Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

MacGuy

Mayhem Voice Erik Evenson Accepts Position with Independence Bowl

Mayhem Voice Erik Evenson Accepts Position with Independence Bowl

Mayhem Director of Media Relations & Broadcasting Erik Evenson has accepted a position as the Director of Media & Community Relations for the Walk-On’s Independence Bowl in Shreveport, Louisiana.

“We’re very excited to see Erik take this step and grow professionally,” Mayhem General Manager Blair Floyd said. “The SPHL is not only a development league for players, it’s also a development league for front office staff to advance their careers. We look forward to seeing what the future holds for him.”

Evenson had served as the “Voice of the Macon Mayhem” for the past two seasons, calling all Mayhem home games on SPHL Live and The Sin Bin. A former player at the University of Alabama, Evenson began broadcasting hockey halfway through college before getting his pro chance with the Mayhem in 2016. Though eager about the opportunity ahead of him, leaving the Mayhem is a bittersweet feeling for the 24-year-old. 

“Macon helped me out a lot,” Evenson said. “It opened me up to the world, taught me new things and gave me a great deal of support. [Owners] Bob and Diane Kerzner, [General Manager] Blair Floyd, [Head Coach] Leo Thomas, and everyone who worked there greatly helped me. I’ll miss being in Macon and miss being around the guys. It’ll be tough to be away from them.”

Over the past two seasons, the Lawrenceville, GA native helped grow the Mayhem’s brand in Macon through media appearances, community programs, creating partnerships, and more. He will go on to play a fairly similar role in Shreveport with the Walk-On’s Independence Bowl, an NCAA-sanctioned Division I football game played at Independence Stadium every December. Already, he and his team have put on multiple community events, including a junior tennis tournament and a 5K.

The search for a new media relations/broadcasting director has been conducted and has concluded. The announcement will be made shortly. In the meantime, visit maconmayhem.com or call the Mayhem front office at (478) 803-1592 for information on the upcoming season.