Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
antman

Where Are All The Hockey Fans In Fay

1191 on Friday against Knoxville, Only 1545 fans on Saturday against Roanoke, what in the world is going on, this better improve guys or hockey will never last in Fayetteville. 1545 on a Saturday may be a record or close to it. We have heard all the excuses before like football or it will pick up later. Ticket prices are good, the entertainment is excellent, the promotions are good but where are all the hockey fans in Fayetteville, don't think just signing a lease is a guarantee a team will survive. The Crown is not even worth opening for so few people. We may not be drawing as many people as some teams in the beer league, FHL. Sure hope this improves before it is too late.

• Like 2

Lack of advertising (other than social media) is hurting. Much fewer corporate sponsors is hurting. Hiring all new staff with only ONE having any ties to Fayetteville is hurting. Upsetting so many dedicated season ticket holders and loyal fans is hurting. Fayetteville desperately needs butts in seats EVERY game...and believe me, the numbers reported are inflated. There were less people than what was posted.

Edited by SouthernHockeyGirl
Typo
  • Like 1

For the last 5 years I emailed and asked why the hockey scores were not called in to the 5 or so TV stations that serve Fay and outlaying areas, free publicity right there, they do it for minor league baseball,  my efforts fell on deaf ears

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Lack of advertising (other than social media) is hurting. Much fewer corporate sponsors is hurting. Hiring all new staff with only ONE having any ties to Fayetteville is hurting. Upsetting so many dedicated season ticket holders and loyal fans is hurting. Fayetteville desperately needs butts in seats EVERY game...and believe me, the numbers reported are inflated. There were less people than what was posted.

This sums it up!!!!!

Edited by AfghanPiehole
  • Like 1

Where's MarksmenArtist?  He or she used to be rah-rah-rah, never speak negative about the Marksmen.  Maybe he or she can re-appear and enlighten us by putting a positive spin on the awful attendance numbers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AfghanPiehole said:

Where's MarksmenArtist?  He or she used to be rah-rah-rah, never speak negative about the Marksmen.  Maybe he or she can re-appear and enlighten us by putting a positive spin on the awful attendance numbers.

She has been re-branded.  She's here but not as rah-rah. 

On another note-- at 2k fans a night (current ave after 5 games) that comes to 56k for the year.  Last year was 83,699. Mr. Calculator says that is roughly a 33% drop.  It's still early- maybe the colder weather will get more people in the arena.

Edited to add: IMHO 6:00 pm start times on a Saturday night are a bad idea. 

Edited by Make Marky GM
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AfghanPiehole said:

Refer to @SouthernHockeyGirl  A rose by any other name ... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AfghanPiehole said:

Maybe he or she can re-appear and enlighten us by putting a positive spin on the awful attendance numbers.

Here's a positive spin. I'm positive the numbers reported are inflated from the actual numbers of those watching in attendance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Here's a positive spin. I'm positive the numbers reported are inflated from the actual numbers of those watching in attendance.

It has been stated on this forum before that the announced attendance is actual tickets sold not butts in the seats. Not sure if that's true but it could explain why the difference.

Yes, I had heard it is tickets printed which includes all the season tickets pre-sold too. So, even if STH are not in the building, they are counted in attendance. So it is not a true count of "tickets scanned" at the doors=butts in the seats. From the small size of the STH parking lot at the Crown, their numbers are way down from years past also.

Each front office usually monitors three numbers:

• Tickets Out:  This is the biggest number.  It's the number of tickets pre-sold to STH, tickets sold to walk-ups at the box office on game night, plus any tickets given out as comps or distributed/sold at a discount to groups (e.g., "Boy Scout Night").  This is the number the Fire Marshal and Ticketmaster are most interested in and it typically has a hard cap.  Lots of these tickets go unused.  Some STH might take the night off.  Not all those Boy Scouts can convince their parents to take them to the game (where they then have to buy their own ticket and pay for concessions).  But just because you see an empty seat doesn't necessarily mean the team didn't receive some payment for it.
  • The Gate:  This is the smallest number.  It's the number of tickets that got scanned on entry.  It's your "butts in the seats" number.  It may even be a little low because it might not count all the game day ops folks that are running around the arena but have badges, not tickets.  They're watching the game even if they aren't sitting in a seat.
  • Announced Attendance:  This is the fabricated number.  Some teams will report the (possibly inflated) Tickets Out number, some will report a proprietary blend of Tickets Out and the Gate.  Few are going to report the raw Gate.  This is usually the only number regular fans see because it's announced on the PA and printed on the gamesheet.

Which number you care about depends on what point you are trying to prove. 

