Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Greg81102

Progress At The Lancerlot

My kids are in the youth hockey program and we were told there will be a grand opening ceremony the Saturday following Labor Day

• Thanks 1

Lancerlot Rink Gets Ready To Welcome Tech Hockey To Its New Home

By Gene Marrano - The Star

The reopening of the new ice rink at the Lancerlot in Vinton appears to be on track says Chris Arnold, general manager for Virginia Tech’s club hockey team that will make the cozy rink home (projected to hold about 1200 sitting or standing) when it opens by September.

The Hokies will have their own locker room facilities in school colors – truly a home of their own after playing for many years at the much larger Berglundc Center, often at the mercy of bookings for concerts, monster truck shows, etc.

“We’re hoping to be in the Lancerlot right after Labor Day for our tryouts and to start practicing,” says Arnold, who worked for the Roanoke Express at one time.  The season starts on September 21 against Richmond.

A consortium of 10 owners – including the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs – are footing the bill for the new ice rink, which the Dawgs will use as a second practice facility when there’s no ice at the Berglund Center. They could also schedule playoff games there as well next spring. 

Read more at: http://theroanokestar.com/2018/07/02/lancerlot-rink-gets-ready-to-welcome-tech-hockey-to-its-new-home/

3 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

Now Dawgs 'n' fans can look forward to playoff games in this facility.  :hmm:

Not sure how many it seats.  Not seeing many in the photo.  But atleast they won't have to travel over an hour away for practice when no ice at The Berglund Center.  I imagine they have to have some seats somewhere in there if Va Tech is happy to play there.

I think Bob McGinn said on GRL that they will be able to get 1500 or so in there. My guess is it will be like Lahaye and be mostly bleachers.