Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
Goonhunter4mksmen

Do we need some toughness?

1 hour ago, Goonhunter4mksmen said:

We have the talent as far as goal scoring, but are we lacking Toughness? Yes or No and opinions please.

Excellent question and it's good to see a poster actually wanting to discuss the team on here.  So far Sheeran,  Casale and maybe Jeke have shown they will be tough if needed.  5 games in it seems the team is not too concerned with being physical possibly due to the coaches philosophy. From this fans standpoint the 3 home games have not been very entertaining due to a lack of physical play combined with a lack of offense (my opinion).  I like the fact they don't carry a Drobot type on the roster but after seeing he had his first fight in the E the other night I think I'm starting to miss him.

Edited by Make Marky GM
  • Like 1

No toughness at all. Guys got very frustrated at away game in Macon when Mayhem was throwing elbows and being very physical. Without an enforcer or a Drobot type player, there was no one to level the playing field. A big part of Jamie Hill's frustration that night. I agree the home games were very "flat" and almost boring. Hope our assistant coach can teach them to add some grit to the ice when needed. It IS hockey after all.

• Thanks 1

First game they threw a few checks, other 2 home games, none, at home especially you have to hit, not goon it up, but hit and let them know real quick, you won't get pushed around, we do need an enforcer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We do need a player who can throw when needed and play the game. I liked Drobot but he was one dimensional. We need someone like Taylor Thompson. You put butts in the seat with lots of action. Fans who know hockey is ok with what we have but most fans don't know hockey. Just like NASCAR fans, some likes the race and others like the crashes.

Edited by 72Vette
  • Like 2

We absolutely need toughness.  I'm not advocating going out and signing a one dimensional player who gets 2-3 shifts a game but rather someone who can score but definitely throw down when needed.  You don't need 8-9 fights a game but a scrap or two and some good ole checks are what ignites crowds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fayetteville has a grim history in Peoria.  In the 5 year history Peoria holds a 12-2-0 record on home ice with 66 goals scored vs 28 against.  Peoria is on a 7 game win streak against FAY at home.  The Marksmen will need toughness and plenty of other stuff to turn things around.

Edited by Make Marky GM
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

How much toughness is needed or not needed will be easily decided over the next 2 games in Peoria.

I'm sure they will still be hitting and physical but they have mostly lost the intimidation factor.  Only two tough guys they had on the team was Jake Flegal and Gomez.  Jake Flegal was called up and Gomez had to retire because of too many concussions.  QC been giving Hagaman hell and they don't have anyone left to take up for him.