Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

SouthernHockeyGirl

Marksmen Player Signing Discussion

1 minute ago, 72Vette said:

That's who I was picking also. If so, very good pick up. A big body d-man who can score.

It was David Mazurek.....rookie forward played in Pensacola last year.

I would have never got it.  I couldn't have picked him out of a team of players.  Not familiar with him.

39 minutes ago, Make Marky GM said:

Nice going vicvegas you tried to steer us in the right direction. I was just too lazy to do the research.  Chalk one up for Shawn - he got one over on us. I did have my hopes up for Vance though.

Same here.....Vance is good player.

2 hours ago, Make Marky GM said:

Nice going vicvegas you tried to steer us in the right direction. I was just too lazy to do the research.  Chalk one up for Shawn - he got one over on us. I did have my hopes up for Vance though.

I apparently looked at him as a possibility (I know this because when I started to Google him his elite prospects page came up in my browser history) and figured that 25 games didn't qualify as a veteran even by the most generous definition. I also looked at Justin Stevens but he only had 7 games in the SPHL. Every other Brantford alumni with SPHL experience either started somewhere else and later moved to Brantford, had already signed for this season or was outside the "in his 20's" window so I had basically assumed everyone else was right and it wad someone who started in Philadelphia.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vicvegas said:

I apparently looked at him as a possibility (I know this because when I started to Google him his elite prospects page came up in my browser history) and figured that 25 games didn't qualify as a veteran even by the most generous definition. I also looked at Justin Stevens but he only had 7 games in the SPHL. Every other Brantford alumni with SPHL experience either started somewhere else and later moved to Brantford, had already signed for this season or was outside the "in his 20's" window so I had basically assumed everyone else was right and it wad someone who started in Philadelphia.

Good job vicvegas.

I think that there was one hint that was incorrectly used....."SPHL vet", Mazurek is not. I think the office didn't want to use the term, "rookie", since he had gametime under his belt. However, it did make Vance the wrong choice.

The hints definitely didn't narrow the guesses down as previous ones. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 11:01 AM, Make Marky GM said:

Twitter:  It's Teaser Time! This silhouette, who is a male that plays hockey, once scored a goal against future Marksmen teammate @Jasonpooch...but lost 7-4. #FearTheFox🦊

Facebook:Activate your brainpower early this week - it's teaser time! This returning player is familiar with 14 percent of the wonders of the world, has 14 career playoff points, and had 14 PIMs in 2013. Happy guessing!

Easy one. I'll give more clues instead of the answer.  The game in question was played on Nov. 2, 2017. He also had 2 assists in the game. Future teammate Michael Casale had a goal for the other team.  This returning player scored his one goal as a Marksmen when he crossed the blue line and attempted to send the puck around the boards to the back of the net.  The goalie for KNX left the crease in anticipation of the puck going behind the net.   At about the blue line the puck hit one of the trick spots on the Crown boards and took about a 45 degree turn and headed directly for the net.  The goalie couldn't reverse course in time and the puck settled into the net inside the post for a goal that helped the Marksmen beat KNX 6-4 on Mar. 16, 2018 

This? 🤔 (Cameraman could of done better.....but any how)

2 hours ago, Make Marky GM said:

I think Thomas Pope's twitter account gives the name of the Friday announcement.  Looks like a pretty good signing.

His eliteprospects stat page has been updated.....

22 minutes ago, Make Marky GM said:

We are down to the end of the protected list.  I'd like to see both Jeke and Palmer return (if they are the type of locker room guys Kallechy is looking for).  Also, maybe we can trade the rights for Patterson to get the proverbial future considerations. I'm also curious to see where Flaherty, Russell, Bauer and Doyle wind up.  I'm no scout but I think all 4 can make a contribution in the SP.

Idk if we will have any trades this off-season, then again, they could wait til Sept. to announce them. I would hope so though.....hmm, one trade announced throughout the league this far in the off-season? That's different. I, personally, didnt like Jeke....gave up to many fastbreaks the other way (some leading to goals), let the puck out the offensive zone way to often......he is the one I'd wanna trade.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Make Marky GM said:

My guess for the Friday announcement is Derek Makimaa--  if right I owe credit to a guesser on facebook for steering me toward Salem St.  If wrong it's all his fault.🤒

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/240432/derek-makimaa

Who did "facebook guesser" guess? 

44 minutes ago, Make Marky GM said:

His teammate Brody Heleno.  Clues on facebook were---"One last teaser for the week! Tomorrow's player will have plenty of familiar faces in Training Camp from the last four years, and is familiar with wearing the orange and black."

Twitter clues:It's Teaser Time! This player spent a year around Elite company, and found the Bay after a childhood near some really great lakes. Who is this?!

Makimaa grew up an hour from Detroit (Great Lakes) -- made his way to Bay State Breakers in the USPHL Elite league.

Decided to check Brody......looks like most of the hints are directed to him as well, except for the "elite" hint. 

Brody - Grew up in Mississauga, ON (Lake Ontario). No signs of "Elite".....but Salem is near Cape Cod Bay.....

Derek - Every hint checks out as you mentioned, did play in USPHL ELITE...

MGM, I think the "elite" hint is the difference. I believe you might be right.