Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Greg81102

GDT Knoxville @ Roanoke 10/20/18 7:05 et

Home opener starting at 7:05 against the Knoxville Ice Bears.  Knoxville signed Jacob Caffrey as an EBUG for tonight's game.  Come out and support our Dawgs!!!

Gameday Central Notes

25 minutes ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

Great win tonight, everyone stayed composed even when down 2.

Agreed, everyone played a good game and saw no give up when they went down.  Guyon is amazing to watch.  He could have easily had a hat trick to go with his 3 assists.  Him and Dillan Fox together is going to be a great duo.  That ot goal was impressive with the pass from Guyon and the moves and goal by Fox. Very fun game.  Thought the defense got a lot better as the game went on.  Being young and seeing them play toward the end of the game gives me hope they can get it together pretty quickly at the beginning of the season.  I was happy by the full effort of the team.  Should be an exciting season!

Nice to actually witness a win. I live 85 miles away so I only make it a few times per season. The Dawgs were 1-7 all-time in games I attended.

Now onto the game: respected the energy of the 1st, but I was worried after 20 because the Bears were a much better team, passing the puck at will in the offensive zone. Bremmer must have said something in that locker room because the Dawgs settled down and looked like they had an actual system, and were better over the last 40+. I had a good feeling heading into OT that the Dawgs' speed on the rush was going to be a factor.

A minor topic: what happened with our game ops? Visitors almost missing the anthem, Zamboni still on the ice as players are trying to re-enter, and the show clock having a mind of its own on multiple occasions.

4 minutes ago, Theoriginalalex said:

Nice to actually witness a win. I live 85 miles away so I only make it a few times per season. The Dawgs were 1-7 all-time in games I attended.

Now onto the game: respected the energy of the 1st, but I was worried after 20 because the Bears were a much better team, passing the puck at will in the offensive zone. Bremmer must have said something in that locker room because the Dawgs settled down and looked like they had an actual system, and were better over the last 40+. I had a good feeling heading into OT that the Dawgs' speed on the rush was going to be a factor.

A minor topic: what happened with our game ops? Visitors almost missing the anthem, Zamboni still on the ice as players are trying to re-enter, and the show clock having a mind of its own on multiple occasions.

Something was malfunctioning with the zamboni and it was dropping big chunks of ice everywhere.  So he was going back over the spots that dropped it trying to pick up the chunks again.  Not sure what was going on but in the 2nd intermission it wasn't holding the ice.  Same reason there was so many guys out there with shovels scooping the ice up the zamboni dropped.  About the clock, i'm not sure if it was who was running the clock or the clock itself.  All I can say is it was a different set up with how they use to show the clock and the penalties.

I like the way the clock looked last night, much easier to see than in the past.

4 hours ago, Onetimer said:

I like the way the clock looked last night, much easier to see than in the past.

I did too.  I just didn't like how penalties didn't move half the night or why the penalties part was so small and was only big enough for one penalty.  Hopefully they figure out a fix before next game.

Speaking of the scoreboard, why did the put it up so high compared to previous seasons. I like it a little lower myself.

18 minutes ago, PlayaHtr said:

Speaking of the scoreboard, why did the put it up so high compared to previous seasons. I like it a little lower myself.

The new sound system. They eliminated the speakers that used to be above the scoreboard. Now there are speakers above each section.

What was the black box looking thing with the plastic backing that they installed on the walkway right above the players when they walk out?  Only thing i can think of is maybe a box with camera in it to see the players come out.  But not sure.  Asked a few people around it and a couple who worked there but nobody knew.

3 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

What was the black box looking thing with the plastic backing that they installed on the walkway right above the players when they walk out?  Only thing i can think of is maybe a box with camera in it to see the players come out.  But not sure.  Asked a few people around it and a couple who worked there but nobody knew.

My only thought is maybe something to do with the laser system on the zamboni.  Not sure though 

6 hours ago, Onetimer said:

So much better than last year's busy backround. Solid colors is the way to do.

2 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

the penalties part was so small and was only big enough for one penalty.

I thought this too, but, as after looking at it for a bit, it actually looked like it was spaced to allow 2 penalties displayed side-by-side rather than stacked. (Nobody breaks down jumbotron graphics like we do at SPHL Forums!)

