Jump to content

Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

  • Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here


Sign in to follow this  
fred

I might

Recommended Posts

I don't understand why concessions are so high in the first place.  Especially in the minor leagues where most teams are hurting for attendance.  Of course cheaper concessions will bring more people out and they are more likely to spend more money if concessions aren't outrageous.  I would like this to get around to all sporting events.  More people will come if they don't think your costing them an arm and a leg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:18 AM, Greg81102 said:

I don't understand why concessions are so high in the first place.  Especially in the minor leagues where most teams are hurting for attendance.  Of course cheaper concessions will bring more people out and they are more likely to spend more money if concessions aren't outrageous.  I would like this to get around to all sporting events.  More people will come if they don't think your costing them an arm and a leg.

I don't know about the NHL. But I believe most minor league teams don't get anything from the concessions. So probably don't have a say in the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, fred said:

I don't know about the NHL. But I believe most minor league teams don't get anything from the concessions. So probably don't have a say in the price.

Yea, our owners have mentioned that in the past.  But we also have had $2 beer and drinks you can buy before every game before the puck drops.  I don't drink much beer, but i sure get my $2 drink every game.  You see beer drinkers walking around with a beer in every hand.  If they could carry one with a foot i think they would.  😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NHL has a mix.  Those who own their arenas (e.g., Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Denver) get the lion's share of concessions revenue. Other teams have various contract terms that give them some portion of the concessions income.  An odd situation existed in St. Louis for several seasons, after the previous majority owner of the Blues sold his concession rights to cover a balloon payment on his initial debt to buy the team.  This was a long-term concession deal that the new team owners inherited, which proves: It ain't just minor league hockey teams who make stupid business decisions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they would donate a dollar of each beer sold to the Salvation Army, That would make my beer drinking tax deductible.

Edited by fred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fred said:

If they would donate a dollar of each beer sold to the Salvation Army, That would make my beer drinking tax deductible.

You'd get tax credit only if YOU put the dollar in the kettle.  Once the money is in the concessionaire's hands, the benefit of donation has been transferred to them.  Always pays to check the tax code before you drink.  Though it's easier to understand after you drink.  :drunk:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

You'd get tax credit only if YOU put the dollar in the kettle.  Once the money is in the concessionaire's hands, the benefit of donation has been transferred to them.  Always pays to check the tax code before you drink.  Though it's easier to understand after you drink.  :drunk:

When I bought my grand daughter a jersey where the the Havoc donated the proceeds from the auction to a charity, they gave me a receipt for the tax deductible portion.

Edited by fred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fred said:

When I bought my grand daughter a jersey where the the Havoc donated the proceeds from the auction to a charity, they gave me a receipt for the tax deductible portion.

That was quite magnanimous of them.  I hope your jersey purchase is now outside the IRS audit period.  :eyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

That was quite magnanimous of them.  I hope your jersey purchase is now outside the IRS audit period.  :eyes:

I thought the IRS can come get you no matter how long ago? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, fred said:

I thought the IRS can come get you no matter how long ago? 

Usually 3 years; up to 6 years if they find a "substantial error" in an individual tax return.  We probably shouldn't be having the public conversation, for the sake of your granddaughter's future inheritance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the IRS was like the phone company, all powerful with no limits put on them. But if I paid $325 for a $69 jersey and the extra $256 went to charity, I'm not allowed to deduct it? I honestly can't remember what the charity was though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you buy one of the charity jerseys at the Havoc auctions -- whether for St. Jude, World of Work, Still Serving Veterans, the Huntsville Hospital NICU, or something else -- your actual transaction is typically with the Light the Lamp Foundation, the 501(c)(3) charitable arm of the Havoc.  They provide the receipt for the tax deduction (with the "value of goods received" included on it), then aggregate and pass along all the auction proceeds to the final charity.  It simplifies payments by credit card.

If you want to give to the Salvation Army, skip the VBC beer vendors and drop some money into the kettle instead.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TwistedBrass said:

When you buy one of the charity jerseys at the Havoc auctions -- whether for St. Jude, World of Work, Still Serving Veterans, the Huntsville Hospital NICU, or something else -- your actual transaction is typically with the Light the Lamp Foundation, the 501(c)(3) charitable arm of the Havoc.  They provide the receipt for the tax deduction (with the "value of goods received" included on it), then aggregate and pass along all the auction proceeds to the final charity.  It simplifies payments by credit card.

If you want to give to the Salvation Army, skip the VBC beer vendors and drop some money into the kettle instead.

So I'm not going to jail? I do put money in the kettle. But I go to the beer stand at the VBC way more often than Wal-mart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, fred said:

... I go to the beer stand at the VBC way more often than Wal-mart. 

I am unexpectedly pleased by that statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fred said:

So I'm not going to jail? ...

 

37 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Worried? Skeletons in the closet? Collusion with Russia?

Crimes against an unnamed beer vendor who served you more foam than fluid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TwistedBrass said:

When you buy one of the charity jerseys at the Havoc auctions -- whether for St. Jude, World of Work, Still Serving Veterans, the Huntsville Hospital NICU, or something else -- your actual transaction is typically with the Light the Lamp Foundation, the 501(c)(3) charitable arm of the Havoc.  They provide the receipt for the tax deduction (with the "value of goods received" included on it), then aggregate and pass along all the auction proceeds to the final charity.  It simplifies payments by credit card.

If you want to give to the Salvation Army, skip the VBC beer vendors and drop some money into the kettle instead.

I sent my daughter down with all the money I had in my pocket and she came back with the jersey and the receipt. I gave the receipt to my tax Lady. Now some guy from Missouri is telling me I have committed tax fraud and should probably just flee the country to avoid the wrath of the IRS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, fred said:

I sent my daughter down with all the money I had in my pocket and she came back with the jersey and the receipt. I gave the receipt to my tax Lady. Now some guy from Missouri is telling me I have committed tax fraud and should probably just flee the country to avoid the wrath of the IRS. 

I'm no tax lawyer.  I was simply suggesting you take the action that would be best for all parties involved in this thread.  :bouquet:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

I'm no tax lawyer.

It might be better if you let us people who seek our important life information on hockey forums know this before giving advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fred said:

It might be better if you let us people who seek our important life information on hockey forums know this before giving advice. 

I will take that under advisement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members
     
     

    No registered users viewing this page.

     
×