Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

NewsBot

Despite 45 shots, Marksmen lose 4-2 to Roanoke

Despite 45 Shots, Marksmen Lose 4-2 to Roanoke

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. – Riding the high off of a late home OT win, the Marksmen looked to earn their first weekend sweep of the season against their rival Roanoke. Unfortunately for Fayetteville, Roanoke came to town with other intentions.

The puck was dropped and another chapter in this rivalry was being written. Just 1:22 into the game, Jeff Jones snuck one past Alex Murray for his second goal of the season, and gave Roanoke a very early lead. Fayetteville attacked the net constantly, not giving Dawgs Goaltender Tanner Creel any rest. With a power play in hand, Carl Greco capitalized and found the back of the net, tying the score at one.

View the full article

• Like 1

After researching the true definition of shots on goal, I will be interested to see if the next SOG total is accurate. I don't remember 45 quality shots right at Creel at this game, but I could have missed a few. 

7 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

After researching the true definition of shots on goal, I will be interested to see if the next SOG total is accurate. I don't remember 45 quality shots right at Creel at this game, but I could have missed a few. 

It is all based off of who is counting them and whether they think it should count as a shot or not.  They are always missing some.  Don't expect this to be accurate all the time.  But usually if its wrong it should be more shots because they miss shots taken.  Not add shots that never happened.  Shots are shots up to discretion.  The speed and usually where its shot from has something to do with it.

57 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Another function of the off-ice officials, BTW. 

Its a lot different when the stat can be up to your discretion.  Giving out who gets penalties and points on goals should be black and white.  Saying that though, goalies do complain about not getting credit for some saves they complete.  It screws with their stats just as much as other players not getting their points.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

It is all based off of who is counting them and whether they think it should count as a shot or not.  They are always missing some.  Don't expect this to be accurate all the time.  But usually if its wrong it should be more shots because they miss shots taken.  Not add shots that never happened.  Shots are shots up to discretion.  The speed and usually where its shot from has something to do with it.

There was a ton of shots on goal it was atleast 45 if not more . I will watch the recording and see but you are correct it usually goes the other way pretty dramatically. I have seen several shots never get counted

1 hour ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Does anyone know if the off-ice officials in this league have any formal training or credentials? Just curious.

No clue, but you would think watching a lot of the referee officials that they haven't had any either.  Bad thing is they are paid.

11 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

No clue, but you would think watching a lot of the referee officials that they haven't had any either.  Bad thing is they are paid.

There has definitely been some odd calls this year and we are very early in the season

• Like 1

They are highly trained professionals. Or maybe nice people who are willing to help out for a piece of cold Pizza.

Edited by fred
  • Like 2

I've never understood why, in todays age of wireless communication, the off ice officials (or at least the ones responsible for  shot counts) still sit where they do and are not in the press box where they would have a clearer veiw to get SOG counts. It's gotta be difficult to tell fom the angle they are watching from whether or not some shots should be counted. 

Edited by vicvegas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vicvegas said:

I've never understood why, in todays age of wireless communication, the off ice officials (or at least the ones responsible for  shot counts) still sit where they do and are not in the press box where they would have a clearer veiw to get SOG counts. It's gotta be difficult to tell fom the angle they are watching from whether or not some shots should be counted. 

Have you seen where some of the "press boxes" are? Waaaay up in the nosebleed section of the arena! How you gonna get a "clearer view" from way on up high?

13 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Have you seen where some of the "press boxes" are? Waaaay up in the nosebleed section of the arena! How you gonna get a "clearer view" from way on up high?

As long as the press box isn't so high in the rafters that you can't see the puck or read jersey numbers, possibly an issue in larger NHL arenas but not even close to an issue in SPHL arenas, then the elevated height gives you a more complete view of the ice and a more accurate perception of the angle of travel of the puck. I am sure we have all seen those shots where we thought they were dead on goals only to see a replay from a different angle and realized it wasn't even close, the higher above the ice the viewer is, the less of an issue that becomes. There is a reason announcers sit up there and not right on the ice.

1 hour ago, vicvegas said:

As long as the press box isn't so high in the rafters that you can't see the puck or read jersey numbers, possibly an issue in larger NHL arenas but not even close to an issue in SPHL arenas, then the elevated height gives you a more complete view of the ice and a more accurate perception of the angle of travel of the puck. I am sure we have all seen those shots where we thought they were dead on goals only to see a replay from a different angle and realized it wasn't even close, the higher above the ice the viewer is, the less of an issue that becomes. There is a reason announcers sit up there and not right on the ice.

I guess you've seen the great qualityImage result for sarcasm emoticon  high-def video of games provided by Neulion, which give you quite a "clear view" of jersey numbers and "accurate perception" of the plays.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Here is the view from the Press Box in Roanoke by photographer Sarah Hobday

1 hour ago, Greg81102 said:

Here is the view from the Press Box in Roanoke by photographer Sarah Hobday

Post a pic, taken without a zoom lens, of action on the ice- then we can see if jersey numbers and the puck are clearly visible for accurate perception of what's taking place at that time.  

3 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Post a pic, taken without a zoom lens, of action on the ice- then we can see if jersey numbers and the puck are clearly visible for accurate perception of what's taking place at that 

From the back and top of the arena's seats you can see everything.  The press box is closer and higher up then those seats.  Thats perfect view for everything.  Our announcer calls every game from standing up there.  Vicvegas was talking about shot counts.  If you couldn't see that from there you're blind.  I know exactly what he is talking about too.  Last night Fayetteville had tons of shots someone never counted.  I saw early in the game Fayetteville had 3 shots pretty back to back and none of them were counted.  If Brian Gardner can call a whole game up there seeing the jersey numbers and everything else, someone should be able to count shots right.

Talked with a couple of off-ice officials before tonight's game. FYI- it's considered a shot on goal if the puck would go into the net if the goalie was not there. Even if the goalie makes a glove catch outside of the goal mouth, or a puck is even 1 millimeter wide of the net or over the crossbar, there would be no score, thus no SOG. So what may look like tons of shots TOWARDS the net aren't considered shots on goal. And, at least in the VBC,  there are spotters throughout the arena to aid in determining who gets goals and assists (they said the ref usually says who gets credit for the goal, but corrections can and are made at times, both regarding the goal scorer and the helpers).  Doc

1 hour ago, hockeydoc said:

Talked with a couple of off-ice officials before tonight's game. FYI- it's considered a shot on goal if the puck would go into the net if the goalie was not there. Even if the goalie makes a glove catch outside of the goal mouth, or a puck is even 1 millimeter wide of the net or over the crossbar, there would be no score, thus no SOG. So what may look like tons of shots TOWARDS the net aren't considered shots on goal. And, at least in the VBC,  there are spotters throughout the arena to aid in determining who gets goals and assists (they said the ref usually says who gets credit for the goal, but corrections can and are made at times, both regarding the goal scorer and the helpers).  Doc

I watched the game tonight in Huntsville and my Dawgs. I thought your off ice officials were spot on with the shots.  They actually looked like they knew what they were doing. I didn't see them miss any shots I can recall. They might be like that there but I also believe in some places they can be terrible.  Its like at times they get up to use the restroom and miss multiple shots at once.  I also like how you guys put the clock, score, and shots on goal on the telecast.  Can't stand teams that don't and some announcers won't ever tell you how much time is left in the game.  I also don't mind your guys announcer.  He does pretty good except calling Eric Witzel, Wetzel lol.  He also called the Havoc the Chargers once during the game and mentioned the owners wasn't going to be happy with that and she was giving him a mean look afterwards.  😂😂

6 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

He also called the Havoc the Chargers once during the game and mentioned the owners wasn't going to be happy with that and she was giving him a mean look afterwards.  😂😂

He also announces UAH Chargers games. 

7 hours ago, hockeydoc said:

He also announces UAH Chargers games. 

Yeah, he mentioned that afterwards.  Definately not as bad as the Birmingham announcer who does games for Eli Gold when he doesn't.  He called his own team Birmingham, Huntsville.  

• Haha 1