Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

RapidFire19

Elmira Name, Logo Released

https://busleaguehockey.com/2018/08/02/elmira-announces-team-name-and-logo-first-player-signing/

After much waiting and anticipation, both of which were only amplified by the announcement being pushed back a week, the Elmira FHL team announced its name and logo Thursday afternoon at First Arena.

And the new team name is…

THE ELMIRA ENFORCERS!

The Enforcers opted for the alliteration angle with the E nickname to pair with Elmira, and went with a strong, fierce-looking police officer decked out in grey clothes, with a nod to the Elmira area code on the officer’s hat. He is also holding a hockey stick with a pair of skates dangling off of the end, and also looks suspiciously like team owner Robbie Nichols. There’s a nice pop of color with the straight-forward Elmira Enforcers font, bringing green back to the league for the first time since the Danbury franchise folded two seasons ago.

Many people wondered if the team would continue to be named the Jackals, but with the ECHL holding the trademarks to that name and logo still, that was likely never going to happen.

Reaction to the logo online and in our mentions on both Twitter and Facebook has been…mixed to say the least. We’ll have more thoughts on the name and logo in a separate post, but for now, hockey fans in Elmira have a team name to root for and know what their colors will be, the Elmira Enforcers in grey and green.

In addition to the new team name and logo, the Enforcers announced their first player signing, veteran goalie Nick Niedert, who played a handful of games for the Elmira Jackals of the ECHL over his VERY traveled minor league career. Niedert’s pro career dates back to 2004-05 with the Macon Trax of the SPHL, and he has played games in every season of the FHL’s existence.

Niedert’s best season in the FHL came in 2010-11 with the Danbury Whalers, where he went 19-4-3 with a 3.52 GAA and .898 save percentage across 38 games. Niedert has spent most of his FHL time in Danbury, but also had stinks in Danville and Watertown. He appeared in just two games last season for the Carolina Thunderbirds, but is just one season removed from a 13-5-1 mark with a 3.13 GAA in 2016-17 for the Danbury Titans. His best pro season would be 2008-09 with the Jersey Rockhoppers of the EPHL, where he captured league MVP honors with a mark of 25-15-2 across 42 games.

The press conference for the name and logo reveal is on-going, and this story will be updated with any other news that comes from it.

veteran goalie Nick Niedert, who played a handful of games for the Elmira Jackals of the ECHL over his VERY traveled minor league career. Niedert’s pro career dates back to 2004-05 with the Macon Trax of the SPHL, and he has played games in every season of the FHL’s existence.

Well-traveled in the SPHL from 2004-07, and again in 2011-12 and 2012-13:

2004-05 6.png Asheville Aces SPHL 3 5.04 .867 |        
  6.png Columbus Cottonmouths SPHL 1 0.00 1.000 |        
  6.png Knoxville Ice Bears SPHL 2 4.37 .897 |        
  6.png Macon Trax SPHL 9 4.05 .870 |        
2005-06 6.png Huntsville Havoc SPHL 9 3.79 .880 |        
  6.png Florida Seals SPHL 3 3.43 .862 |        
2006-07 6.png Huntsville Havoc SPHL 11 4.59 .887 |

2011-12                    
  6.png Knoxville Ice Bears SPHL 3 4.95 .869 |        

2012-13                    
  6.png Augusta RiverHawks SPHL 2 2.70 .911

Niedert’s best season in the FHL came in 2010-11 with the Danbury Whalers, where he went 19-4-3 with a 3.52 GAA and .898 save percentage across 38 games. Niedert has spent most of his FHL time in Danbury, but also had stinks in Danville and Watertown

Maybe not such a typo- GAA and save percentage not so hot in those stints there in Danville and Watertown:

2013-14 6.png Danville Dashers FHL 16 5.43 .866 |        

6.png Watertown Privateers FHL 10 6.64 .834 | Playoffs 3 5.35 .880

2014-15                    
  6.png Watertown Wolves FHL 7 3.89 .876 | Playoffs 2 3.92 .929

3 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

veteran goalie Nick Niedert, who played a handful of games for the Elmira Jackals of the ECHL over his VERY traveled minor league career. Niedert’s pro career dates back to 2004-05 with the Macon Trax of the SPHL, and he has played games in every season of the FHL’s existence. ...

Niedert is a true minor league hockey legend.  The word "journeyman" in any sports dictionary oughta have his picture next to it.  I hope Elmira has some dates in Danville for the coming season, so I can drive over & cheer for Nick.  :notworthy:

37 minutes ago, Speedracer said:

Is this the Y, M, C, or A guy???

I saw that mentioned on FB

Wow, i'm not sure I like either one of them.  Enforcers seems a bit simple for a hockey team name.  You get a hockey team think of something original.  But I could get past the simplicity of the name.  But that logo is hideous.  🤔

Maybe that’s the strategy. Get ‘em bent over laughing so hard they can skate right past and score. 

I do like the Southern Tier area code inclusion on the cap.  Subtle marketing.  Probably TOO subtle.

I checked the FHL schedule, and Elmira is slated to visit Danville on the first weekend.  That improves my chances of seeing Nick Niedert in action ... as well as improving the chances of an Elmira team actually making it to Danville this season ...  :unsure: