Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
AuburnAL

Is this legal?

If a player grabs the puck with his hand and throws it into the goal, is that a legal goal?

14 minutes ago, AuburnAL said:

If a player grabs the puck with his hand and throws it into the goal, is that a legal goal?

No it shouldn't be, you can't use a kicking motion to kick one in either.  It can just bounce off a player to go in with no throwing or kicking motions.

I thought MacGuy had a thread with link to the SPHL Rule Book in this forum, but I couldn't find it.  :hmm:

According to the 2018-2019 SPHL Rule Book, the rule against this action is as follows ...

78.5 Disallowed Goals – Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee and the appropriate announcement made by the Public Address Announcer for the following reasons:

(i) When the puck has been directed, batted or thrown into the net by an attacking player other than with a stick. When this occurs, if it is deemed to be done deliberately, then the decision shall be NO GOAL.  A goal cannot be scored when the puck has been deliberately batted with any part of the attacking player’s body into the net. …

12 hours ago, AuburnAL said:

Are you new to hockey 

1 hour ago, Future said:

Are you new to hockey 

I’ve watched off and on over the years.  It has always surprised me you could just grab a puck out of the air and throw it where you wanted to start with.  Why not be allowed to score that way too?

44 minutes ago, AuburnAL said:

It has always surprised me you could just grab a puck out of the air and throw it where you wanted to start with.  

You can hand pass to yourself, and the team on defense in the defensive zone can accomplish a hand pass, but once a player is beyond his own blue line he can't hand pass the puck to another player. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

Looks like Oakland University in suburban Detroit needs to read this thread ... WDIV: Oakland University professors given hockey pucks to fight potential future gunmen in classrooms

Beaning a guy with a puck will do a little damage. Shooting him with your own gun is probably a better idea though.

3 hours ago, fred said:

Beaning a guy with a puck will do a little damage. Shooting him with your own gun is probably a better idea though.

I'd be worried about overall chucking accuracy in the hands of amateurs.  And what if the shooter is also a hockey goalie?  School administrators should not be in charge of security planning.  They should hire SPHL Forums for such things.