Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

SouthernHockeyGirl

Marksmen Player Signing Discussion

1 hour ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Tayler was a great, all around player. 

I think he still IS a player: from www.eliteprospects.com:

2015-16 6.png Fayetteville FireAntz SPHL 56 5 18 23 63 -3 | Playoffs 5 2 1 3 6 2
2016-17 6.png Fayetteville FireAntz SPHL 56 18 42 60 125 21 | Playoffs 2 0 0 0 2 -2
2017-18 14.png Brest France2 3 0 0 0 0 1 |              
  6.png Norfolk Admirals ECHL 2 0 0 0 5 0 |              
  6.png Orlando Solar Bears ECHL 28 6 5 11 26 3 | Playoffs 5 0 0 0 9 -3
2018-19 6.png Orlando Solar Bears ECHL - - - - -   |            

22 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

I think he still IS a player: from www.eliteprospects.com:

2015-16 6.png Fayetteville FireAntz SPHL 56 5 18 23 63 -3 | Playoffs 5 2 1 3 6 2
2016-17 6.png Fayetteville FireAntz SPHL 56 18 42 60 125 21 | Playoffs 2 0 0 0 2 -2
2017-18 14.png Brest France2 3 0 0 0 0 1 |              
  6.png Norfolk Admirals ECHL 2 0 0 0 5 0 |              
  6.png Orlando Solar Bears ECHL 28 6 5 11 26 3 | Playoffs 5 0 0 0 9 -3
2018-19 6.png Orlando Solar Bears ECHL - - - - -   |            

Was a great player in the SPHL 🤔

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Make Marky GM said:

"Taylor Thompson was one of our best. Wish we had him back."

Agreed he was one of the best.  Not only was he one of the better skaters and scorers on the ice he would drop the gloves in a heartbeat.  He didn't take crap from anyone.  Unfortunately for the Marksmen and all of the SPHL his talent level is such that it's likely he will stay at the ECHL level.

Agree! He's not scoring the numbers as he did in the SPHL and is an average player for the E. Who knows, he may drop back down to get more playing time.

Haven't did much research but the city is probably philadelphia.  Only 2 i know played junior hockey there is Ryan Patsch.  But he didn't start his JH career there.  Other one is Anthony Calabrese, he started his there but he was on Huntsville protected list and signed in Germany.  Plus neither are what you label a veteran in the SPHL.  Unless he just means not a rookie in the league.

1 minute ago, Make Marky GM said:

Patsch was with the Marksmen for 16 games last year. While here he shared the enforcer roll with Drobot.  Not a bad player from what I remember,  I won't do any research on this one either because of the "veteran" clue.  Don't know if it's veteran as in 224 games or not a rookie.  I've never heard that Philadelphia or any city for that matter is known for phones but I'll take your word for it. 

Philadelphia was where the phone was first displayed to the public by Alexander Graham Bell.  I'm not positive thats the answer but most likely.  But my players I picked are wrong I believe.  Rapidfire I think has the right answer but I'll let him post it.  He guessed it.  😲

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

Philadelphia was where the phone was first displayed to the public by Alexander Graham Bell.  I'm not positive thats the answer but most likely.  But my players I picked are wrong I believe.  Rapidfire I think has the right answer but I'll let him post it.  He guessed it.  😲

Another possibility is Brantford, Ontario ( where Bell actually invented the telephone). I know Kyle McNeil played Junior hockey there, obviously its not him but if someone had the inclination to scour the rosters the answer may be found there.

• Like 1

I'm gonna wait til Friday when its announced, then again I could be wrong, but I have a good guess ....Ill let others guess until then.

1 hour ago, Make Marky GM said:

On facebook I saw a couple of guesses of Troy Vance. I have no idea.

I think there are only two possible choices.....and there are three key things that make me bounce between the two.....

1. Silhouette is a lefty, but that isn't always true (ex. Bennett's silhouette).

2. A hint is "SPHL vet", which doesn't only mean more than 224 gp; one has played for two teams in the SPHL

3. It says "new player" in FB hint. One of the two is new to Fay, the other not so much.

Neither of my choices are over 224....but only one of the 2 have played for multiple teams in their sphl career, thus far.

• Like 1

I was gonna wait, but I figured I'd go ahead with my "educated guess" by "process of elimination"

On 8/22/2018 at 6:48 PM, RapidFire19 said:

I'm gonna wait til Friday when its announced, then again I could be wrong, but I have a good guess ....Ill let others guess until then.

By doing this now, no one should think I just shared my guess with the announcement on Friday.....making it look as if I didn't guess at all and took credit.

On 8/22/2018 at 8:20 PM, RapidFire19 said:

I think there are only two possible choices.....and there are three key things that make me bounce between the two.....

1. Silhouette is a lefty, but that isn't always true (ex. Bennett's silhouette).

2. A hint is "SPHL vet", which doesn't only mean more than 224 gp; one has played for two teams in the SPHL

3. It says "new player" in FB hint. One of the two is new to Fay, the other not so much.

Neither of my choices are over 224....but only one of the 2 have played for multiple teams in their sphl career, thus far.

I still hold these 3 key things for my guess, but the silhouette isn't as much a factor. After making this comment yesterday I did some detective work to come to a final answer. There are actually 4 possible names for the hints given......thanks Greg.

On 8/22/2018 at 5:58 PM, Greg81102 said:

Philadelphia was where the phone was first displayed to the public by Alexander Graham Bell. 

Philadelphia might be correct, thanks again Greg.

There are 4 players who has played in juniors in Philadelphia.....they are....

1. (F) Ryan Patsch

2. (D) Ben Bauer 

3. (D) Anthony Calabrese

4. (D) Troy Vance

On 8/22/2018 at 6:19 PM, vicvegas said:

Another possibility is Brantford, Ontario ( where Bell actually invented the telephone). I know Kyle McNeil played Junior hockey there, obviously its not him but if someone had the inclination to scour the rosters the answer may be found there.

I checked McNeil's Eliteprospects and Hockeydb stat pages....he didnt play for any Brantford teams. His first "juniors" team was the "Burlington Cougars", who play in Burlington, ON. So Brantford still wouldn't be the answer they were looking for.

On 8/22/2018 at 6:59 PM, Make Marky GM said:

On facebook I saw a couple of guesses of Troy Vance. I have no idea.

Sounds like good guessing.

With the hints on FB and Twitter given, Vance was one of my final 2 also.......

(D) Anthony Calabrese is on Huntsville's protected list and has signed to play overseas in Germany. With that being said....

Hint #1. The announcement itself said, "New Player Signing"......that alone cancels out Bauer and Patsch since they both played for Fayetteville last season. [(Ex. Bennett signing)(announced as "started career in FAY")].

Hint #2. There is a hint that favors Patsch, and not Vance, so for the benefit of the doubt Ill leave him in the running. That is the "SPHL Vet" hint.....there is a hidden meaning there, it doesn't have to mean "more than 224 games played". Neither Patsch nor Vance are over 224. Since it specifies "SPHL" it could mean, "a player that has played for more than one team in his career in that league (Ex. "FHL Vet", "ECHL Vet"). Patsch played for Evansville and Fayetteville. Though Vance has only played for Pensacola in this league, but he has ECHL experience.

Hint #3. This hint was, "started juniors in a town known for phones". This answer was Philadelphia. All 4 choices did play in Philadelphia, but only one "started" his juniors level in Philadelphia.

At this point 2 possible players are left, Patsch and Vance. Last night, I googled the juniors leagues that both guys played in. Patsch started juniors in the QMJHL, which is in Quebec, Canada. While Vance started in the EmJHL, which is in the US; and in that same year he was in the EJHL (also US), and the QMJHL (Canada) as well.......and his team(s) in the US leagues were the Philadelphia Revolution. 

(bonus hint : this player is in his 20's). All 4 choices are between the ages 25-27.

Final Answer : (D) Troy Vance

30 minutes ago, RapidFire19 said:

I checked McNeil's Eliteprospects and Hockeydb stat pages....he didnt play for any Brantford teams. His first "juniors" team was the "Burlington Cougars", who play in Burlington, ON. So Brantford still wouldn't be the answer they were looking for.

May want to check again, according to his elite prospects page he played for the Brantford Blast the 2010-11 season. I didn't say he started there as I said it is obviously not him, I was just pointing out that Philly isn't the only location with a connection to the telephone and Junior hockey with atleast some alumni in the SPHL.

12 minutes ago, vicvegas said:

May want to check again, according to his elite prospects page he played for the Brantford Blast the 2010-11 season. I didn't say he started there as I said it is obviously not him, I was just pointing out that Philly isn't the only location with a connection to the telephone and Junior hockey with atleast some alumni in the SPHL.

