Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

2 hours ago, Marksmen3519 said:

Something is not adding up with you guys schedule and the SPHL news release.  Says you guys are traveling to Roanoke for our first home game which is October 20th.  But your schedule says you play at Macon on the 20th.

http://www.thesphl.com/view/thesphl/news/news_506274

5 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

Something is not adding up with you guys schedule and the SPHL news release.  Says you guys are traveling to Roanoke for our first home game which is October 20th.  But your schedule says you play at Macon on the 20th.

Looks like sphl news release might be wrong.  The Dawg Park fan site says our first home game is against Knoxville on the 20th.

1 minute ago, MacGuy said:

The SPHL and Knoxville websites schedule's concur: Ice Bears @ Roanoke Oct. 20th.

I was talking about the press release telling how the teams opened up the season.  It said Fayetteville traveled to Roanoke for home opener.  Roanoke schedule is a mess.  We play QC and Peoria 3 games each but we have no home games against either team.  Anybody elses schedule like that?  If thats how they trying to save travel costs in the league its pretty stupid.  Every team should atleast have to travel everywhere once.

44 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

37 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

Looks like sphl news release might be wrong.  The Dawg Park fan site says our first home game is against Knoxville on the 20th.

I'm gonna go with what our office says.....lol

46 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

I was talking about the press release telling how the teams opened up the season.  It said Fayetteville traveled to Roanoke for home opener.  Roanoke schedule is a mess.  We play QC and Peoria 3 games each but we have no home games against either team.  Anybody elses schedule like that?  If thats how they trying to save travel costs in the league its pretty stupid.  Every team should atleast have to travel everywhere once.

Yes.....we see QC Storm 3 times at home.....no away games against QC. 

2 minutes ago, Marksmen3519 said:

Yes.....we see QC Storm 3 times at home.....no away games against QC

Pretty stupid to me.  So much for the fairness of playoff tie breakers after the total wins.  Playing all road games against 2 different teams is A bunch of BS for second tiebreaker with head to head points.

16 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

I was talking about the press release telling how the teams opened up the season. 

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The schedule is correct, but the presser doesn't back it up.

1 minute ago, MacGuy said:

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The schedule is correct, but the presser doesn't back it up.

Yea, our official schedule release just came out about 10 minutes ago.  I was just trying to go on others and the sphl press release.

Pope agrees with the imbalance:

Marksmen schedule: Many games against some, very few vs. others

By Thomas Pope - The Observer

From the time their 2018-19 season opens in mid-October until it ends in early April, the Fayetteville Marksmen will have had more than their fill of some of their Southern Professional Hockey League counterparts. Others, they’ll barely have enough games to constitute a rivalry.

The league released the schedule for the upcoming season Friday afternoon. Each of the 10 teams will play 56 games. The Quad City Storm, based in Moline, Illinois, are the SPHL’s newest addition and replace the Mississippi RiverKings, who went dormant when the 2017-18 season concluded.

The team Fayetteville will see most often is the Roanoke, which at 3 1/2 hours away is its closest opponent. The Marksmen will host the Rail Yard Dawgs at 7 p.m. on Fri., Oct. 19, as one of four games on the season’s opening night. Fayetteville will be the visitor against Roanoke seven times in their 13 games, and their full series constitutes 23 percent of the teams’ regular-season schedules.

“I think it’s a tough part of the business for Doug, who has to make the schedule,” incoming Fayetteville coach Jesse Kallechy said of Doug Price, the SPHL’s Vice President of Hockey Administration. “He’s trying to limit travel and nights in hotels, and it’s not an easy task.

“For us, we’re just going to play the teams we’re told to play when we’re told the play them. We’re definitely not going to use the schedule as an excuse, but we definitely want to manage it as best we can and get rest when we need it. The reality is that when a lot of these teams come to us, they’ve got quite a bit of time to travel. Hopefully, we can take advantage of that because you’ve got to win your home games if you want to be a top team in this league and above .500 on the road. That’s what we’re going to be after.”

