Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
RapidFire19

Mentor Announces Coaching Change

https://www.federalhockey.com/news/ice-breakers-announce-coaching-change

FEDERAL HOCKEY LEAGUE

ICE BREAKERS ANNOUNCE COACHING CHANGE

August 9, 2018

Mentor, OH - The Mentor Ice Breakers have announced a coaching change ahead of the 2018-19 season. Iain Duncan has been promoted internally to Head Coach and General Manager of the team. Duncan was previously the Assistant Coach and Assistant General Manager. “We had the opportunity to grab a local ex-NHLer with a lot of coaching experience. This was something that we had to jump on as we look to hit the ground running with a successful first season.” team ownership said in a statement.

Duncan, 55, is a former NHL player for the Winnipeg Jets in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and was a member of the NHL All-Rookie Team in his first season in the league (1987). He also enjoyed a successful career at Bowling Green State University where he was a two-year team captain and helped the team win the 1983-84 NCAA Championship. His extensive professional career also saw stops in the AHL, ECHL, CHL, and IHL.

“I want to look ahead, not only to this season, but seasons beyond; I’m looking forward to this challenge.” Duncan said. “The coaching that I received at the NCAA and NHL levels was the best in the world. I’m eager to pass on what I’ve learned from those great coaches that I have had and put my own spin on it. I’ve been involved in pro sports before and there’s going to be growing pains with a new team, but any player that spends time with our team will learn life skills and hockey skills that will equip them well for the future.”

The Ice Breakers Home Opener is on October 27th when the defending Commissioner's Cup Champion Watertown Wolves come to town.

The Mentor Ice Breakers are excited to start their inaugural season in the Federal Hockey League, now in its ninth season. The Ice Breakers will play their home games at Mentor Civic Arena. Season tickets are available now by emailing iaind@mentoricebreakers.com.

Oh, the carousel of the F(P)HL:

On 7/23/18 the Ice Breakers announced on their own site,

"The Mentor Ice Breakers will be Coached and General Managed by long-time Port Huron Prowlers big-name Joe Pace Sr., who has been with the team since 2017.

Joe Pace Jr., his son, will take over the same roles with the Prowlers for the coming season." 

Now on 8/9/18 "The Mentor Ice Breakers have announced a coaching change ahead of the 2018-19 season. Iain Duncan has been promoted internally to Head Coach and General Manager of the team."

Image result for whirling dervish images

Wonder where SR will go now since JR took over Port Huron?  Maybe he might have time to start up the UHL finally!

38 minutes ago, Roanokefan1960 said:

Sooooo... Does Mentor eventually become the first FHL Team to fold this season?

They would be the odds-on favorite for that distinction, but I reckon Barry Soskin isn't gonna let them go down without a fight.  They are in a sweet spot geographically for both his Port Huron & Danville teams to visit.  Elmira is conveniently located for PH travel as well, so keep an eye on Watertown to mysteriously falter.

This logo is starting to grow on me ...

Mentor Ice Breakers logo.jpg

But how long will the feeling (and the team) last?  :huh: