Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

ROANOKE, Va. – The Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs announced on Sunday that forward Lane King has been acquired from the Peoria Rivermen. Additionally, forward Cal Miska and defensemen Troy Henley and Nikita Kolesnikovs have each been placed on waivers.

King is in his first professional season out of Lawrence University. The Waunakee, Wisconsin native put up an impressive 16 goals and 21 assists over 27 games during his senior season in 2017-18. During three games with the Rivermen he scored one goal and notched a +2 plus/minus.

16 minutes ago, RapidFire19 said:

Hmm......so basically y'all gave up Bronner for nothing.....🤔

Since Henley was the "future consideration" on the Bronner trade, you could say that.

1 hour ago, Greg81102 said:

Dawgs sign Forward Matt Quilty who will start out on injured reserve.

http://pointstreaksites.com/view/roanokerailyarddawgs/news-1147/news_511212

Dillan Fox sure has helped, the D-man we just got and Quilty were both former teammates of Fox.

We will soon be known as the Peoria Mississippi’s LOL

13 minutes ago, RYDSPHLFAN said:

We will soon be known as the Peoria Mississippi’s LOL

We got a ways to go.  Pensacola has a lot more Mississippi players.  Plus, Quilty just played with Fox in college, he hasn't played professionally yet.  So we still only have 2 Mississippi players.  But I guess we know why Quilty wasn't in our training camp now.

November 10 - (F) Jesse Schwartz transferred from 21 day IR to 30 day IR.

November 18, 2018

DAWGS ACQUIRE DEFENSEMAN ALEX ADAMS FROM KNOXVILLE

Rail Yard Dawgs bring in Adams in exchange for future considerations

ROANOKE, Va. – The Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs announced on Sunday that the team has acquired defenseman Alex Adams from the Knoxville Ice Bears in exchange for future considerations.

Adams joins the Rail Yard Dawgs after playing four games with Knoxville and recording two assists. He also appeared in one game this season for the ECHL’s Maine Mariners before joining the Ice Bears. The 25-year-old defenseman is in his first full pro season out of Wilfrid Laurier University in Canada. He also played 15 games for the Ice Bears last season and finished with four goals and six assists.

The Rail Yard Dawgs will return to action at home on Thanksgiving night against the Fayetteville Marksmen. Puck drop is set for 7:05 PM at Berglund Center. The pregame show on the Haley Toyota Rail Yard Dawgs Hockey Network begins at 6:50 PM.

I'm always a bit skeptical about these future considerations trades.  Most likely they in one way have too many players and need to unload one thats extra.  So most of the time you're getting the player they don't want anymore for some reason.  His stats are good for an offensive defenseman.  But we really need a Cam Bakker type player who can keep shots and goals from happening in our own net.  Hope he last longer then the last defenseman we received in a future considerations trade with QC!!  Then these trades usually happen between teams who rarely play each other so they can't come back to bite them.  Knoxville, one of our biggest rivals handing him over to us is a head scratcher.

Dawgs fans did you see where Goz was suspended by Norfolk?  Would he help your D?

Edited to add:  All I can add about Alex Adams is that he was in an ECHL camp this fall. 

Edited by Make Marky GM

Adams is good.  No idea why Knoxville would dump him for nothing.  He is easily Ice Bears 3rd best defenseman, and I don't think they have a roster crunch on D.  Doesn't make hockey sense outside of something else coming for Knoxville.

2 minutes ago, Carey Mahoney said:

Adams is good.  No idea why Knoxville would dump him for nothing.  He is easily Ice Bears 3rd best defenseman, and I don't think they have a roster crunch on D.  Doesn't make hockey sense outside of something else coming for Knoxville.

Thats good to hear, sometimes it might not be because of how good a player is or his skill.  Just the situation.  Like we gave up one of my favorites Phil Bronner for nothing to QC.  But we had just signed Dion which is basically the same type player that camps out in front of the net cleaning things up after shots.  I guess only the coach and maybe player only knows the why story.

18 minutes ago, Make Marky GM said:

Dawgs fans did you see where Goz was suspended by Norfolk?  Would he help your D?

