Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Peoria Blades

SPHL Midwest Division?

This SPHL model of Hockey seems to work well. Most teams if run right can provide their respective cities entertaining professional hockey and not lose money in the process. 

Peoria, was a catalyst that brought Evansville into the fold which had a significant impact on travel time and cost for the Rivermen. Pro hockey was salvaged in the Quad Cities in large part because Peoria was the trail blazer that brought the SPHL brand to the Midwest. Can Peoria pull any more bunnies out of hats (those are called hat tricks right?) and keep the magic going and entice an ownership group to base a team out of St. Charles Mo? 

In addition, whatever the Fort Wayne Komets successful formula is for packing their hockey arena regularly either isn't being employed at Indy or perhaps the Indy Fuel don't have the tradition and history to draw big crowds. In a metro such as Indianapolis there isn't a shortage of options on how to spend ones entertainment dollars. That being said, unless Indy has some huge sponsors, averaging less than 4k in attendance likely means this is not a profitable venture for the investment group. For half the cost the Indy Fuel could operate in the SPHL. The travel would be very manageable and they could move their operation from the red to black without anymore buts in seats than they are currently averaging.

I thought Peoria was going to do SPHL for three years then move to ECHL. Obviously thats not going to happen the SPHL structure makes too much sense. Peoria was able to convince two former Midwest ECHL markets to see it that way too.  

That is all, carry on.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Peoria Blades said:

... Peoria, was a catalyst that brought Evansville into the fold which had a significant impact on travel time and cost for the Rivermen. Pro hockey was salvaged in the Quad Cities in large part because Peoria was the trail blazer that brought the SPHL brand to the Midwest. Can Peoria pull any more bunnies out of hats (those are called hat tricks right?) and keep the magic going and entice an ownership group to base a team out of St. Charles Mo? 

In addition, whatever the Fort Wayne Komets successful formula is for packing their hockey arena regularly either isn't being employed at Indy or perhaps the Indy Fuel don't have the tradition and history to draw big crowds. In a metro such as Indianapolis there isn't a shortage of options on how to spend ones entertainment dollars. That being said, unless Indy has some huge sponsors, averaging less than 4k in attendance likely means this is not a profitable venture for the investment group. For half the cost the Indy Fuel could operate in the SPHL. The travel would be very manageable and they could move their operation from the red to black without anymore buts in seats than they are currently averaging. ...

As a long-long(-long-)time resident of the Metro St. Louis area, I can tell you without hesitation that low minor pro hockey in St. Charles, MO is a pipe dream (close but off the crossbar).  It was tried twice before - most recently by the owners of the then-CHL's Missouri Mavericks ownership for the same sort of regional business base reasons you are proposing - and neither attempt had the legs to power skate.  Just as significantly, junior hockey failed 3 times between 1996 & 2012 to gain popularity in our region   The economic, geographical & social reasons are too numerous to recount here.  Suffice it to say: If it ain't NHL hockey, it won't play to revenue-producing crowds in The Lou.

As for the possibility of an Indy Fuel demotion, the father-son team of Jim and Sean Hallett who own the team have expressed considerable intent to invest in further hockey-related business development in the Indianapolis area.  I see the Fuel ECHL franchise as an important community anchor for the success of that project, with the backing of a Chicago Blackhawks affiliation that has clearly "fueled" the local fanbase (as witnessed by the large number of Hawks jerseys on display at their home games & the continuing popularity of that annoying Hawks-goal-song-which-shall-not-be-named.)  Further & beyond the simple math of yearly attendance numbers @ Indiana Farmers Coliseum, it is noteworthy that the facility only seats 6,800 while the Fuel attendance numbers have been remarkably steady in their 4+ seasons.  So IMO, the Indy Fuel will continue to live on as an ECHL member as long as The Halletts have the resources to invest in it and as long as the Blackhawks organization sees advantage in continuing their affiliation.

