Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Greg81102

The Dawg Park Fan Site Releases Schedule

Am I missing something??  We play Peoria and Quad City 3 times a piece but none of them are home games?  How can that happen?

1 hour ago, Greg81102 said:

Am I missing something??  We play Peoria and Quad City 3 times a piece but none of them are home games?  How can that happen?

You’re not. Dawgs traveling to all 9 buildings around the league, but only 7 rivals making the return trip.

2 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

It's not a simple task to schedule around arena availabilities & travel time/distance restrictions & especially 10 GMs opinions re. who should go where on what weekend.  And fans want the season schedule earlier each summer, so the League does it's best to cobble together a calendar in a relatively short period that balances the needs & desires of all stakeholders.  We all still get 28 home games of hockey.

It may not be a simple task, but we've been doing it for 14 years - mostly with more success than this.

3 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

It's not a simple task to schedule around arena availabilities & travel time/distance restrictions & especially 10 GMs opinions re. who should go where on what weekend.  And fans want the season schedule earlier each summer, so the League does it's best to cobble together a calendar in a relatively short period that balances the needs & desires of all stakeholders.  We all still get 28 home games of hockey.

I understand that but your telling me its not possible for atleast 1 game against Peoria or QC to played on our home ice?  They going to do stupid things like this then they need to get rid of head to head tiebreakers all together.  Playing a team like Peoria 3 times all in their own rink is not fair to anyone for a tiebreaker for playoffs if needed.  Also to have a new team like Quad City come into a league and Roanoke fans not even have the chance to see them?  If we have to travel to all 9 arenas and play games, every other team should have to do the same even if it takes the games happening on weekdays instead of weekends.  Can't say they care too much about travel and dates when we play in QC and Peoria in 6 games on back to back weeks then make us go down to Pensacola for two games the next weekend.  Done there, we go back up to the northwest to Evansville to play them.  No excuse you can make our travel that difficult but can't find a day out of the whole year to let Peoria or QC play a game in Roanoke.  Especially when QC I know plays 3 away games versus Fayetteville.

• Like 1

@Greg81102: I suggest you express your points of concern to your team's GM.  He should know a LOT more about the circumstances than you or I do.

Well its also weird Peoria plays 2 games in Fayetteville November 30 and December 1.  The same 2 nights we have home games against Macon.  Can't blame it on schedule availability.  Could have easily switched a game around to have us a home game against someone we have none against.

I do hope you're not suggesting that there was some sort of collusion in play to slight RYD in this season's scheduling.  I was unaware that there was a grassy knoll & a book depository in Roanoke.  :unsure:

No im suggesting every team should have to travel to every other arena and play games.  Not very fair to have us travel to every arena and play every team but only 7 out of 9 teams in the league have to visit Roanoke.  Then you say it could be a scheduling conflict yet Fayetteville plays Peoria twice at home and at the same time we are playing Macon.  Could have easily switched around one night and Peoria play in Roanoke.  Fayetteville plays Peoria 2 home and 2 away.  We play Peoria 0 home and 3 away.   Wouldn't it make more sense for atleast a 1 home 3 away for Roa vs Peo and 1 home 2 away for Fay vs Peo?  Seems alot better that way so teams get to see every team play in their own rink.  All Peoria and Macon would have to do is travel between Roanoke and Fayetteville which the league makes us do multiple times throughtout the season with a home and home series.

I agree the Macon / Peoria swap would’ve been easy to do, but seems like they have other priorities now. I notice that all of the Dawgs’ road back-to-backs are in the same city, so maybe they decided lessening overnight travel was a bigger concern.

BTW, not just Roanoke that gets a schedule like this. QC only plays Macon 1 time (home) and won’t host Fayetteville, playing 3 there.

Things like this are annual in the ECHL schedule, but it’s disappointing to see the SPHL follow suit. I always liked this league’s scheduling better for that reason.

That being said, the primary factor of the schedule has not changed: getting every team as many of the exact 28 dates it prefers as possible. Got to put butts in the seats to keep paying the bills.

