Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Future

What if the SPHL and FHL merge

if the SPHL and FHL merge what FHL teams would be in the league 

On 10/9/2018 at 7:42 AM, Future said:

Winston Salem is the only team they could take that wouldn't weaken the league. But Barry Soskin owns not only WS but also Danville & Port Huron, and he'd surely want all 3 admitted as part of merger. Port Huron doesn't make geographic sense, and Danville only drew 1014 last year, not close to SPHL break even.

Summary: I don't see this happening at all, and it shouldn't. The SPHL is undeniably a better league than the Fed: they're both 'A' leagues in name only, it's a night and day difference in quality of the operation. The SPHL doesn't stand to gain anything by taking on it's far weaker cousin.

On 10/9/2018 at 7:42 AM, Future said:

None, only one i think would give a look at is WS.  But they would need to expand their seating.  They are the only ones who would come anywhere close to the attendance needed to survive in the SPHL and still don't think thats enough.  All other teams are out of the SPHL footprint and would make no sense for the SPHL.

21 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

None, only one i think would give a look at is WS. ... All other teams are out of the SPHL footprint and would make no sense for the SPHL.

The same thing was said by SPHL fans before Peoria & Bloomington were added.  :huh:

We've had numerous threads on this topic regarding SPHL expansion, involving defunct teams, ECHL teams moving down a level, and F(P)HL teams coming up to the SPHL. Most recent post in the SPHL expansion 2018-2019 thread 

Posted March 14 by @AfghanPiehole "Winston Salem would be a great fit but I'm not sure how a Barry Soskin owned team would be very welcome in the SPHL.  I think it's worth a try and they'd fit in perfectly with Roanoke and Fayetteville as geographic rivals.  I know we used to have a really 'friendly' rivalry with Winston Salem in the past."  
Edited by PlannedObsolescence
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

The same thing was said by SPHL fans before Peoria & Bloomington were added.  :huh:

Only one that has enough seats is Elmira around 3,874.  They are over 1200 miles away from Pensacola and estimated 18 hours and 21 minutes.  I think its pretty safe to say they won't be in our league anytime soon.😂

1 hour ago, JMC-STL said:

Bloomington went up in smoke quickly and Peoria didn't have an average attendance of 750 in their previous league. Peoria was a geographic reach but great business sense. FHL teams aren't a good investment on either front.

The biggest issue IMO is that half the league is owned by Barry Soskin, and my understanding is he's persona non grata in the SPHL (and probably most other reputable hockey leagues lol). Winston-Salem is probably his first genuine success since he set up shop in Toledo at the dawn of the ECHL, but a lot of that is down to a front office that actually knows what the hell they're doing.

On 10/11/2018 at 3:37 PM, Theoriginalalex said:

Bloomington went up in smoke quickly ...

I thought it was the CHL's Bloomington Blaze that went up in smoke.  The Bloomington Thunder simply derailed at the first curve.  ;)

• Haha 1