Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

MacGuy

Tombergs excited to lead hometown Storm

Tombergs excited to lead hometown Storm

By Bobby Metcalf - Dispatch-Argus

MOLINE — Despite the challenges, an opportunity to run her hometown hockey team was too good for Gwen Tombergs to pass up.

Tombergs was introduced Thursday as the president of the Quad City Storm, the new hockey franchise that will debut in the Southern Professional Hockey League this October.

“That’s the biggest feather in my hat,” said Tombergs, who grew up in Eldridge. “I can’t even tell you how proud I am that I had the skill set that fit, but to say I can make a difference in my own hometown with a product that’s going to be embraced and has a lot of support already, it’s pretty huge in my book.”

“I was trained to do big and I have the ‘wow factor’ mentality and that’s what I want to bring back,” Tombergs said. “What they’ve done over there (with the Bandits and Steamwheelers) shows me what I can do here.”

That attitude has already made an impact on those around her.

“Gwen is just so professional, expects the best out of you and that’s what I expect out of my players,” said Storm coach Dave Pszenyczny. “It’s what I expected out of myself when I played. I held myself to a higher level as far as I wanted to get better every day and if I didn’t, that day was a failure to me. Having her is going to be awesome because it’s going to be a nice reminder.”

Read more at: https://qconline.com/sports/professional/tombergs-excited-to-lead-hometown-storm/article_326a1a52-b9e1-5506-ab2e-6a33cb4554d7.html