Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Greg81102

Most Awkward WDBJ7 Interview

LMAO, has to be one of the most awkward interviews i've ever seen.  Colin Murray is saying to himself he didn't have enough coffee to get me through this interview.  He was being modest about that first playoff goal he scored because he didn't have a clue what game you were showing he scored in because it definately wasn't the one he was expecting to be telling everyone about  😂😂😂 AWKWARD!!!

https://www.wdbj7.com/video/?vid=497687671

I think WDBJ 7 is the best local news and most of their stuff is top notch. However, there coverage of hockey is generally terrible. They usually report on all the games but they only have footage from maybe the first period, get players names wrong, or in this case, show the wrong footage. I don't understand why they will send reporters to the ends of the earth to cover a Virginia Tech sporting event but think of the local hockey team as an after thought. I will say that I was impressed that they had a segment about Bronner being traded but I really wish they would step up their game and cover the Dawgs a little better.

15 minutes ago, Canucks13 said:

I think WDBJ 7 is the best local news and most of their stuff is top notch. However, there coverage of hockey is generally terrible. They usually report on all the games but they only have footage from maybe the first period, get players names wrong, or in this case, show the wrong footage. I don't understand why they will send reporters to the ends of the earth to cover a Virginia Tech sporting event but think of the local hockey team as an after thought. I will say that I was impressed that they had a segment about Bronner being traded but I really wish they would step up their game and cover the Dawgs a little better.

I actually think WDBJ7 is the best of the local stations.  Their problem is they only have two full-time sports people - Travis Wells and Victoria Wood, who is 6 months into the job. That spreads them really thin in ability to cover sports in general.  Still,, last year Zac Glover (who has left the station) actually went on the bus trip to Fayetteville to cover parents weekend and did a great job with the story. . I saw Travis doing 4-5 interviews the opening day of practice, but they didn't even air sports that night because of the local flooding.  A saw a bit on Cody last night5 so they are probably just trying to work it in as they can.

Since they have added the 10:00 news on WZBJ, the deadline to get footage shot and edited makes it tough to get anything but the 1st period.  

Overall, it's a tough balance for them.

41 minutes ago, Roanokehockey said:

I actually think WDBJ7 is the best of the local stations.  Their problem is they only have two full-time sports people - Travis Wells and Victoria Wood, who is 6 months into the job. That spreads them really thin in ability to cover sports in general.  Still,, last year Zac Glover (who has left the station) actually went on the bus trip to Fayetteville to cover parents weekend and did a great job with the story. . I saw Travis doing 4-5 interviews the opening day of practice, but they didn't even air sports that night because of the local flooding.  A saw a bit on Cody last night5 so they are probably just trying to work it in as they can.

Since they have added the 10:00 news on WZBJ, the deadline to get footage shot and edited makes it tough to get anything but the 1st period.  

Overall, it's a tough balance for them.

Oh wow, I didn't realize they only had two sports people (I retract my previous complaint, haha!). That would make it tough! I really enjoyed the report on the bus trip to Fayetteville last year and I hope they do more stories like that. I really don't feel like the fans know the players. I don't mean that I want to be friends with the players I just mean that I would like to see more player interviews and such to get to know the players personalities, interests, etc. It seems like we will be getting that more with the riding with the dawgs segments which I think is a really cool idea and can't wait for the first installment.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Canucks13 said:

Oh wow, I didn't realize they only had two sports people (I retract my previous complaint, haha!). That would make it tough! I really enjoyed the report on the bus trip to Fayetteville last year and I hope they do more stories like that. I really don't feel like the fans know the players. I don't mean that I want to be friends with the players I just mean that I would like to see more player interviews and such to get to know the players personalities, interests, etc. It seems like we will be getting that more with the riding with the dawgs segments which I think is a really cool idea and can't wait for the first installment.

Brian Gardner said he was doing a new thing this year with Sponsor Haley Toyota and driving around asking them interview like questions.  Said he had taped the first one with Steve Mele.  This is the first year since our opening season that our roster overhaul is huge.  Got a lot of new guys nobody knows anything about.