One more important note regarding your key premises for an "SPHL Midwest Division": If the long-term success of Fort Wayne hockey was able to be bottled & transported to other Midwest towns, don't you think The Frankes would be operating that bottling line 24/7 and making their new family fortune on the 5-cent deposits?  :hmm:

Great post JMC-STL. I have zero reason to doubt your assertion that low pro won't fly in St. Lou Metro. Which begs the question, why the hell did St. Charles build that arena? who did they peg as being anchor tenants?  

With regards to Indy Fuel the Blackhawks affiliation is about as good of a partnership as one could want due to proximity and popularity. 

Could Dubuque get on board with SPHL? They have a relatively new and very nice 3,500 arena that is currently home to the Fighting Saints of the USHL. How about Kalamazoo, they have to be losing money, sometimes that's OK if ownership has the resources and likes feeling like a big fish in a small pond. 

The arrangement is I'll set 'em up JHC-STL and you shoot 'em down.

Tell the truth though, When Peoria joined in 2013 A) Did you see them being in this league five years later. B) Did you see them in effect be able to recruit  ECHL Evansville and ECHL Quad City?  

My contention of both questions is no. So sometimes it's not unreasonable for the unexpected to happen.

I don't have the insight that JMC has but I can tell you Dubuque is out  unless they can find room for 500 more seats because the SPHL requires 4,000 seats. 

25 minutes ago, vicvegas said:

I don't have the insight that JMC has but I can tell you Dubuque is out  unless they can find room for 500 more seats because the SPHL requires 4,000 seats. 

I could be wrong but i remember reading Pelham Civic Center only has 3,500 seats for hockey. Non hockey events can seat 5,000.

29 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

I could be wrong but i remember reading Pelham Civic Center only has 3,500 seats for hockey. Non hockey events can seat 5,000.

Well it is from Wikipedia, so maybe not 100% accurate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelham_Civic_Center

1 hour ago, Greg81102 said:

I think that number was what it was before they did all of the renovations before last season, I think they said they were adding 1500 more seats. I got the 4000 number from one of the other expansion threads as a reason why Winston-salem  couldn't make the jump yet.

Edited by vicvegas

3 hours ago, Peoria Blades said:

Great post JMC-STL. I have zero reason to doubt your assertion that low pro won't fly in St. Lou Metro. Which begs the question, why the hell did St. Charles build that arena? who did they peg as being anchor tenants?  

With regards to Indy Fuel the Blackhawks affiliation is about as good of a partnership as one could want due to proximity and popularity. 

Could Dubuque get on board with SPHL? They have a relatively new and very nice 3,500 arena that is currently home to the Fighting Saints of the USHL. How about Kalamazoo, they have to be losing money, sometimes that's OK if ownership has the resources and likes feeling like a big fish in a small pond. 

The arrangement is I'll set 'em up JMC-STL and you shoot 'em down.

Tell the truth though, When Peoria joined in 2013 A) Did you see them being in this league five years later. B) Did you see them in effect be able to recruit  ECHL Evansville and ECHL Quad City?  

My contention of both questions is no. So sometimes it's not unreasonable for the unexpected to happen.

It will be my pleasure ...

A better question would be: "Why the hell did St. Charles build that arena in THAT location?!"  But we'll save all that for another rant ... The St. Charles Family Arena was targeted by St. Charles County planners for family-oriented events (concerts, kids shows, graduations in spring, exhibits & conventions). They of course did put in an ice sheet, and managed to snare a UHL franchise to play there for 7 seasons of mixed results.  But they were never considered a true "anchor tenant" by the arena owners, like the Chill became years later after year-round usage of the facility had plummeted.  But the few of us die-hard hockey lovers who followed the Chill all know how that desperate little experiment turned out.  :surrender:

With the Fighting Saints having recently been taken over by former alumni & NHL players/execs, I don't see the city being persuaded to boot that esteemed group out of the Mystique Ice Center in favor of an SPHL franchise.  Nor can I imagine that USHL ownership group abandoning Tier I junior hockey for Single-A pro fortunes.  As for Mystique being expanded to meet some unofficial seating minimum for SPHL hockey, the official seating capacity of 3,079 and the arena layout put it beyond reach of the presumed minimum.  But we do agree on one thing here, Blades: The Mystique is a "very nice" arena, as me 'n Mrs. JMC concluded on our visit there a couple of playoff seasons ago.