Read more at: http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/20180706/marksmen-schedule-many-games-against-some-very-few-vs-others

17 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

Pope agrees with the imbalance:

Marksmen schedule: Many games against some, very few vs. others

By Thomas Pope - The Observer

Read more at: http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/20180706/marksmen-schedule-many-games-against-some-very-few-vs-others

I agree, i understand you will play teams closer to you the most.  But to play 2 teams at 3 games a piece and no home games is my biggest gripe.  The best games of the season last year was against Peoria.  This year we get to see them none.  Along with the new expansion team we won't even get to see on home ice.  If your playing a team 3 times, I would atleast play a 2 and 1.  No excuse not to schedule 1 team not on someones home ice.  Much less two teams like Roanoke has on their schedule.  Not just unfair to the fans who want to see every team live but also fairness in the playoff tiebreakers.  Not fair to use head to head points in a tiebreaker when the games were all played in one team's barn.  Probably the two teams our coach wants to beat the most with his connections to Peoria we get shut out seeing.

The schedule has been out of whack before, even for the weighted format. But this season seems much worse. I can’t remember a time when any team had zero home games against an opponent. 

Or when two teams played each other 6 times in a row in the regular season - unless Peoria and Bloomington did that.

16 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

The schedule has been out of whack before, even for the weighted format. But this season seems much worse. I can’t remember a time when any team had zero home games against an opponent. 

Or when two teams played each other 6 times in a row in the regular season - unless Peoria and Bloomington did that.

And so much for cutting down travel.  Look at Roanoke's schedule they play Peoria and QC in back to back weeks for their 6 games.  Then next week go down to Pensacola for a weekend and then after that they go straight back to Evansville to play games in March.  The more i look at it the more it frustrates me. But yet you can't find a way for QC or Peoria to play a game in Roanoke?

47 minutes ago, Make Marky GM said:

Based on past experience do you think they will stay in Moline for the Tues, Friday and Saturday games?  It doesn't seem to make sense to ride 12 hours after the game on Tues and then load up on Thursday and ride another 12 hours to get right back where you were, does it?

You guys have a brutal stretch from Feb 17 to March 16.

Lots of things don't "seem to make sense", but such is life in minor league hockey. Front office and coaching staffs will have to balance the travel back and forth vs the cost of paying for motels over that stretch of time, then make the decision. Of course, the team could stay on the bus the whole time rather than pay the lodging expenses- LOL!

Okay Fayetteville, you guys are basically getting screwed on scheduling and will probably be in the cellar again come April of next year:

usdTWYh.png

3 games in 3 nights is not something you want to do once in a season, and you guys do it 6 times! 

jpCr0Ht.png

The number of games you have against the same opponent 3-4 times in a row (or more) is insane. I get it that you're "isolated" by distance, but this is still out of the ordinary. Even in the UHL Knoxville/Asheville didn't have this kind of scheduling issues. 2 in a row I can understand. Not 6...in...a...row...unless it was best-of-7 playoffs...

On 7/6/2018 at 7:37 PM, Greg81102 said:

Pretty stupid to me.  So much for the fairness of playoff tie breakers after the total wins.  Playing all road games against 2 different teams is A bunch of BS for second tiebreaker with head to head points.

Eh, no big deal. It just means that the Marksmen might not trade a future goalie of the year for a block of hotel rooms in the Quad Cities because they couldn't afford the road trip if they didn't...

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2018 at 3:04 AM, Speedracer said:

Okay Fayetteville, you guys are basically getting screwed on scheduling and will probably be in the cellar again come April of next year:

usdTWYh.png

3 games in 3 nights is not something you want to do once in a season, and you guys do it 6 times! 

jpCr0Ht.png

The number of games you have against the same opponent 3-4 times in a row (or more) is insane. I get it that you're "isolated" by distance, but this is still out of the ordinary. Even in the UHL Knoxville/Asheville didn't have this kind of scheduling issues. 2 in a row I can understand. Not 6...in...a...row...unless it was best-of-7 playoffs...

Atleast it looks like the majority of them the team they are playing will be playing the same amount of games in a row.  Now you mention it Roanoke plays 3 games in 3 nights, 4 times.  Only 1 is against the same team.  The other 3 we have to travel to different places.  One we even have a home game against Fayetteville at home on a Thursday, then travel to Huntsville for Friday, then both teams turn around and play again in Roanoke.  Long way away for a home and home series.  Fayetteville will atleast get to rest and not have to travel in between games.  But like you pointed out it seems they really cut down on Fayetteville travel.  Play most of their games in a row when starting a series and don't even have to travel to QC.  They more or less make us travel around all the time and have to visit everywhere.  Not one thing is very consistent with any of the schedules. They can't even keep us in the same part of country in between series.  Have one we play 3 away games against Peoria then 3 away games in QC.  After that they send us to Pennsacola to play 2 games in a weekend.  Finally turn us back around and play 2 games in Evansville.  Did somebody new take over the scheduling duties?