosters.  I found 9 with SPHL ties.

Their regular season ends in early September

Pete DiSalvo - This is his 3rd year in Perth.  He has played for PEN, MRK, FAY, PEO and MAC in the SPHL

Charlie Adams played 2015/16 & 2017/18 seasons with Pensacola. Was second leading scorer for the Ice Flyers this past season.  

Chris Leveille - This guy has an interesting hockey history. He led the SPHL in scoring in 2010/11 for the Fayetteville Fireantz.  He played for Fayetteville for 4 years from the 2008/09 through the 2011/12 season. He had a total of 265 points in 222 games for Fayetteville, finishing his last year as the captain. He played the next year in the FHL to be closer to his family. He scored 67 points in 49 games for 2 teams. He then “retired” and played 3 seasons in the Senior League (ACH). At the end of the 3rd retirement year he returned to the FHL where he scored 72 points in 29 games.  The next year he walked on during training camp for the Brampton Beast of the ECHL and made their roster. The first year he had 45 points in 68 games and this past season he had 51 points in 64 games with Brampton. He also had a 6 game call-up to the AHL. He’s now 30 years old.

Geordie Wudrick played for Louisiana in the SPHL in 2014/15 & 15/16. He played a few games for Peoria in 2016/17. In 2017/18 he played in Germany4 and scored 50 points in 22 games.

Nick Rivait played 2015/16 & 16/17 for Fayetteville. Prior to the 2017/18 season his rights were traded along with rights to Graeme Strukoff and goalie Tyler Green for goalie Pete DiSalvo and Joe Sova.  He has 17 points in 12 games in the AIHL.

Joe Harcharik played for the Miss. Surge in 2012/13 and for Fayetteville in 2016/17 where he had 41 points in 55 games.

Graeme Strukoff played 2015/16 & 16/17 for the Fayetteville Fireantz.

Caleb Apperson finished the 2017/18 season with the Birmingham Bulls.

Alex Adams finished the 2017/18 season with the Knoxville IceBears.

Edited by Make Marky GM

The AIHL is an attractive "summer" gig for some North American players.  They don't get paid (amateur league), but as imports they get fully furnished apartments with in-country transportation & free equipment.  It was never clear to me who paid for their round trip, but I'm guessing it's the players themselves.  Still, it's a way to stay in shape during the NA offseason while on a "working vacation" in a land quite different from anywhere else.

This 2015 article from the Sydney (AU) Morning Herald was contributed by the author of a pretty good book I read a couple of years ago, "Reality Check: Travels in the Australian Ice Hockey League."  Peter DiSalvo was featured in a 2017 piece from The Hockey Writers.  Lots of internet content to distract us until the next SPHL season begins.

1 hour ago, JMC-STL said:

The AIHL is an attractive "summer" gig for some North American players.  They don't get paid (amateur league), but as imports they get fully furnished apartments with in-country transportation & free equipment.  It was never clear to me who paid for their round trip, but I'm guessing it's the players themselves.  Still, it's a way to stay in shape during the NA offseason while on a "working vacation" in a land quite different from anywhere else.

This 2015 article from the Sydney (AU) Morning Herald was contributed by the author of a pretty good book I read a couple of years ago, "Reality Check: Travels in the Australian Ice Hockey League."  Peter DiSalvo was featured in a 2017 piece from The Hockey Writers.  Lots of internet content to distract us until the next SPHL season begins.

I like this quote from the 2015 article-- "An ideal import is talented yet humble; unselfish but self-reliant; mature but fun; dedicated yet gregarious."

• Like 1