Looks like we were both wrong on this.....Brantford Blast (that McNeil played for) isn't a "juniors" league. 

Hint said, "started juniors in a town known for phones".

This may be a bit off from the current guessing of new players, but I want to go back to topic of enforcers.  I noticed that Dennis Sicard has yet to sign with Macon for the season.  He has always played hard against us, is not afraid to drop the gloves, and plays regular shifts.  Just a thought.

1 minute ago, RapidFire19 said:

Looks like we were both wrong on this.....Brantford Blast (that McNeil played for) isn't a "juniors" league. 

Yeah, I actually just checked the average players age and realized that lol.

7 minutes ago, pitch01 said:

This may be a bit off from the current guessing of new players, but I want to go back to topic of enforcers.  I noticed that Dennis Sicard has yet to sign with Macon for the season.  He has always played hard against us, is not afraid to drop the gloves, and plays regular shifts.  Just a thought.

Last I heard, he had surgery in off-season and was recovering before he decided on what he wanted to do. Haven't heard anything recently.

2 minutes ago, vicvegas said:

Yeah, I actually just checked the average players age and realized that lol.

:thumbsup2:

Thanks for the update on Sicard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pitch01 said:

Thanks for the update on Sicard. 

You're welcome.

2 hours ago, pitch01 said:

On second thought.....I double checked Sicard's "games played" for vet status. We couldn't sign Sicard if we wanted. 

Sicard = 513

Hauswirth = 468

As you see having Hauswirth and Sicard would put us beyond the 900 gp limit for vets.

I had not considered that fact.  Oh well.

On 8/22/2018 at 6:19 PM, vicvegas said:

I see you were right. Sorry for cancelling your town choice....I thought Nails was the only sphl'r who played there. 

On 8/23/2018 at 3:35 PM, RapidFire19 said:

I was gonna wait, but I figured I'd go ahead with my "educated guess" by "process of elimination"

By doing this now, no one should think I just shared my guess with the announcement on Friday.....making it look as if I didn't guess at all and took credit.

I still hold these 3 key things for my guess, but the silhouette isn't as much a factor. After making this comment yesterday I did some detective work to come to a final answer. There are actually 4 possible names for the hints given......thanks Greg.

Philadelphia might be correct, thanks again Greg.

There are 4 players who has played in juniors in Philadelphia.....they are....

1. (F) Ryan Patsch

2. (D) Ben Bauer 

3. (D) Anthony Calabrese

4. (D) Troy Vance

Sounds like good guessing.

With the hints on FB and Twitter given, Vance was one of my final 2 also.......

(D) Anthony Calabrese is on Huntsville's protected list and has signed to play overseas in Germany. With that being said....

Hint #1. The announcement itself said, "New Player Signing"......that alone cancels out Bauer and Patsch since they both played for Fayetteville last season. [(Ex. Bennett signing)(announced as "started career in FAY")].

Hint #2. There is a hint that favors Patsch, and not Vance, so for the benefit of the doubt Ill leave him in the running. That is the "SPHL Vet" hint.....there is a hidden meaning there, it doesn't have to mean "more than 224 games played". Neither Patsch nor Vance are over 224. Since it specifies "SPHL" it could mean, "a player that has played for more than one team in his career in that league (Ex. "FHL Vet", "ECHL Vet"). Patsch played for Evansville and Fayetteville. Though Vance has only played for Pensacola in this league, but he has ECHL experience.

Hint #3. This hint was, "started juniors in a town known for phones". This answer was Philadelphia. All 4 choices did play in Philadelphia, but only one "started" his juniors level in Philadelphia.

At this point 2 possible players are left, Patsch and Vance. Last night, I googled the juniors leagues that both guys played in. Patsch started juniors in the QMJHL, which is in Quebec, Canada. While Vance started in the EmJHL, which is in the US; and in that same year he was in the EJHL (also US), and the QMJHL (Canada) as well.......and his team(s) in the US leagues were the Philadelphia Revolution. 

(bonus hint : this player is in his 20's). All 4 choices are between the ages 25-27.

Final Answer : (D) Troy Vance

Didn't think of looking at David. Once I saw Vance fit the description, based on hints given, I didnt look any further.....

That's who I was picking also. If so, very good pick up. A big body d-man who can score.