As for Peoria's future hockey path when the then-owners joined the SPHL, I refused to buy into the never-settle-for-less-than-the-AHL mindset that many Rivermen fans had adopted.  Another go at the ECHL, maybe, but it seemed to me that ship had sailed as well. On the other hand when Bill Yuill & his CSH International Group took majority ownership, I was convinced that the pro hockey era in Peoria would soon be replaced with junior hockey (based on CSH's other junior holdings plus Yuill's reported issues with pro hockey in Prescott Valley, AZ).  Now that his organization has - as you contend - "recruited" Evansville & Moline to stabilize Peoria's foothold in the SPHL, it does seem that they are in it for a longer haul.  But as long as CSH is in charge, I'd be watching for signs of a fracture in the current northern reaches of the SPHL.  To hijack your final thought ... "sometimes it's not unreasonable for the unexpected to happen" ...  :drama:

Jean Guy Trudel has put his heart and soul into Peoria Hockey. Of course he heads up the Rivermen but he also supports Junior Tier III hockey in the Peoria Mustangs. Peoria is a hockey town. My neighbors have a kid in travel league and they spend endless days and weekends playing and traveling. Peoria has kids coming up from Springfield and over from Bloomington to be part of the Hockey Family in Peoria. 

Point: Peoria loves Hockey.

Point: Peoria loves Jean Guy.

Point: Jean Guy has opportunities to go elsewhere.

Point: Peoria loves hockey, hates getting hurt. AHL to SPHL sounded like a joke. Peoria was a joke their first year in SPHL. SInce then they have been nothing short of dominant. Maybe she is'nt the sexiest team around but, building teams that scrap and fight and win......well wins hearts and minds.

For those that need a refresher course, St. Louis stopped investing in Peoria. Obviously they were pining for a closer location and a shinier digs. Ummm.....Fail.

JMC-STL knows his stuff. I'm of the opinion there is fruit on the vine. There are business leaders and communities that would fit the SPHL model.  From a league standpoint one can't get to big but 12-14 teams that are healthy and make sense geographically would be the goal for an 'A' level "bus league" hockey in my opinion.  

Hockey is HUGE in Chi-town. youth, junior they have NHL and AHL.  Blackhawks are simply put unaffordable entertainment for a family. 

The Village of Hoffman Estates owns Sears Centre, super nice venue seats roughly 9K for hockey, Chicago Metro is huge there is plenty of room at the table for more than two pro leagues. I lived and worked very near where this Arena is and I can tell you being a family man I have Zero interest in spending an hour in the car traversing the Kennedy Expressway to get to Allstate Arena. Having a super nice arena in the back yard of the far Western suburbs is great. I just wish they would get hockey.  Also, no I'm not loading up the car to drive an hour to Rockford (why would anyone want to go to Rockford?).

2 hours ago, Peoria Blades said:

... The Village of Hoffman Estates owns Sears Centre, super nice venue seats roughly 9K for hockey, Chicago Metro is huge there is plenty of room at the table for more than two pro leagues. I lived and worked very near where this Arena is and I can tell you being a family man I have Zero interest in spending an hour in the car traversing the Kennedy Expressway to get to Allstate Arena. Having a super nice arena in the back yard of the far Western suburbs is great. I just wish they would get hockey.  Also, no I'm not loading up the car to drive an hour to Rockford (why would anyone want to go to Rockford?).

Sears Centre has been home to two failed pro hockey teams: The Chicago Hounds of the UHL lasted just one season, before Sears Centre management asked team ownership to agree to 3X lease payments vs. their first year in operation; and the Chicago Express of the ECHL (with the same owner as the Hounds) were also one 'n' done.  Following the second failure of hockey business in the arena in 3 years, city & arena officials made it clear that a minor pro hockey team did not fit into their plans to sustain the facility as a money-making venture.  Unless that condition has changed since 2012 - when me 'n' Mrs. JMC attended one of the Express games in the "super nice arena" (an opinion I do not share with you - it reminded me of the St. Charles Family arena, which is equally spartan & dreary) - I cannot imagine Hoffman Estates or the Spectra-Comcast arena management pursuing/considering a third attempt to make hockey work there.

