Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

HockeyRoanoke

Arena Football to Roanoke

Fingers crossed that the Roanoke RiverDawgs/Wrath will be making a return as well. 

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure this will hurt scheduling wise, may even help out a bit. They will only be playing one game a week and the playing surface can be put over ice, so it could possibly cut down on playoff availability issues, only having to schedule around a two hour football game and the time it takes to put down and remove the astroturf and underlayment. As opposed to a rodeo which requires the ice be removed and tons of dirt trucked in.

Edited by vicvegas
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Canucks13 said:

Also, why did the Roanoke Steam fail?

If I remember correctly they were charging 25-75 bucks to get in the door for a semi pro product, they went bankrupt after their 3rd season.

1 minute ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

If I remember correctly they were charging 25-75 bucks to get in the door for a semi pro product, they went bankrupt after their 3rd season.

Not sure on the prices but I'm sure only averaging 1200 fans a game didn't help.

8 minutes ago, vicvegas said:

Not sure on the prices but I'm sure only averaging 1200 fans a game didn't help.

Yeah I don't remember the exact the price but I remember it being pretty high, that was a rough estimate of what I remember.  The Red Sox and Rail Yard Dawgs do well here because of reasonably priced entertainment, you can't expect people to pay pro level prices for a semi pro product.  I'm not totally sure on the health of Arena Football in general even at the highest level.

Fayetteville has an arena football team. Their season starts when hockey season ends....Only conflict would be playoffs.

4 hours ago, Marksmen3519 said:

Fayetteville has an arena football team. Their season starts when hockey season ends....Only conflict would be playoffs.

So it's a safe bet then.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/roanoke-unveils-new-indoor-football-franchise/article_9d4ea7f2-8389-11e8-a2c4-fb1019ac49dd.html

This is a product that failed out of the gate last time, why try it again?  Also I wonder how this will muddy the waters for the Rail Yard Dawgs in scheduling moving forward?

I have serious doubts that this football league ever plays a game.

Posted (edited)

Although they may be a little more organized, but it kinda has that NPHL feel to it.

Edited by Onetimer

The Fayetteville team is called the Cape Fear Heroes who plays in the AAL which is also owned by the owner of the Heroes. Conflict? They seem to survive with low attendance. There is a team from Richmond, Va called the roughriders.

1 hour ago, Roanokefan1960 said:

I'm with you on this one, the league owns the team. They put a team in Roanoke with no minority owners signed on yet and they expect those folks to drum up all the business. The league seems scattered and you have to wonder about travel cost, operating budget etc. I see no way anyone would profit from it. Terrible idea, poorly thought and thrown together to quickly.

1 hour ago, Roanokefan1960 said:

Kinda thinking the same thing. Teams have 28 players with 22 being active each game, the league is saying players will make between 6k and 20k so if the average is 10k you are looking at payroll alone of just shy of 300k. Factoring in travel cost, arena lease, staff salaries, equipment and marketing and considering there will only 8 home games to bring in revenue, I can't imagine a scenario that makes the team successful. If they make ticket costs high enough to cover expenses they will be to expensive for the average fan to attend.

Interesting Column from Aaron McFarling in today's Roanoke Times.

Interesting Points

I do think having local owners BEFORE the announcement would have helped them tremendously. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

10 hours ago, Roanokehockey said:

Interesting Column from Aaron McFarling in today's Roanoke Times.

Interesting Points

I do think having local owners BEFORE the announcement would have helped them tremendously. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Like mentioned above, I will be shocked if there is a single game played in Roanoke.

Late to the party, but I agree with HockeyRoanoke. I don't think there's any way this team plays a game in Roanoke, much less survives past year one. I think Arena Football was a fad about 10-15 years ago and it's just progressively lost "Steam" since then. Why do we need this when we can go to Tech games during actual football season and see actual prospects? Not to say that it couldn't work here honestly, it'd be a cool novelty to have, but this business model seems to remind me of a certain team with a stupid purple snake that graced this area about 12 years ago.