Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

SouthernHockeyGirl

Marksmen Player Signing Discussion

9 hours ago, Marksmen3519 said:

Bonar = Lefty.....:hmm: hmm, all lefty's must be bad goalies...

Why would you think this? Marc Andre Fluery is left handed and last I looked he is pretty good.

On 7/17/2018 at 3:23 PM, Make Marky GM said:

On facebook our sly media guy posted "We won’t announce the positions of our two players before Friday..."  😲  I didn't pay attention to the silhouettes for clues with that knowledge.  If in fact they are both goalies then my guess will be Braeden Ostepchuk and Dillon Kelley. Ostepchuk  played one game with Pensy and one game with Greenville and finished the year on Pensy's suspended list I believe.  Kelley played one game with Norfolk.  They both played for NCAA Div III programs in 2018.

We won’t be sly...he’s a forward 😉 let the guesses rain from the forums! #FearTheFox🦊

Well played!  

Jamie Hill?

Posted (edited)
On 7/27/2018 at 9:10 AM, Marksmen3519 said:

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. – After weeks of announcing exciting new rookies to the team, the Fayetteville Marksmen professional hockey team is so excited to welcome back forward Jamie Hill to the 2018-19 roster.

“Jamie is a player who we were happy to bring back this season. He has developed his game playing in some very prestigious programs over the years, and we expect him to share that experience with our young core of players,” said Kallechy “He is very talented offensively, using his speed and skill to create space for his teammates. He will be a big catalyst for our offense this season, but we also expect him to round out his game and be one of our best 200-foot players as well.”

I thought these were the tallest hockey players ever: 

Who is this giant hockey player?!

BarDown Staff

•  

Giant hockey player

Giant hockey player , Instagram/hockeyplayersclub

When hockey fans think of the tallest hockey player, Zdeno Chara is always the first name that comes to mind.

After all, the 40-year-old defenceman is listed as 6-foot-9, 250-pounds on NHL.com and uses a stick that is taller than a lot of players.

Embedded Image Steve Babineau/NHLI via Getty Images

But while Chara gets all the attention for being the tallest player in the league, there’s actually a handful of players who are only an inch or two shorter than the Bruins captain.

Here are 5 of the tallest players in the NHL, not including Chara.

Tyler Myers

Embedded Image Justin Edmonds/Getty Images

Everyone knows that Winnipeg Jets defenceman Tyler Myers is capable of making some big plays and mixing in some massive hits at the same time. The Houston, Texas native is listed at 6-foot-8 on NHL.com and weighs approximately 230 pounds. He’s the second-tallest player in the NHL, right behind Chara.

Ben Bishop

Embedded Image Andrew D. Bernstein/NHLI via Getty Images

While Chara is known throughout the league as the tallest player, Ben Bishop has taken the title of tallest goalie in the league. Standing 6-foot-7, 216-pounds, Bishop towers over most of his opponents and does a good job covering a majority of the net when he stands still.

Jamie Oleksiak

Embedded Image Rocky W. Widner/NHL/Getty Images

The Dallas Stars are very young on the blue line, but one of the bright spots is Jamie Oleksiak. Standing 6-foot-7 and weighing in at 255-pounds, the 24-year-old defenceman will be a key piece on their blue line for many years to come.

Brian Boyle

Embedded Image Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images

Brian Boyle certainly knows how to use his size to his advantage. Over the years, Boyle has become a key player for postseason runs, as the 6-foot-6 , 245-pound centreman isn’t afraid to use his body when needed.

Victor Hedman

Embedded Image Scott Audette/NHLI via Getty Images

The Tampa Bay Lightning started off the season as one of the tallest teams in the league. Aside from 6-foot-7 Ben Bishop and 6-foot-6 Brian Boyle, defenceman Victor Hedman also stands 6-foot-6 and weighs in at 223 pounds.

Now that you have an idea of how tall the tallest NHL players actually are, it brings us to our question for you. We recently came across this photo of quite possibly one of the tallest and largest hockey players of all-time, but we don’t know where he plays or who he is.

We need your help trying to figure out who this player is because he can probably steamroll through a few players if he needed to. If you have any thoughts as to who this might be, tweet us to let us know because his story needs to be shared.

(H/T Instagram/hockeyplayersclub)

Edited by PlannedObsolescence

Tweet by Marksmen.  Looks like you got you a Riverkings player.  Only 2 second year players I can think of that are good pick ups would be Dan Tedesco or Jake Schultz.  Tweet:

This week we’ll be announcing a player new to us, NOT as new to the SPHL. This second-year player probably spent most of last season “walkin’ in Memphis”. #FearTheFox🦊https://t.co/kcNg0hDd0d

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Greg81102 said:

Tweet by Marksmen.  Looks like you got you a Riverkings player.  Only 2 second year players I can think of that are good pick ups would be Dan Tedesco or Jake Schultz.  Tweet:

This week we’ll be announcing a player new to us, NOT as new to the SPHL. This second-year player probably spent most of last season “walkin’ in Memphis”. #FearTheFox🦊https://t.co/kcNg0hDd0d

If by second year player they mean this coming year will be the second year that rules out Tedesco. He played 2 games in the E in 2016/17. So technically this would be his 3rd pro season (I think?). It would be great if it was Tedesco.  It wouldn't surprise me to see Tedesco sign in the E to start the season this year.

For me the 3 possibles I can think of are Jake Schultz (if so, we have our new enforcer), Mark Whiteley and Krisnap Bazevics.  All 3 are D-men.  I'll rule out Whiteley as he only played 11 games for MRK which doesn't fit the clue of "probably spent most of last season Walkin' in Memphis."  Other possibles from the clue could be Taylor Pryce or a couple of other players MRK waived during the course of the season.

