Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernHockeyGirl

Marksmen "embarrassed" by 7-2 rout

Well, skating 4 dmen (one, which played hurt tonight) wasn't the best decision to do. Coach had all week to bring someone in.....and "it being late in the season to find a good one" wont work here. He could of traded one of the extra forwards we have to QCS who has 9 on their roster (2 called up and 2 on IR). 3rd game in as many nights of forwards playing defense only puts more stress on them, since they were playing offensive shifts as well.

It may not have helped this weekend, but my point is coach has had plenty of time to make adjustments and not put all the blame on the boys. 

P.S. just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

I saw one good check thrown in the Saturday disaster, we are the softest team I have seen here in a while. Need to play a little physical, winning home games is really important in minor league hockey, team has potential for sure but they are not exciting to watch at the moment, hope changes are made before it is too late, look at Peoria guys, they make changes all through the season, it is not too late to get players, all the other teams are doing it. You don't have to fight but for God's sake, put a body on someone once in a while. Opposing forwards are getting free reign in our own building without being touched. Watched the Jets in Johnstown, PA growing up and no matter how horrible they were, you did not come into the War Memorial and push them around, you might have won the game but you did not forget where you won and was a little sore the following day for sure. Talked to many former players who played there and they definately remembered coming to play the Jets, always physical for sure.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, antman said:

I saw one good check thrown in the Saturday disaster, we are the softest team I have seen here in a while. Need to play a little physical, winning home games is really important in minor league hockey, team has potential for sure but they are not exciting to watch at the moment, hope changes are made before it is too late, look at Peoria guys, they make changes all through the season, it is not too late to get players, all the other teams are doing it. You don't have to fight but for God's sake, put a body on someone once in a while. Opposing forwards are getting free reign in our own building without being touched. Watched the Jets in Johnstown, PA growing up and no matter how horrible they were, you did not come into the War Memorial and push them around, you might have won the game but you did not forget where you won and was a little sore the following day for sure. Talked to many former players who played there and they definately remembered coming to play the Jets, always physical for sure.

"Modern" hockey has reached the SPHL at this point.  You can say goodbye to hard checking and fighting.  I have not seen a dozen good checks in half a dozen games I've attended this season (and that covers 5 combinations of teams playing).

• Sad 1

...To SHG.  I decided to not feed the troll.  I'll use up the few flex tickets I have and then the wife and I are done.

Huntsville   25,005 5 5,001
Knoxville   16,168 4 4,042
Peoria   19,494 5 3,898
Pensacola   25,349 7 3,621
Quad City   24,363 7 3,480
Roanoke   22,107 7 3,158
Evansville   14,265 6 2,377
Birmingham   16,163 7 2,309
Fayetteville   11,550 6 1,925
Macon Mayhem   12,075 7 1,725
TOTALS:   186,539 61 3,058

Edited by Make Marky GM
  • Like 1

So to recap: Less than 24 hr since the owner got a laugh out of one of our members discussing an issue with our D play they trade away 1/4 of the healthy D-men. 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Make Marky GM said:

So to recap: Less than 24 hr since the owner got a laugh out of one of our members discussing an issue with our D play they trade away 1/4 of the healthy D-men. 😂

We are still in the same hole we were in a few days ago. 4 active defensemen (if Jeke can play, he was hurt this past weekend). Palmer is still a "?" after being out 3 games......also added another forward which makes 14 forwards. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Make Marky GM said:

...To SHG.  I decided to not feed the troll.  I'll use up the few flex tickets I have and then the wife and I are done.

this is not so much funny but it is sad. Take out opening night and the average is pushing Macon for last.

Huntsville   25,005 5 5,001
Knoxville   16,168 4 4,042
Peoria   19,494 5 3,898
Pensacola   25,349 7 3,621
Quad City   24,363 7 3,480
Roanoke   22,107 7 3,158
Evansville   14,265 6 2,377
Birmingham   16,163 7 2,309
Fayetteville   11,550 6 1,925
Macon Mayhem   12,075 7 1,725
TOTALS:   186,539 61 3,058

Attendance is down almost 900 fans a a game through the first 6 games as compared through the first 6 games last season.  The numbers don't lie and should be cause for concern.  

Edited by AfghanPiehole

On 11/26/2018 at 7:35 PM, AfghanPiehole said:

Attendance is down almost 900 fans a a game through the first 6 games as compared through the first 6 games last season.  The numbers don't lie and should be cause for concern.  

This is not accurate.  Last season, the numbers announced were basically a made up number, that included every ticket out of the system and then some.  Team president at the time made that decision. I was an owner of the team, but I did not run the day to day operations.  

This seasons numbers are actual tickets that are out of the system only.  So, this seasons numbers are accurate.  

Are they good, no.  But, they are actually up through 8 games over last season, and WAY up over the last year of the FireAntz.  Our paid ticket numbers are up almost 40% over last season.  Again, the numbers are not good, but they are better and we have a much better trajectory than last season.  😀

Edited by MarksmenOwner
Typo
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 11:52 AM, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Maybe the "necessary roster change" that needs to happen is replacing Kallechy with Worrell. Now is better than later.

I disagree Here. Jesse is doing a really good job, and we are exactly where we wanted to be at this point in the season.  We are a young team and we will stumble from time to time.  We will continue to get better as the season goes.  Championship teams are not built in 1 off season.  It’s going to take time.  I’m happy with what we’ve got thus far.  I’ve gotta believe there’s several teams in the league that would be ecstatic to be where we are.  

On 11/26/2018 at 4:44 PM, RapidFire19 said:

We are still in the same hole we were in a few days ago. 4 active defensemen (if Jeke can play, he was hurt this past weekend). Palmer is still a "?" after being out 3 games......also added another forward which makes 14 forwards. 

We have moved Osaka to D and he has really played well, considering.  We have 6 D.  And contrary to your statements, none are injured.  Of course, there are guys walking around hurting a little bit, but luckily, no injuries.  

On 11/26/2018 at 2:55 PM, Make Marky GM said:

Grecs is a really good offensive player,  But we needed to get better defensively.  The trade makes sense based on our need to get better in the D zone.  And getting two guys for one, that'll help our team get better...We believe was the right move.

We just beat Peoria twice this weekend and both new guys played a big part of that.  

Reality is, we will make mistakes.  God knows, we made tons last season.  We learned a lot.  I trust our coaching staff and the direction the team is heading.  Are we gonna win it all this season?  Prob not.  Will we be much better than we were?  I have seen plenty of things to make me confident that we are.  

On 11/24/2018 at 11:06 PM, RapidFire19 said:

Well, skating 4 dmen (one, which played hurt tonight) wasn't the best decision to do. Coach had all week to bring someone in.....and "it being late in the season to find a good one" wont work here. He could of traded one of the extra forwards we have to QCS who has 9 on their roster (2 called up and 2 on IR). 3rd game in as many nights of forwards playing defense only puts more stress on them, since they were playing offensive shifts as well.

It may not have helped this weekend, but my point is coach has had plenty of time to make adjustments and not put all the blame on the boys. 

P.S. just my 2 cents.

There’s a lot to unpack here, but you are almost 100% incorrect.  

1. We had 5D and none injured. 

2. It’s kinda hard to call a team and just TELL them to take our extra forward for one of your 9 D men. Especially when 4 of those 9 are not even available to play (2 injured & 2 called up). 

3. No one was playing D and F shifts in the same game.  

4. You did make me LOL when I read this though. So, thank you for that.  😀

I don't plan on defending my emotions or comments made on a discussion board toward a pro sports team to anyone but I want to say one thing here.  Just because passionate fans might occasionally question decisions or make seemingly negative comments that doesn't mean they are intended as personal attacks. If you don't want that type of fan rooting for your team so be it. Personally, I'll be honest the 7-2 loss to Knoxville took the wind out of my sails because I saw that game 20 times last year. I'm having a hard enough time convincing the wife to go see hockey again and a game like that didn't help my cause any.  I understand a team can have the occasional bad game but with the KNX game visions of a repeat of last season were a little too real.  A few of us needed to vent and we did.  It now looks in hindsight the Knoxville game was an aberration and good things are ahead for the team.  Hopefully, in time some fences can be mended.

The goal every year should be winning it all. Make the moves that need to be made...whether it's players or coaches. Fans are running for the hills. Baseball coming to town would be a good place to do more advertising for next year. Y'all should advertise for them also. I really love the promotion you have for DEC 26th. But honestly i'm not sure that that's a prime time for that. But i will not argue with you Mr. Owner. Please make the changes needed to keep hockey in FAY. There has to be more ways to get them there!

I agree with IH.The goal every season should be to win it all. As a former player and coach of amateur sports, it takes time to build a team and it's even harder for professional sports. I am also a big fan and can be negative towards all the sport team I support when the team is playing badly. The team is doing better this season than last year. The next goal is to figure out how to put more butts in the seats. The advertisement of the Marksmen is 💯% better than the Fireantz. Heck, coming back from the beach I saw a Huge billboard in Lumberton advertising the Marksmen. The only thing I would add if possible is to show clips of the game on our local TV station. The upgrades to the crown is awesome. What about playing a game or two in the Hurricans PNC arena? That would be good for advertisement. :thumbsup2:

Edited by 72Vette