1 hour ago, Greg81102 said:

Wait...I was standing next to that box right before warm ups started, and a guy asked me if I knew what it did. Did we run into each other?

Edited by Theoriginalalex

1 hour ago, Theoriginalalex said:

So much better than last year's busy backround. Solid colors is the way to do.

I thought this too, but, as after looking at it for a bit, it actually looked like it was spaced to allow 2 penalties displayed side-by-side rather than stacked. (Nobody breaks down jumbotron graphics like we do at SPHL Forums!)

Wait...I was standing next to that box right before warm ups started, and a guy asked me if I knew what it did. Did we run into each other?

Nope, it was later in the night.  Guess lots of people were wondering what it was.  I missed about all the warmups waiting in line for yappy hour.  😂. I was wearing a camouflaged RYD's hat and a UVA pullover.

What an exciting game! I was really proud of the team fighting back from two down. Guyon out skated the whole Knoxville team a couple times! That was exciting, too bad he didn't get any goals out of it. I really liked the effort that some of the new guys had too. I am pretty happy with the team right now.

I am still new to hockey. I pretty much only watch the Dawgs and keep up with the SPHL. I haven't latched onto an NHL team yet. I love the game though, so that is only a matter of time. There is one thing that has troubled me since Bremner took over though. It seems like we don't perform well on power plays. Knoxville looked very composed and in control on their power plays, where as we just seem to be scrambling around. It seems like Ftorek had the team better prepared for power plays. I hope they can get that sorted out.

I noticed the new scoreboard look too. I like it a lot better than last year. I have wondered why they don't use that small scoreboard they installed late last year as well? I would think it would be easier for the players to look at that one to see the time rather than look way up at the one above the ice.

I can't wait to get back to the Berglund Center Friday and watch them take on Fayetteville! 

5 hours ago, FightingGobbler said:

What an exciting game! I was really proud of the team fighting back from two down. Guyon out skated the whole Knoxville team a couple times! That was exciting, too bad he didn't get any goals out of it. I really liked the effort that some of the new guys had too. I am pretty happy with the team right now.

I am still new to hockey. I pretty much only watch the Dawgs and keep up with the SPHL. I haven't latched onto an NHL team yet. I love the game though, so that is only a matter of time. There is one thing that has troubled me since Bremner took over though. It seems like we don't perform well on power plays. Knoxville looked very composed and in control on their power plays, where as we just seem to be scrambling around. It seems like Ftorek had the team better prepared for power plays. I hope they can get that sorted out.

I noticed the new scoreboard look too. I like it a lot better than last year. I have wondered why they don't use that small scoreboard they installed late last year as well? I would think it would be easier for the players to look at that one to see the time rather than look way up at the one above the ice.

I can't wait to get back to the Berglund Center Friday and watch them take on Fayetteville! 

Hello and thanks for joining into the conversation.  Feel free to discuss or ask questions about anything you would like to.  Always nice to see new hockey fans, especially in Roanoke.  You make some good points.  But i'm opposite of you.  I thought our power play wasn't that bad.  We kept in in the offensive zone and got a few shots.  What looks bad for us has been our penalty kill.  So far we are 62.5% on the penalty kill and last in the league.  We've had quite a few people taking some bad penalties in the first two games.  I do admit I have no clue where a couple of them called on us came from.  But in this league you can expect the phantom penalty nobody ever sees to be called, just like the sometimes bad offsides call.  I thought that Steve Mele penalty was awful call.  Never seen anything that would constitute a roughing penalty.  But my point, so far I think is our penalty kill making the other team's power play look good.  But I can't agree Ftorek made our team look better on anything.  Our team looked terrible on everything playing under Ftorek.  We couldn't pass.  He always tried using the same plays, never switching things up to counter attack someone.  Especially his breakout plays in our own offensive zone.  Back then we always had so many turnovers in own offensive zone.  On the power play and attack we just always dumped and chased the puck down into the offensive zone, which teams mostly get to first and shoot it back down the ice.  Pretty sad but Bremner is about to be our all time winningnest coach.  When Ftorek was coach for almost a year and a half and Bremner has been here for about a half season.  Its a little early to be worrying about anything so far in the year.  Most of our team is new and trying to gel together this year.  You really start to see what your team has around in the month of December.  Every team will have some growing pains.