Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
NewsBot

Dawgs' comeback falls short

Dawgs' comeback falls short

ROANOKE, VA – The Rail Yard Dawgs scored twice in the third period including a goal in the final minute to bring themselves within one but could not complete the comeback as they fell to the Huntsville Havoc, 3-2, Saturday night at Berglund Center.

View the full article

I am quite sure Dan Bremner is still molding this team towards a vision that he has of what it takes to create a champion. And I have full confidence he is going to do that. I also know it will not be particularly easy and will not come without some trial and tribulation.  We can definitely see flashes of that in this team with a high energy level and hard work ethic that is combined with some great talent and some real toughness. Call ups and injuries have certainly played a big part as of late to slow the progression. When players lines have to be shuffled and new players added it has bound to create some disarray and dysfunction in the play.  The loss of Maxime Guyon to the 30 day IR created a huge void.    Several games recently it has appeared Roanoke had the more talented personnel but were beaten by an opposition with more disciplined teamwork and positioning. The Dawgs are definitely a rough and tough team. But they must learn to use it in a correct way that makes it an attribute and not a detriment. Taking penalties for spraying the opposing goalie after the whistle and jabbing the opposing goalies glove well after the whistle is detrimental to your own team.  So:

1. There are good penalties and there are bad penalties. Cut out the nonsensical penalties that serve no purpose.

2.  Put the shots on net, not high over the net and not wide of the net. And I am not talking about plays where the puck is passed for deflections.  I am talking about the multitude of good scoring chances that are lost by just plain out missing the net. When shooting the puck, shoot it within the parameters of the net. Hit the net.  Goals or good rebounds for more chances will follow. This seems like a no-brainer but as I watch the play I see more shots miss the net than those that are saved. 

3.  Teams need good ice to play. I do not know what issue the civic center is having with the ice but it is taking away from the quality of the ice hockey games. The last two home games the ice has been very poor, creating stumbles, falls and bouncing pucks. And the resurfacing before the third period of Saturday's game was absolutely atrocious. It appeared the Zamboni shaved way too deep and then the ice was left rough and unresurfaced in many spots. This creates a dangerous situation as well as changes the quality of play. This definitely must be fixed. That said, I am so glad the civic center has worked with the Rail Yard Dawgs so well in getting hockey back to Roanoke. But my issue with the civic center from a fan standpoint is the sound system. Fans cannot understand what the announcer or anyone using a microphone are saying. The sound clarity is very poor and its hard for me to believe it cannot be fixed. I know they renovated the sound system but maybe they need the sound engineers to come back and listen. The higher up the seating the worse the clarity.

Okay, Macon is coming to town this weekend. Let's outplay them.  

• Like 1