Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Greg81102

Jersey Design Contest

1 hour ago, FlyersFan17 said:

Have you entered 

Nope, but you have until August 3rd.  Then everyone will vote on their favourite jersey.

I plan to enter. I have good skills at Photoshopping jerseys as I used to “mod” the NHL games for PC. I’m just lacking inspiration. I’m new to this area, and I usually like to draw on history, so that’s a dead end source of inspiration. My initial thought was somthing inspired by the Salem Rebels. Thoughts?

56 minutes ago, Theoriginalalex said:

I plan to enter. I have good skills at Photoshopping jerseys as I used to “mod” the NHL games for PC. I’m just lacking inspiration. I’m new to this area, and I usually like to draw on history, so that’s a dead end source of inspiration. My initial thought was somthing inspired by the Salem Rebels. Thoughts?

That's what everybody else is posting on facebook, but wanting a Roanoke Express throwback.  I wouldn't have a problem with it but personally I think they have a new identity.  I say leave the past in the past.  I'd rather see jerseys made for the team we are now.  If throwbacks were ever made I think it should be on a promotion actually put out by the team and its owners wanting it.  I'm proud to have them bring a new team and identity with the Dawgs.  The Salem and Roanoke Valley Rebels would be opening up another big can of worms.  With half of the fan base probably taking the rebel flag as offensive.  Which was part of the logo way back then, i'm not sure it would be in best interest to waste your time on something that no matter how you do it people will not vote for it.  But thats just my opinion.  

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

With half of the fan base probably taking the rebel flag as offensive.  Which was part of the logo way back then, i'm not sure it would be in best interest to waste your time on something that no matter how you do it people will not vote for it.

Yeah, that came to my mind as well. For that reason, I wasn’t planning to use the leaf logo, I wanted to go with the Rangers-style script reading “Roanoke”, similar to the late 60’s blue jerseys.

As far as an Express throwback, although it’d pander to the crowd, that’s not happening from me. That was a terrible logo and color scheme *ducks to avoid flying debris* and I have no desire to resurrect that.

Edited by Theoriginalalex

8 minutes ago, Theoriginalalex said:

Yeah, that came to my mind as well. For that reason, I wasn’t planning to use the leaf logo, I wanted to go with the Rangers-style script reading “Roanoke”, similar to the late 60’s blue jerseys.

I remember a couple of jerseys that read Rebels in the Rangers style.

Isn’t the game that will feature the jersey be in October? What about a Halloween or fall jersey?

I love Roanoke hockey history but I’d rather see a unique jersey for the Dawgs rather than a throwback. Save that for a night where the past teams can be celebrated. 

6 minutes ago, Canucks13 said:

Isn’t the game that will feature the jersey be in October? What about a Halloween or fall jersey?

I love Roanoke hockey history but I’d rather see a unique jersey for the Dawgs rather than a throwback. Save that for a night where the past teams can be celebrated. 

October 26th.  That is a pretty good idea to have somewhat of a Halloween theme of the Dawgs like they do for Christmas jerseys.  

4 hours ago, Theoriginalalex said:

Are you going to post here 

22 minutes ago, FlyersFan17 said:

Are you going to post here 

If I were you guys I wouldn't.  Last thing I need is someone to steal someone elses jersey design!!🤣

Atleast wait until you have entered it into the contest!

523_C16_DD-1_B95-49_E2-9_AC3-39_DB4246_F

I entered mine into the contest tonight so I don’t mind sharing it now. Descriptors should say it all.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Theoriginalalex said:

I entered mine into the contest tonight so I don’t mind sharing it now. Descriptors should say it all.

Looks good!!

• Like 1

What can I use to design one 

I’d like to see a jersey with the shoulder patch (the star with Roanoke in front) as the primary logo. 

2 hours ago, Theoriginalalex said:

I like the design overall. The train track striping is a nice subtle touch. I’m not crazy about the “RYD” on the front but I’m glad you did something other than a diagonal “Roanoke” across the chest. I’m also glad you stayed away from putting “Dawgs” on it. I think a star patch on both shoulders would also look a little better and maybe take the yellow out. As I said, great job! I don’t have the ability to make one but I wish I could!

5 hours ago, Canucks13 said:

I’m also glad you stayed away from putting “Dawgs” on it. I think a star patch on both shoulders would also look a little better and maybe take the yellow out.

Oh, an earlier version had the “Dawgs” wordmark cut out from the main logo, but I really didn’t like how it looked, so back to the drawing board.

As far as the star patch on the shoulders: I really considered it. In the end wanted stars as part of the “RYD” design, and didn’t want to overdo it with shoulder stars as well. I do really like that logo and want to see it used more by the team.

• Like 1

When will the winner be  Announced 

1 hour ago, Future said:

When will the winner be  Announced 

To my knowledge, there was no certain date announced.  But the way it sounds there will be more then one jersey announced and then everyone will vote on which one is the best.  Not sure of any dates given that I know of yet.

On 7/18/2018 at 8:22 PM, Theoriginalalex said:

Yours was easily the best of the bunch. Voted for it. I liked the Yellow one too, but it looked way too Nashville for me. This is perfect. Great striping, great font, great logo on the front. 

I voted for the yellow one. I was conflicted about voting for that one or option 5 but I liked how the dawgs logo was incorporated on the shoulders of the yellow jersey. In my opinion, options 2, 5, and 6 are the best ones. I feel like the others missed the mark a bit and really did not capture the team but I appreciate the effort put forth in all the jerseys!

I liked them all.  But had to choose one that put the team name on the jersey.  I really liked option 2 but didn't vote for it because it would look horrendous with our red helmets and gloves.  If i knew we were going back to blue I would have probably voted for it.  My final vote went to option 3.  Kept mostly with our color scheme, implemented the Roanoke Star, and displayed the name so people can clearly see what team it is.