Edited to add:  All I can add about Alex Adams is that he was in an ECHL camp this fall. 

I seen it.  But same thing happened last year.  I think he went back to play for his home country last year.  I kind of got my hopes up last year when he was suspended and wasn't doing that again.  Only difference was it was at the end of the year and Norfolk was out of playoff contention.  This year they are improved.

Edit: also last year he was under contract with us.  This year he's not.

I have a feeling Schwartz comes off IR this week and a forward goes on. We have a few extra so someone may be the future consideration for Adams and we still owe Peoria a player for King, too. 

1 hour ago, Greg81102 said:

Thats good to hear, sometimes it might not be because of how good a player is or his skill.  Just the situation.  Like we gave up one of my favorites Phil Bronner for nothing to QC.  But we had just signed Dion which is basically the same type player that camps out in front of the net cleaning things up after shots.  I guess only the coach and maybe player only knows the why story.

Greg,  he is also not what I would call an offensive defenseman.  Adams is a pretty big guy and looks and plays more like a stay at home defenseman most of the time.  He just found a knack last year for putting himself in position to shoot, pass, and score at times.  His scoring numbers don't really match what you'll see on the ice exactly.  I mean that in a good way.  By the way, Knoxville picked up multiple forwards this week.  They have cut, traded, and IR'ed multiple defensemen.  Best I can tell, they have 4 defensemen remaining (5 if Sargis converts back to D from F).  I can't imagine Knoxville waiting on a F from Roanoke that means more to them than Adams on D.  He wasn't a big risk to spend lots of time on call-up, so I don't get it unless something went wrong in the locker room.  I hate to lose him for basically nothing, unless there is a big fish on the way in this week.

12 minutes ago, RYDSPHLFAN said:

I have a feeling Schwartz comes off IR this week and a forward goes on. We have a few extra so someone may be the future consideration for Adams and we still owe Peoria a player for King, too. 

Peoria don't need anymore players.  They keep signing one guy to a 3 day contract and waiving and resign the players they waive the next day.  Trudel works that roster let me tell you!  😂

4 minutes ago, Carey Mahoney said:

Greg,  he is also not what I would call an offensive defenseman.  Adams is a pretty big guy and looks and plays more like a stay at home defenseman most of the time.  He just found a knack last year for putting himself in position to shoot, pass, and score at times.  His scoring numbers don't really match what you'll see on the ice exactly.  I mean that in a good way.  By the way, Knoxville picked up multiple forwards this week.  They have cut, traded, and IR'ed multiple defensemen.  Best I can tell, they have 4 defensemen remaining (5 if Sargis converts back to D from F).  I can't imagine Knoxville waiting on a F from Roanoke that means more to them than Adams on D.  He wasn't a big risk to spend lots of time on call-up, so I don't get it unless something went wrong in the locker room.  I hate to lose him for basically nothing, unless there is a big fish on the way in this week.

We now have 7 defensemen on our team with Adams signing and before the last two games and losing Bakker to a call up we were setting Patrick Harrison out for a weekend of games when Bakker got sent down and played 2 games for us.  But we have been short a player on our roster ever since Bakker was called back up.  Maybe we plan on getting one of our two players off IR pretty soon and will have space to send you guys back another defenseman.  Who knows 😂

13 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

We now have 7 defensemen on our team with Adams signing and before the last two games and losing Bakker to a call up we were setting Patrick Harrison out for a weekend of games when Bakker got sent down and played 2 games for us.  But we have been short a player on our roster ever since Bakker was called back up.  Maybe we plan on getting one of our two players off IR pretty soon and will have space to send you guys back another defenseman.  Who knows 😂

Would Bakker be top notch defenseman for Knoxville?  Maybe Roanoke is taking Adams with less chance for call up than Bakker with a greater chance of spending more time up in the E?  Knoxville may be gambling to get a better player for less time?

I would not think Bremner would trade Bakker’s rights. I really believe Guyon has been nicked up all year and he looked to aggravate that injury early in the third last night. With three in three this weekend, coach may pull the trigger on getting him healthy? He looked half speed against Macon Friday...but they made most of the team look slow, too.