Saw the ghost of Elvis
On Union Avenue
Followed him up to the gates of Graceland
Then I watched him walk right through

Edited by Make Marky GM

Posted (edited)

"Shares the initials with a Front Office member" narrows it down😎 but I had it at "returned to the Crown as a foe."  It was cool the time Spano stopped him on a penalty shot and then Spano gave him a little love tap with his stick as he skated past.  Shane Bennett was more than a little upset with that move. Glad to have him back though- he's a good skater with the ability to score.

Nick Miglio just announced he is headed to Germany to play.

Edited by Make Marky GM

Shane was more than upset...more than once! Threw a total meltdown temper tantrum in the sin bin in that same game against us. But, that's hockey! He shot well as a Marksmen last year, but is a bit of a "solo" player. Maybe he'll get in a better "team player" mindset at camp.

8 hours ago, Make Marky GM said:

"Shares the initials with a Front Office member" narrows it down😎 but I had it at "returned to the Crown as a foe."  It was cool the time Spano stopped him on a penalty shot and then Spano gave him a little love tap with his stick as he skated past.  Shane Bennett was more than a little upset with that move. Glad to have him back though- he's a good skater with the ability to score.

Nick Miglio just announced he is headed to Germany to play.

Just saw it on Instagram.....Thanks, the thread is updated. Checked eliteprospects.com, nothing updated there. So maybe tomorrow.

Posted (edited)

Drobot signs with Knoxville. Our loss is certainly the Ice Bears gain. He'll be with former teammates Kyle McNeil, Joe Tolles, and Berkley Scott. I'm sure the Knoxville community and fans will be glad to have him. Game on November 16th at the Crown should be interesting.

Edited by SouthernHockeyGirl
Typo
  • Like 1

Hope we pick up an enforcer who can stand toe to toe with them and play hockey of course.

46 minutes ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Drobot signs with Knoxville. Our loss is certainly the Ice Bears gain. He'll be with former teammates Kyle McNeil, Joe Tolles, and Berkley Scott. I'm sure the Knoxville community and fans will be glad to have him. Game on November 16th at the Crown should be interesting.Drobot signs with Knoxville. Our loss is certainly the Ice Bears gain. He'll be with former teammates Kyle McNeil, Joe Tolles, and Berkley Scott. I'm sure the Knoxville community and fans will be glad to have him. Game on November 16th at the Crown should be interesting.

According to KNX thread, Scott retired.

5 minutes ago, 72Vette said:

Hope we pick up an enforcer who can stand toe to toe with them and play hockey of course.

I don't think Kallechy likes enforcers much....why let 3 capable enforcers walk just to sign another?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RapidFire19 said:

According to KNX thread, Scott retired.

I don't think Kallechy likes enforcers much....why let 3 capable enforcers walk just to sign another?

So we can sign players that are more than one dimensional and contribute more than 5-6 shifts per game.  it's about wins and losses, not appeasing player's fan clubs.

• Like 1

I was speaking of a big body D-man or forward who could stand up when needed and can play the game also. Drobot was not that and Kyle was taking up a vet spot.

1 hour ago, AfghanPiehole said:

So we can sign players that are more than one dimensional and contribute more than 5-6 shifts per game.  it's about wins and losses, not appeasing player's fan clubs.

I said 3 not 1.....my comment doesn't single out one player. I also meant Harris and McNeil. I know you hated Drobot, but if you are going to make comments about players and the team...maybe you should attend more games. Most of your comments are when the team loses. I live an hour away too, and I attend every game.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Right RapidFire, we need more than "one dimensional fans" that attend more than "5-6 games too." Anyone is fooling themselves if they don't realize that those "fan favorites" do more to put butts in the seats than wins or losses do. At least in this level of play they do. It's about the connections that players make with fans that keep them coming back...and spending money. THAT, folks, is what can save or sink a team - the human factor. That's where the passion is.

Edited by SouthernHockeyGirl
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Right RapidFire, we need more than "one dimensional fans" that attend more than "5-6 games too." Anyone is fooling themselves if they don't realize that those "fan favorites" do more to put butts in the seats than wins or losses do. At least in this level of play they do. It's about the connections that players make with fans that keep them coming back...and spending money. THAT, folks, is what can save or sink a team - the human factor. That's where the passion is.

Only problem with that is most of a team's fanbase doesn't really know how a player is off the ice or what they do in the community.  I would say the biggest portion of fans go off the wins, losses, and how the team competes on the ice.  Speaking of living an hour away.  When a team really stinks that makes for a long and disappointing ride home.  Don't know about y'all but i like car rides home a lot more when my team wins and plays a good game.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Drobot signs with Knoxville. Our loss is certainly the Ice Bears gain. He'll be with former teammates Kyle McNeil, Joe Tolles, and Berkley Scott.

2 hours ago, RapidFire19 said:

I said 3 not 1.....my comment doesn't single out one player. I also meant Harris and McNeil. I know you hated Drobot, but if you are going to make comments about players and the team...maybe you should attend more games. Most of your comments are when the team loses. I live an hour away too, and I attend every game.

Maybe if I didn't work nights then I could be able to attend more games but $$$ helps pay my rent.  I'd love to attend more games but when I'm an equal distance between PNC Arena and the Crown Coliseum, I split the amount of games between the two teams.  Thanks for your great insight and enlightening me with your wisdom.