• If you want to argue your fans have deserted you and the team is obviously going to fold, go with the Gate.
  • If you want to demonstrate your franchise remains financially solvent in the face of a near-winless season, go with Tickets Out.
  • If you want to complain that the front office is staffed by a bunch of lying liars who can't count above ten with their shoes on, go with Announced Attendance.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Which number does the league show on their website?

15 hours ago, Make Marky GM said:

She has been re-branded.  She's here but not as rah-rah. 

On another note-- at 2k fans a night (current ave after 5 games) that comes to 56k for the year.  Last year was 83,699. Mr. Calculator says that is roughly a 33% drop.  It's still early- maybe the colder weather will get more people in the arena.

Edited to add: IMHO 6:00 pm start times on a Saturday night are a bad idea. 

I am sure it depends on a blend of things like stadium leases, merchandise sales, team payroll, gas prices, and even more esoteric things, but looking back over the years of annual attendance and which teams fold this seems like a number that will keep a team afloat (although obviously the 83000 number is preferable).

I was there Friday night...Pitiful 😞 every time i bring new potential fans they ask. Is this all the people that come? Not much for them to get excited about. We won't have hockey in Fay much longer 😞 

• Sad 1

I have always wondered why teams in Fayetteville have had hard time of getting occupancy . I have worked with all 3 organizations Force, FireAntz and Marksmen. It has always been a challenge. The only way we have ever put alot of fans in seats for hockey was to just give tons of tickets away. Which is counter productive due to you decrease the value of your product. No one will ever pay for what they can get for free..

• Like 1

With Class A professional baseball starting here in the spring I have to wonder if people are putting their entertainment dollars into season tickets or other ticket packages for the Woodpeckers instead of into Hockey.  This market may not be able to sustain both. I think Norris will at least keep the team going until the current lease expires and then evaluate his options.

I have heard at least 10 different STH families that have stated they will never buy season tickets again. Three of these families have stated they will be choosing to spend their money watching Woodpeckers baseball instead. Something needs to drastically improve NOW. Don't want to see the Crown lose its anchor tenant.

1 hour ago, Make Marky GM said:

With Class A professional baseball starting here in the spring I have to wonder if people are putting their entertainment dollars into season tickets or other ticket packages for the Woodpeckers instead of into Hockey.  This market may not be able to sustain both. I think Norris will at least keep the team going until the current lease expires and then evaluate his options.

It will be interesting to see what the baseball team can sustain for occupancy of course first year will be good but it's hard to say in this market

1 hour ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

I have heard at least 10 different STH families that have stated they will never buy season tickets again. Three of these families have stated they will be choosing to spend their money watching Woodpeckers baseball instead. Something needs to drastically improve NOW. Don't want to see the Crown lose its anchor tenant.

We have a baseball team in the same single A league, Salem Red Sox.  I go to a few a year.  Last year i made it to two.  Just not as exciting and the prices here are just expensive as the hockey games.  I never miss a hockey game!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

I was told the Crown wont let it be lost. Like you said, it is the anchor tenant. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

I would be interested in finding out why they dknt feel the need to renew. The on ice talent is far better , the game show is far better prices are still as reasonable as going to a movie if its lack of attendance that has persuaded them to not renew than that is counter productive. I see no reason in not supporting the Fayetteville hockey organization regardless of team name and what players are playing. These young guys need to see that the town supports them and not alot of personal vendettas because people got their feelings hurt or because attendance is low. Come to the games and be a part of the people trying to make it better of course I mean attendance wise.

Who said anything about personal vendettas or getting feelings hurt as the reason for not renewing as a STH? Each person has their own reason for showing their support at whatever level they show it. For hockey or any other event in Fayetteville. To each his own.

Obviously as the game DJ, you feel a lot has improved. I agree in some areas. The music is FAR better! The Jumbotron and videos are incredible! Instant replay is valuable! The tenacity and level of play is much better. Admission is pretty good. Merchandise display and staff is a big improvement. The areas that need improvements (IMO) are: on ice promos (boring), player introductions (LAME, need fog and lights), goal celebrations (fog from ceiling or something else), bring back Iceman slinging shirts from golf cart, advertising other than social media, more player meet and greets and away game viewing at FAMILY FRIENDLY VENUES, and show more appreciation and respect to loyal fans. 

Don't throw the flaming arrows or pitchforks at me please. Just stating my opinion which I believe we all are allowed to do here.

• Like 2

What's the deal with the coaches not trying to connect with the fan base.  Other than a quote or two after each game we the fans don't get to hear from them.  At one point the Marksmen announced on social media they were in the process of finalizing a periodic coaches show. What came of that?  As a fan I'd like to see what Kallechy and ex-NHLer Worrell has to say about the team and players. I guess the coaches show was a tease that never happened just like the 82nd airborne band that never showed as promised.

Edited by Make Marky GM
  • Like 1