Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

MacGuy

Out of Peoria and now in Roanoke, Dion has won over Dawgs fans

Out of Peoria and now in Roanoke, Dion has won over Dawgs fans

By Aaron McFarling - The Times

Oh, how they hated Cody Dion.

Almost all the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs did. When he played for Peoria, Dion was “that guy” — the kind every team in the Southern Professional Hockey League seems to have, the kind who’s looking to mix it up and, if you’re not careful, knock you out with a well-placed fist.

They no longer feel such enmity toward him. All it took was for him to join their team.

“He’s got a good personality,” Roanoke forward Colin Murray said. “You wouldn’t know that playing him. I even told him I hated him playing him. It’s funny. When you’re in the same room, you kind of get to know a guy on a personal level and not so much when you’re trying to kill him in a game.”

Read more at: https://www.roanoke.com/sports/roanoke_rail_yard_dawgs/rail-yard-dawgs-out-of-peoria-and-now-in-roanoke/article_28d6c11b-8462-506e-987b-75e88d487a73.html

• Like 1

I had that exact conversation with Cody Dion. Cody said "you guys hated me" and I said "yes we did Cody but we love you now" and we do.    Great guy and glad we have him here in Roanoke.

Edited by Faye C
  • Like 4

Definately, one of those guys you love to hate on any opposing team but great to have on your own team.  Seems like Dion, Mele, and Murray developing nice relationship on and off the ice and now in the radio studio every week.  Enjoyed them very much last two weeks on Greg Roberts Live.  Even started where you can ask them questions to be answered on the show.  Very enjoyable!!  6:00pm to 6:30pm et every Wednesday evening!

• Like 1

Not many shifts played tonight against Evansville. Maybe Dan was sending a message....and Big Nasty? Give me a break.

30 minutes ago, RYDSPHLFAN said:

Not many shifts played tonight against Evansville. Maybe Dan was sending a message....and Big Nasty? Give me a break.

I'm not sure what was going on.  Maybe was injured?  Not sure why you would set a guy out then go down like we did and then decide to put Dion back in.  But I don't even remember him playing in the 2nd period and not until we fell behind in the 3rd did he make a return.  Was wondering the exact samething.

Another thing was Evansville was playing atleast one down with the suspension then the guy who took the stick to the face never returned #21.  Then the guy who jumped Jordan C. wasn't playing tonight.  I never did count them but maybe he just wanted to keep the fast guys in to wear them down.  That first period was about the fastest period of hockey i've seen with no stoppage for about 10 minutes.

Maybe a minor injury, he sat out the morning skate this morning. It must have been an optional skate only 11 skaters and Caffrey were on the ice and one of the 11 skaters was Quilty.

Edited by vicvegas

I believe Guyon was fighting an injury, too. Did not play much in the 3rd but did get a shift it two in OT.