• Like 1

I see we once again have our home-Huntsville-home weekend.

7 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

No im suggesting every team should have to travel to every other arena and play games.  Not very fair to have us travel to every arena and play every team but only 7 out of 9 teams in the league have to visit Roanoke. ...

And I repeat ...

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

And I repeat ...

It's not just about Roanoke though, from the few schedules I have looked at, Fayettville never travels to QC and Evansville never makes the trip to Pensacola. That's lazy scheduling on the leagues part. Granted as a Roanoke fan this is only the third season I have followed the league, but this is the first time I've seen any teams not have to play in every arena atleast once.

Edited by vicvegas
  • Like 1

I agree that the overall League schedule does seem more imbalanced than in recent seasons, vic.  But what I'm trying to assuage are feelings of apparent outrage among particular fans that this imbalance in some measure slights a particular team or teams.  Every team GM and/or his designees had direct input into the final form of the 2018-19 schedule.  They all signed off on that schedule, presumably knowing the pros & cons of its content relative to their organizations.  For a fan to go all Don Quixote over a collection of dates on a calendar just makes no sense to me.  They should either consume & enjoy the product, or find some other imaginary sports injustice to occupy themselves. /debate

I'm not sure anyone feels slighted, much less outraged. They're just pointing out the league seemed to do an unusually poor job of distributing games this year compared to other years. Compounded by the fact that it didn't take much time or effort for someone outside of the decision-making process to figure out at least one solution.

3 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

... Compounded by the fact that it didn't take much time or effort for someone outside of the decision-making process to figure out at least one solution.

Then those wise folks are obviously sitting in the wrong seat at the arena.  Promote them immediately.

I know it has a lot to do with reducing travel and money spent on travel but I’m tired of Roanoke playing Fayetteville what feels like every game. 

1 hour ago, Make Marky GM said:

Playing Fayetteville "every game" last year is what got you guys into the playoffs.  I kid. 

Oh I know and I’m thankful for that, haha. I will say that one positive of playing Fayetteville a lot is the opportunity to drive down and see the Dawgs play at the Crown. I went to a game last year and had a great time. You all do a great job of keeping the crowd entertained and everyone was very nice!

• Like 2

Looking forward to my 1st Dawgs road trip this season. I had already planned to be in Fayetville Jan 12 and attend the game, was stoked to see Roanoke on the schedule!

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with or think anybody is slighted.  But a true hockey fan would want to see every team play atleast one game in their home arena.  To maybe see some old players from your team and see Quad City play in their jerseys in their first year of existence.  I don't think its to much to ask of a league to have that.  We have had that every year so far with no less then 2 games of each team playing in each rink.We have the same amount of teams, so my only question is why is the schedule so screwed up this year for so many teams compared to other years?

1 hour ago, Greg81102 said:

... But a true hockey fan would want to see every team play atleast one game in their home arena. ...

Careful there, young feller, with that kinda talk.  You are making a value judgment about an awfully large segment of your fellow hockey fans without benefit of knowing how "true" they really are.

1 hour ago, JMC-STL said:

Careful there, young feller, with that kinda talk.  You are making a value judgment about an awfully large segment of your fellow hockey fans without benefit of knowing how "true" they really are.

How is that a value of judgement?  If you're a true hockey fan and season ticket holder in a 10 team league you would want and expect to see the opportunity to see every team play in every arena like we have seen every year so far in this league.  I don't see how you can take that as a jab. Only way we shouldn't see it and I would still disagree with not seeing another team is if there were divisions.  But to have every team fighting for the same eight playoff spots and head to head points as your second tiebreaker who would actually want to play 2 teams 3 times each in away games and have none played on home ice?  If thats the case why play the teams at all and just set up 2 divisions with sets of 5 teams play each other all year round and top 4 in each division makes the playoffs.  That way its fair for all and saves much more on travel.  You won't have to play a team in a different division until the finals.