As for your disdainful closing statement, me 'n' the missus have driven to Rockford from St. Louis for two separate & very enjoyable hockey road trips.  While the town is certainly no metropolis, it has amenities & attractions roughly comparable to the Peoria (with no disrespect intended to either city).  But I can certainly understand why the IceHogs don't get much repeat business from people living in Chicagoland, with the commuting challenges and the cultural divide between the two regions.  These very conditions are what has kept - and will continue to keep - St. Charles, MO from being a fruitful location for minor pro hockey.

P.S. - We've also been to Chicago's United Center for a Blues @ Blackhawks game, and on two separate trips to Allstate Arena for 3 CHI Wolves games.  While the UC is a truly impressive facility, I'll take a pass on ever returning & continue to enjoy the friendlier and more affordable hockey confines out in Rosemont.

On 10/30/2018 at 10:29 PM, Peoria Blades said:

Jean Guy Trudel has put his heart and soul into Peoria Hockey. Of course he heads up the Rivermen but he also supports Junior Tier III hockey in the Peoria Mustangs. Peoria is a hockey town. My neighbors have a kid in travel league and they spend endless days and weekends playing and traveling. Peoria has kids coming up from Springfield and over from Bloomington to be part of the Hockey Family in Peoria. 

Point: Peoria loves Hockey.

Point: Peoria loves Jean Guy.

Point: Jean Guy has opportunities to go elsewhere.

Point: Peoria loves hockey, hates getting hurt. AHL to SPHL sounded like a joke. Peoria was a joke their first year in SPHL. SInce then they have been nothing short of dominant. Maybe she is'nt the sexiest team around but, building teams that scrap and fight and win......well wins hearts and minds.

For those that need a refresher course, St. Louis stopped investing in Peoria. Obviously they were pining for a closer location and a shinier digs. Ummm.....Fail. ...

I agree with most of your Points, Blades.  Your arguments start to falter at: "they have been nothing short of dominant."  Many on this Board - and many sports fans at large - would argue that repetitive failure to win "The Big One" begs the question of what "dominance" means.  :hmm:

As for your "refresher course": Opinions on the "Fail" of the STL Blues-PEO Rivermen divorce vary according to where the opinion-makers live.  I can understand the feelings of betrayal that many Rivermen fans have over the Blues ownership selling off the Peoria AHL franchise to Vancouver, and the subsequent relocation to Utica of all places did nothing but deepen that wound for long-time loyal Peoria hockey fans (who deserve great respect for keeping hockey alive in a small-ish town for 46 years - and counting).  But the facts as they relate to current Blues ownership are seldom considered: (1) They were a new investment group who, on initial evaluation of their hockey holdings, considered the Peoria franchise an asset (which it was) that had more value to another NHL team than to them. (2) The Blues ownership were not "pining for a closer location and a shinier digs" (Rosemont is 130 miles further from St. Louis than Peoria, and the Allstate Arena is far from "shiny"); they were simply bowing to pressure from the NHL BOGs to partner with a particular AHL team, and naïve to think that an affiliation with the Chicago Wolves would result in a tenable business relationship that was good for the success of the NHL team. (3) That naivete on the part of Blues ownership did not change substantially with their new affiliation in San Antonio, but they are slowly catching on.

In the end, Peoria hockey fans are better off with SPHL hockey because they don't have to worry that the future of their team is tied to the immediate whims of the NHL.  Now they just have to worry about the whims of Bill Yuill.  :huh:

10 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

I agree with most of your Points, Blades.  Your arguments start to falter at: "they have been nothing short of dominant."  Many on this Board - and many sports fans at large - would argue that repetitive failure to win "The Big One" begs the question of what "dominance" means.  :hmm:

As for your "refresher course": Opinions on the "Fail" of the STL Blues-PEO Rivermen divorce vary according to where the opinion-makers live.  I can understand the feelings of betrayal that many Rivermen fans have over the Blues ownership selling off the Peoria AHL franchise to Vancouver, and the subsequent relocation to Utica of all places did nothing but deepen that wound for long-time loyal Peoria hockey fans (who deserve great respect for keeping hockey alive in a small-ish town for 46 years - and counting).  But the facts as they relate to current Blues ownership are seldom considered: (1) They were a new investment group who, on initial evaluation of their hockey holdings, considered the Peoria franchise an asset (which it was) that had more value to another NHL team than to them. (2) The Blues ownership were not "pining for a closer location and a shinier digs" (Rosemont is 130 miles further from St. Louis than Peoria, and the Allstate Arena is far from "shiny"); they were simply bowing to pressure from the NHL BOGs to partner with a particular AHL team, and naïve to think that an affiliation with the Chicago Wolves would result in a tenable business relationship that was good for the success of the NHL team. (3) That naivete on the part of Blues ownership did not change substantially with their new affiliation in San Antonio, but they are slowly catching on.

In the end, Peoria hockey fans are better off with SPHL hockey because they don't have to worry that the future of their team is tied to the immediate whims of the NHL.  Now they just have to worry about the whims of Bill Yuill.  :huh:

We will agree with dominance in the regular season.  Which looks like will happen again this year when they play expansion QC 16 times and struggling Evansville 13 times. 29 out of your 56 games.  So even the regular season champions isn't fair but something every team has to live with.  More of a toss up on how well the teams you play the most are in that giving year.  

On 11/4/2018 at 9:30 PM, JMC-STL said:

Sears Centre has been home to two failed pro hockey teams: The Chicago Hounds of the UHL lasted just one season, before Sears Centre management asked team ownership to agree to 3X lease payments vs. their first year in operation; and the Chicago Express of the ECHL (with the same owner as the Hounds) were also one 'n' done.  Following the second failure of hockey business in the arena in 3 years, city & arena officials made it clear that a minor pro hockey team did not fit into their plans to sustain the facility as a money-making venture.  Unless that condition has changed since 2012 - when me 'n' Mrs. JMC attended one of the Express games in the "super nice arena" (an opinion I do not share with you - it reminded me of the St. Charles Family arena, which is equally spartan & dreary) - I cannot imagine Hoffman Estates or the Spectra-Comcast arena management pursuing/considering a third attempt to make hockey work there.

As for your disdainful closing statement, me 'n' the missus have driven to Rockford from St. Louis for two separate & very enjoyable hockey road trips.  While the town is certainly no metropolis, it has amenities & attractions roughly comparable to the Peoria (with no disrespect intended to either city).  But I can certainly understand why the IceHogs don't get much repeat business from people living in Chicagoland, with the commuting challenges and the cultural divide between the two regions.  These very conditions are what has kept - and will continue to keep - St. Charles, MO from being a fruitful location for minor pro hockey.

P.S. - We've also been to Chicago's United Center for a Blues @ Blackhawks game, and on two separate trips to Allstate Arena for 3 CHI Wolves games.  While the UC is a truly impressive facility, I'll take a pass on ever returning & continue to enjoy the friendlier and more affordable hockey confines out in Rosemont.

As usual very thoughtful and accurate points here. It would appear that Hoffman Estates really ins't interested in Hockey.  Guess that Ice plant was build for Disney on Ice and the Ice capades.

On 11/5/2018 at 8:54 AM, JMC-STL said:

I mis-spoke, Vancouver became the owner of the Rivermen and were bent on getting the AAA club to Abbotsford, Vancouver wanted their AAA club close to home, they declined any and all efforts at any tenant deal at the Peoria CC. Problem with Abbotsford is there was already a tenant at the Abbotsford Centre  (another club's AAA team don't remember the details) well Vancouver was not sucsseful at relocating there newly aquired Rivermen and really were up doodie creak. In an 11th hour move of desperation (Vancouver too prideful to come crawling back to Peoria or Peoria being too pissed off) Vancouver placed the newly acquired Rivermen in an Ancient dumpy 3,800 seat Utica Auditorium. Yup, AHL hockey being played in a venue barely suitable for major junior hockey. So Vancouver wanted their new team closer and these dumb arrogant fools ended up setting up shop in a dump 3000 miles form Vancouver.  I may have muddled up some of the details but is this about right JMC?

