Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Greg81102

GDT - Macon @ Roanoke 11/30/18 7:05 pm et.

Macon comes to town for the first of two home games this weekend at The Berglund Center.  Come out and support the Dawgs as they take on one of the best teams in the league.  Go Dawgs!!!!

Game Day Central

Making my 2nd 80-minute trek down I-81 tonight. I’ve seen a Macon game in each season, but this year it won’t feel the same without Sicard to chirp.

The ref was horrible, but it is tough to watch your assistant captain take a blatant undisciplined major penalty that will probably have him sitting out a game for the second time in 13 games this season. Gotta be better than that man. 

• Like 2

We got robbed in that game.  We outplayed them in every aspect of the game except goaltending.  Ruby won that one for them a long with a few of the refs calls.  But we need more discipline.  We took so many bad penalties it isn't funny.  We get the momentum then Adams makes another stupid penalty to take away another 2 minutes to tie the game and give them another 5 on 3.  I can also see why Dion was pissed off and did what he did even though what he did was pretty dumb.  The ref let the Macon player hit him punch him and put him in a headlock and calls nothing but he seen what Dion did in retaliation.  Plus Macon gets all kinds of penalties flopping all night long.

4 minutes ago, RYDSPHLFAN said:

The ref was horrible, but it is tough to watch your assistant captain take a blatant undisciplined major penalty that will probably have him sitting out a game for the second time in 13 games this season. Gotta be better than that man. 

I agree, he had a reason to be pissed off but you don't go and do that and probably get another suspension and leave your team short a player against one of the best teams in the league again.

• Like 1

As others have said, the team is lacking discipline. I thought Bremner was a no nonsense guy that holds players accountable? I hope he let them have it in the locker room. There’s no need to take stupid penalties when you’re down a few goals. I know he can right the ship but he needs to sooner rather than later. 

- The difference in goaltending? Rebound control. Ruby is one of the league’s best. Saw him play in college as a D1 starter in my hometown, better pedigree than most of this league, and it showed. Caffrey was respectable, though.

- Let me be the next to echo it: too many dumb penalties. Seems like after every game I have to read “the ref screwed us”, but that’s not the case 56 times a year. The ref made it clear all game that he was going to call it right. He whistled the Mayhem plenty for their 90’s-trap era stickwork, but they adjusted. The Dawgs, however, continued to obviously board guys. How could not expect to get called every time?

- Great game by Economos, good idea with a fight to energize that building, although it would have more effect right after an intermission than before. Poor game by Adams.

- All told I’m pleasantly surprised by how the team hung with a powerhouse. They have a real shot to take a few of the 8 remaining games coming up in the next 5 weeks. The Dawgs are not a contender like Bob McGinn promised, but they should absolutely make the playoffs.

• Like 1

Does anyone think that the Dawgs were overhyped but the owners and fans coming into this season? I feel like many people expected Roanoke to be a top 3 team but now people are disappointed that they are not. 

I don’t think Roanoke is any worse than they have ever been but they’re not better either. They’re about the same as they were last season when Bremner took over. They need something to light a fire under them. Stringing together a few wins would certainly help. I will say that probably the best new player is Economos. He may not score a lot but he gets the crowd back into the games, sticks up for teammates and himself and he plays hard all game. 

Carvalho is by far the most steady player we have right now. Guyon being out has hurt the team a ton. I like Adams a lot. That second cross checking call was really bad. Armstrong looks really good. Dion has great hands and takes up space in fron on the power play, but is taking some unfortunate undisciplined penalties. It will not surprise me if he is suspended for tonight’s game. I may be wrong.

We just got passed in the standings by an expansion team led in scoring by two of Bremner's biggest player moves. Moved Mueller and Bauer last season for Porter who is now coaching in a weak junior league and playing senior league in Canada. At least he got Bauer back. Mueller now leads the Storm in scoring. Great trade! Moved Bronner for nothing. How many majors did Bronner take? Great trade! Zach Tatrn has 5 points in 8 games with Fayetteville. There is plenty of skill on this team, but even the best manager has to coach once in a while. How much you want to bet we see more great trades? 

9 hours ago, Canucks13 said:

Does anyone think that the Dawgs were overhyped but the owners and fans coming into tomorrow his season? I feel like many people expected Roanoke to be a top 3 team but now people are disappointed that they are not.

I think they were. I expected not as much as some but a 4-6, middle of the pack team. I definitely expected to be better than Quad City. In fairness we have not played the same opponents as them. The only opponent they’ve had in common so far is Evansville (the undisputed worst team), whom they’ve both beat.

As sportsdad mentioned, Bremner’s trades have been questionable. There’s no doubt we are playing a better system now than under Ftorek, but the talent evaluation seems about the same, and not at the level you see among the league’s elite.

Edited by Theoriginalalex

7 hours ago, sportsdad said:

We just got passed in the standings by an expansion team led in scoring by two of Bremner's biggest player moves. Moved Mueller and Bauer last season for Porter who is now coaching in a weak junior league and playing senior league in Canada. At least he got Bauer back. Mueller now leads the Storm in scoring. Great trade! Moved Bronner for nothing. How many majors did Bronner take? Great trade! Zach Tatrn has 5 points in 8 games with Fayetteville. There is plenty of skill on this team, but even the best manager has to coach once in a while. How much you want to bet we see more great trades? 

I don’t think losing Mueller was that big of a deal. He may be leading Quad City with 8 points but Roanoke has at least four players with more points. At the time the move made sense because Porter was a good physical player and I don’t think anyone could’ve predicted that he was going to hang it up.

I think the team currently has a lot of good players but they’re having trouble finding a rythem. I really like the Fox,Witzel, Jones line. I’d like to see them get some more time on the ice.