Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

SouthernHockeyGirl

Marksmen Player Signing Discussion

Protected players that I think will return/report to training camp: Jake Hauswirth, Jamie Hill, Junior Harris, Brad Campagna, Carl Greco...and (maybe) Tyler Palmer

Unprotected players that I think will return/be invited to training camp: Brad Drobot

Players that I would LIKE to see attend training camp: Michael Santaguida (Port Huron), Jiri Pestuka (Winston-Salem), Dalton Jay (Port Huron), Tyler Green (former RiverKings), Matt Harrington (former RiverKings), Tomas Nemeth (France4)

I'll never understand why Mazzolini waived Nemo from Marksmen camp last season. Guy plays dual role and is a beast. Here's his current stats.... https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/122877/tomas-nemeth

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarksmenArtist said:

I'll never understand why Mazzolini waived Nemo from Marksmen camp last season. Guy plays dual role and is a beast. 

Maybe Mazz had trouble finding (a spot for) Nemo:

Image result for "finding nemo" images

BTW, "no copyright infringement is intended"

• Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:33 PM, MarksmenArtist said:

Protected players that I think will return/report to training camp: Jake Hauswirth, Jamie Hill, Junior Harris, Brad Campagna, Carl Greco...and (maybe) Tyler Palmer

Unprotected players that I think will return/be invited to training camp: Brad Drobot

Players that I would LIKE to see attend training camp: Michael Santaguida (Port Huron), Jiri Pestuka (Winston-Salem), Dalton Jay (Port Huron), Tyler Green (former RiverKings), Matt Harrington (former RiverKings), Tomas Nemeth (France4)

I'll never understand why Mazzolini waived Nemo from Marksmen camp last season. Guy plays dual role and is a beast. Here's his current stats.... https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/122877/tomas-nemeth

Hauswirth - check

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Make Marky GM said:

It must be a generational thing but I had never heard of the "famous singer" with the last name of Sheeran before this very minute.

Edited to add:Professional hockey is in Sheeran’s blood, as his cousins Brendan and Reilly Smith are both NHL players.

Ed Sheeran, British singer.

1 hour ago, Make Marky GM said:

It must be a generational thing but I had never heard of the "famous singer" with the last name of Sheeran before this very minute.

Edited to add:Professional hockey is in Sheeran’s blood, as his cousins Brendan and Reilly Smith are both NHL players.

13 minutes ago, 72Vette said:

Ed Sheeran, British singer.

Wonder if Sheeran and Harris Jr do a song and dance duet during a ref timeout for ice issues?

NCAA D-1, last season numbers, 

32 games 1 Goal 

4 assists 5TP's

2 minutes ago, 72Vette said:

NCAA D-1, last season numbers, 

32 games 1 Goal 

4 assists 5TP's

Yea.....not impressive. If he sticks, maybe having better players around him will make his game better. Can wish can't we?

1 hour ago, Marksmen3519 said:

Yea.....not impressive. If he sticks, maybe having better players around him will make his game better. Can wish can't we?

Can only hope Jessie knows what he's doing.

Posted (edited)

DeBrincat is probably one. You get bonus points if you can come up with the other. 

Edited by Make Marky GM

2 minutes ago, Make Marky GM said:

DeBrincat is probably one. You get bonus points if you can come up with the other.  I checked all SPHL unprotected players from last year and could not find one who both "dressed in an ECHL jersey and graduated from NCAA Div III in 2018". 

Take a closer look "Make Marky GM".....both silhouettes are goalies.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/17/2018 at 2:46 PM, Marksmen3519 said:

Take a closer look "Make Marky GM".....both silhouettes are goalies.

On facebook our sly media guy posted "We won’t announce the positions of our two players before Friday..."  😲  I didn't pay attention to the silhouettes for clues with that knowledge.  If in fact they are both goalies then my guess will be Braeden Ostepchuk and Dillon Kelley. Ostepchuk  played one game with Pensy and one game with Greenville and finished the year on Pensy's suspended list I believe.  Kelley played one game with Norfolk.  They both played for NCAA Div III programs in 2018.

Edited by Make Marky GM

On 7/17/2018 at 3:23 PM, Make Marky GM said:

On facebook our sly media guy posted "We won’t announce the positions of our two players before Friday..."  😲  I didn't pay attention to the silhouettes for clues with that knowledge.  If in fact they are both goalies then my guess will be Braeden Ostepchuk and Dillon Kelley. Ostepchuk  played one game with Pensy and one game with Greenville and finished the year on Pensy's suspended list I believe.  Kelley played one game with Norfolk.  They both played for NCAA Div III programs in 2018.

I see you saw the Peoria signing update. 

On 7/17/2018 at 4:08 PM, Greg81102 said:

Looks like your two are still safe. I didnt say a name, but Kelley was the first goalie I saw listed under D III and searched....so that's my pick. I'm staying with my choice.

• Like 1

I see a lot of announcements from other teams with experienced skilled players. One would think we would do the same to get the fans a little more excited for the up and coming season. Maybe they are waiting to announce them towards the end?

On 7/19/2018 at 12:04 PM, 72Vette said:

I see a lot of announcements from other teams with experienced skilled players. One would think we would do the same to get the fans a little more excited for the up and coming season. Maybe they are waiting to announce them towards the end?

I would love a few MRK players or at least some FA's from other teams....looks like they are announcing some of the newbies now. I do agree though, hopefully some more SPHL experienced guys will be announced soon.

Posted (edited)

Jason's pads will look good with a Marksmen jersey (if he still uses those in the picture).  According to stats, Jason is a left handed goalie. That can be an advantage! Remember how good leftie goalie Kevin Murdock was?

Edited by MarksmenArtist
Additional text
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MarksmenArtist said:

Jason's pads will look good with a Marksmen jersey (if he still uses those in the picture).  According to stats, Jason is a left handed goalie. That can be an advantage! Remember how good leftie goalie Kevin Murdock was?

According to Fayetteville's photo they are both catching with their left hands.

2 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

According to Fayetteville's photo they are both catching with their left hands.

Maybe Kelley's eliteprospects page is wrong...says he catches "R". His FB pictures shows he catches "L" as well. I'm gonna concluded you are correct Greg. Both are lefties.....

Posted (edited)

Patrick Spano catches with his left. How'd that work out for us? It doesn't matter if they catch with their feet as long as they have the athletic ability and instincts needed to keep the puck out of the net.

Edited by Make Marky GM

16 minutes ago, Make Marky GM said:

Patrick Spano catches with his left. How'd that work out for us? It doesn't matter if they catch with their feet as long as they have the athletic ability and instincts needed to keep the puck out of the net.

it doesn't matter at all but i've seen percentages of 85% to 90% of goalies catch with their left hands.  You hardly ever see one catches with the right.  Its not always what hand you are either.  It's sometimes preference.  I'm right handed and played baseball so use to catching with left hand.  But if you catch with left hand you have to hold stick in right hand and shoot the opposite way you usually do or switch your stick up in your hands to shoot righthanded.  Its confusing.  😂