So yes initionally Peoria was pissed at St. Louis. But after the Acquisition of the club by Vancouver people in Peoria were dumbfounded that the reason they were given for Vancouver to move the team was to get its players close to the NHL team.....makes sense. But then you end up putting that same team 1000 miles farther away than they already were wtf?

Edited by Peoria Blades

Also, there are different measures and perspectives of what is deemed successful or dominant. People in Peoria very much aspire to reach the level of Buffalo Bills success, I feel this is the season we are one championship series loss of matching the mighty Bills. Now, success like that doesn't just happen you gotta really try to be that good and that bad at the same time🤣

FIFY ... but I'll leave it to The Perfesser to correct your spelling ...

I mis-spoke, Vancouver became the owner of the Rivermen and were bent on getting the AAA club to Abbotsford, Vancouver wanted their AAA club close to home, they declined any and all efforts at any tenant deal at the Peoria CC. Problem with Abbotsford is there was already a tenant at the Abbotsford Centre  (the Abbotsford Heat - the AHL affiliate of the Calgary Flames - who moved to Glens Falls, NY, a year later) well Vancouver was not sucsseful at relocating there newly aquired Rivermen and really were up doodie creak. In an 11th hour move of desperation (Vancouver to prideful to come crawling back to Peoria or Peoria being to pissed off) Vancouver placed the newly acquired Rivermen in the quaint & nearly historic 3,800 (+60) seat Utica Auditorium. Yup, AHL hockey being played in a venue recently set the AHL record for most consecutive sellouts @ 122 games (and counting). So Vancouver wanted their new team closer and these dumb arrogant fools ended up setting up shop 2,293 miles as the puck flies from Vancouver.  I may have muddled up some of the details but is this about right JMC?

13 hours ago, Peoria Blades said:

... It would appear that Hoffman Estates really ins't interested in Hockey.  Guess that Ice plant was build for Disney on Ice and the Ice capades.

Don't forget the pit bikes.

I'm sorry I thought this was a board to convey thoughts and opinions. I was unaware that this was part of my Doctoral Dissertation. I have admired JMC from afar. Upclose some of the luster has been lost.

If this is a grammatical square dance then fu*k off. I'm pretty sure I have more education than 90% of the posters here.  Keep it classy and sassy JMC. (Smug Pri*k). enjoy basking in the glow of your own awesome experiences and exceptionally awesome comments. Not to mention your ability to read the future which was what captivated me most. 

Enjoy your time on the board, you do a good job no doubt it is very important to you.  Keep up the good work. I will continue to admire from afar.

Edited by Peoria Blades
grammer

JMC if I have offended you, my appologies. This would be a great time to get the board up to speed on you education level and your level of hockey involvment.  For all I know you are a former NHLer.....ummm no. you write to well.So anyway tell us a bit about yourself.

Edited by Peoria Blades

I think there was a typo in my last post. I could correct it but you relish asserting your intelligence so I will let you do what you enjoy most. I just thought you would be more fun to talk to.

When all of my teams have failed and my last resort at comfort is a A  board  after I have had 10 beers. I can see how upsetting it can be to use the incorrect to. the correct too is used less than 1% in our daily dialog. Not judging if you get a life, I'm in need of one too or at least an upgrade.

7 hours ago, Peoria Blades said:

I'm sorry I thought this was a board to convey thoughts and opinions. I was unaware that this was part of my Doctoral Dissertation. I have admired JMC from afar. Upclose some of the luster has been lost.

If this is a grammatical square dance then fu*k off. I'm pretty sure I have more education than 90% of the posters here.  Keep it classy and sassy JMC. (Smug Pri*k). enjoy basking in the glow of your own awesome experiences and exceptionally awesome comments. Not to mention your ability to read the future which was what captivated me most. 

Enjoy your time on the board, you do a good job no doubt it is very important to you.  Keep up the good work. I will continue to admire from afar.

Beautiful post. Absolutely beautiful. Thank you, sir.