Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

MacGuy

Ice Flyers have crowd of 7,250 for home-opening game that only lacked win

Ice Flyers have crowd of 7,250 for home-opening game that only lacked win

By Bill Vilona - News Journal

The Pensacola Ice Flyers had a near-sellout crowd, new pregame lights show, and the wow factor from an arena experience.

All they lacked was a night-capping win.

After jumping to a 2-0 lead, the Ice Flyers' defense relented with breakdowns and the Birmingham Bulls skated away with a 3-2 victory, spoiling the finish for a crowd of 7,250 at the Bay Center. 

"Anytime you are in a building as full as it was (Saturday)," said Ice Flyers coach Rod Aldoff, who is beginning his third different stint with the franchise. " Our fans are always loud. It's fun, it's energetic for the players.

"Obviously, I wish we would have had a better result for 'em. but at the end of the day, (players) did work hard, they are a hard working team."

Read more at: https://www.pnj.com/story/sports/2018/10/20/pensacola-ice-flyers-get-near-sellout-7-250-home-opening-game/1718414002/

An Ice Flyers tradition like no other. Nearly sell out the hangar and a loss. Like clockwork. 

Always said that $5 game will bring a whole lot more of people.  Even new ones who think its too expensive for their whole family to attend.  Good way to find some more fans that wouldn't have shown up unless it was that cheap.  Good way to try to hook new fans onto the game.  Pensacola's management does a good job letting their fans know its not all about the money.  Especially making their preseason game for free and opening night for $5.  We use to have a night like that in Roanoke every season and have sell outs of around 9,000 fans.  Make it cheap and they will usually come!

The reason the preseason game is free isn't because it's about letting the people know it's all about money. The reason it's free is actually about saving money. lol If they treat in like a real game, they have to pay rent on it like a real game. That's why you never see it called anything other than a scrimmage.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Geoff said:

The reason the preseason game is free isn't because it's about letting the people know it's all about money. The reason it's free is actually about saving money. lol If they treat in like a real game, they have to pay rent on it like a real game. That's why you never see it called anything other than a scrimmage.

Well thats still better then every other team that had one i'm sure. The one in Roanoke was $8 unless you have season tickets.  Most teams would usually have to pay rent anyways no matter if its a game or scrimmage, I imagine.  Still doesn't change the fact they charged $5 for opening night when a lot of teams biggest crowds are expected that game.

Yes, teams pay for ice time but the way the lease is in Pensacola, it's way cheaper than paying the amount specified for a game. Typically, from my experience, opening night is a decent crowd but not one of the largest simply because it's either fighting HS football or college football. This is the first year the Ice Flyers have done two $5 games without it being $5 Weekend and I'd say the experiment paid off. And if you think it's a sign the team cares more about getting affordable tickets for people than money, you don't understand why the Ice Flyers have continued to do these games. More people = more 50/50, Shirt off his Back, Chuck-a-Puck, and merch sales. More sales = more money.

I figure most teams don't do very cheap night like that because they are basically losing money because either they get nothing from the sale of concessions or its so minimal that it really doesn't make sense for them.  Every lease i'm sure is different for each team, so I don't really know the individual teams circumstances.