Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Greg81102

Dave Schultz

This was way before my time but maybe some of you remember him from the Salem Rebels.

11 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

This was way before my time but maybe some of you remember him from the Salem Rebels.

I remember Dave. The flyers enforcer. Wasn't any good at anything else. I checked to see if Jake Schultz was related but he isn't.

29 minutes ago, 72Vette said:

I remember Dave. The flyers enforcer. Wasn't any good at anything else. I checked to see if Jake Schultz was related but he isn't.

What about Evan Schultz?

I am wanting to make a replica of his sweater with the rebels, however I am having a hard time finding his number. Does anyone have a photo or proof of what number he wore when playing for Salem?

23 minutes ago, bjonesehc said:

I am wanting to make a replica of his sweater with the rebels, however I am having a hard time finding his number. Does anyone have a photo or proof of what number he wore when playing for Salem?

1 hour ago, bjonesehc said:

Hockey db shows numbers of players if you click on the team they play for.  Shows like HockeyRoanoke said 16.  

• Thanks 2

Surprised they haven't reached out to him for an appearance. Granted, he's a hockey God up in Philly so he might command a high appearance fee but the dude signs hammers! How great is that?!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

Surprised they haven't reached out to him for an appearance. Granted, he's a hockey God up in Philly so he might command a high appearance fee but the dude signs hammers! How great is that?!

From what I read a few years ago he seems like a pretty busy man.  Working for an energy company, owned his own limo services, was talking about writing a book and movie on his life, and even some stand up comedy.  Players back then still have to work.  If I remember right, he only made $50-80k per year.  I think he said his last year playing he broke the $100k barrier.  Was a real nice article to read.  Something about where are they now article.  If I can find it, i'll post it.

I saw Dave Schultz play in the 1969-1970 season for the Salem Rebels. That year he led the league in penalty minutes with 356 minutes. That year had some really tough guys in the league with Charlotte Checker's Hal Willis and Bob Shupe and the Greensboro Generals Roger Wilson to name a few.  Someone mentioned he was a good enforcer, fighter but wasn't much good at anything else. That is actually not exactly true. In his year in Salem he had 69 points in 67 games. In the NHL for the Flyers he had respectable numbers even excluding his massive penalty minutes. One thing to note was for Schultz to be such a rough player, he did not miss many games with injuries. He was very durable.     

Have his book he signed at the Salem Civic Center way back when, almost had his jersey but was outbidded by Former Enforcer

Steve Doll??

Sgt.Schultz wasn't known to use his stick on you, but good darn sure use his fists!!