Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Greg81102

GDT - Macon @ Roanoke 12/01/18 7:05 pm et.

Game 2 of a two game home series against Macon after losing a hard fought 3-2 game last night.  Come out to The Berglund Center on Star Wars Night and support our Dawgs! Go Dawgs!!!

Game Day Central

Looks like Dion is going to escape with just the major and the game misconduct last night. Play disiplined please big guy.

11 minutes ago, RYDSPHLFAN said:

Looks like Dion is going to escape with just the major and the game misconduct last night. Play disiplined please big guy.

I hope so, unless they pull the suspend him for a game until they review it.  But if they look at the whole video the guy he got the penalty against was mugging him in front of the net.  Also probably saw all the bad calls the ref made with a no goal.  You have a ref like that is a big reason all this stuff starts happening.

Not even sure what to say about that game except Macon outplayed us like crazy.  I definately not seeing us as a top tier team.  We looked tired at the end of the game.  I really can't see us improving on that when we have a game against Birmingham Thursday then travel to Macon to play a rested Macon team Friday and Saturday.  This losing streak could start to get ugly.  Our home losing streak is getting that way!

I thought we played well tonight. Ruby is just reall good. We did outshoot them both nights. 

On a good note, Creel was released from Reading. I did like what I saw out of Myers tonight. He plays the puck well.

I'm pretty sure Andy McElman, Director of Officiating was in the off ice officials box the entire game tonight.

14 minutes ago, vicvegas said:

I'm pretty sure Andy McElman, Director of Officiating was in the off ice officials box the entire game tonight.

I personally can't believe that a league with any integrity would have the same ref officiating a game that he totally blew the night before on consecutive nights.  Just blows my mind.  Hope he caught how many times Macon snuck guys onto and off the ice after icing calls.  It was ridiculous.  Then to have a ref blow a call that bad in last nights game and just reward him with another game the next night is crazy.  Still have no clue how you can be staring into the back of the net the whole time and don't see a puck in it.  Worst refs ever.

I see it different. Everyone is down on the Dawgs, we just aren't on the same level with Macon right now. Macon has one of the best teams I have seen in 3 seasons in the SPHL. I think we will be alright. We just need to find a consistent lineup and stop having to bring new players in every week. Guyon going on IR has really hurt the team. I thought we outplayed Macon last night and deserved the win. Their goalie is pretty good and made some amazing saves last night. Tonight Macon deserved the win, I don't think we played bad just that Macon played better and took advantage of their Power Play opportunities.

• Like 2

I just don't understand what we are doing sometimes. Most teams come in with a system and a plan and then stick to it. It seems like we don't do that. We have poor puck control and passing, especially coming out of our d-zone. A lot of times we have guys that just fire the puck down the ice to no one, instead of trying to skate the puck. We need to shoot the puck! Guys are trying to move for a perfect shot instead of just shooting. Sometimes you have to be selfish and just shoot it as Guyon does.

I also agree with the sentiment about the refs sucking both games this past weekend. Robbed us a point last night. Don't waive off and obvious goal and it's a game going to OT.

31 minutes ago, RYDSPHLFAN said:

I thought we played well tonight. Ruby is just reall good. We did outshoot them both nights. 

On a good note, Creel was released from Reading. I did like what I saw out of Myers tonight. He plays the puck well.

I didn't really see that.  Last night I thought we played well and had many quality chances to score.  Tonight i didn't see much quality in any of the shots.  Our power play didn't look good and our penalty kill just lets them pass, pass, and pass until they get a good shot.  Macon attacks the player in their zone with the puck and disrupts the power play and passing lanes.  Only time we seem to look better is when Macon is up 3 goals and just trying to run the clock out.  I was disappointed in the game tonight myself.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

I personally can't believe that a league with any integrity would have the same ref officiating a game that he totally blew the night before on consecutive nights.

I get the frustration but I think you have unrealistic expectations for this league. Can’t just go pick up another one at the referee store. Calls get blown at every level, and the NHL, AHL, ECHL, college, Europe, whoever doesn’t redo the ref schedule on 21 hours notice for a team 3.5 hours away from the rest of the league because of one call. This stuff gets graded over the season and affects playoff assignment and future employment.

8 hours ago, PlayaHtr said:

Guyon going on IR has really hurt the team.

Said it last year when we acquired him, said it this offseason, said it when he went on IR: Guyon is the top talent on this team. I’m really surprised he didn’t go to an E camp this fall.

10 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

I personally can't believe that a league with any integrity would have the same ref officiating a game that he totally blew the night before on consecutive nights.  Just blows my mind.  Hope he caught how many times Macon snuck guys onto and off the ice after icing calls.  It was ridiculous.  Then to have a ref blow a call that bad in last nights game and just reward him with another game the next night is crazy.  Still have no clue how you can be staring into the back of the net the whole time and don't see a puck in it.  Worst refs ever.

Combs has always expressed the utmost opinion of the quality of officiating in this league. Bad reffing situations have been sent to the league for review, but seldom result in any action against the official. Maybe the next league president will be different.

8 hours ago, Theoriginalalex said:

I get the frustration but I think you have unrealistic expectations for this league. Can’t just go pick up another one at the referee store. Calls get blown at every level, and the NHL, AHL, ECHL, college, Europe, whoever doesn’t redo the ref schedule on 21 hours notice for a team 3.5 hours away from the rest of the league because of one call. This stuff gets graded over the season and affects playoff assignment and future employment.

Said it last year when we acquired him, said it this offseason, said it when he went on IR: Guyon is the top talent on this team. I’m really surprised he didn’t go to an E camp this fall.

Too much expectation for the league?  The guy is staring into the back of the net with nothing obscuring his view of inside the net and skating around it.  Calls a no goal with the puck sitting in the net as soon as our player shot it? It wasn't like it trickled in slowly and goalie never stopped it or had any control of it.  It wasn't like the puck went in and out of the net quickly without being seen.  It was setting in the net the whole time.  The ice is white and the puck is black.  That is the worst call i've seen in my life.  I don't think its unrealistic expectations to want a blatant goal called a goal.  If you can't make that correct call you shouldn't be an official. I can see missing bang bang calls but that is not one of those and anyone who calls themselves officials should never miss.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

Too much expectation for the league?

Didn’t mean the standard of officiating, I was referring to the idea that they have an extra referee whom they can just make appear on less than a day’s notice. If swapping out referees is what qualifies the league to have integrity, then there’s isn’t a hockey league with integrity on the planet.

I guess this comes back to my constant defense of the SPHL when people call it “bush league”. During my 25 years in Rochester/Buffalo, these kind of calls happened in those leagues too...until there was video review.

To clarify my position, I DO believe we should expect a higher standard of officiating, but I also DO believe the two ways to accomplish this are video review and a 2nd referee. I DON’T think it’s realistic to just bash SPHL referees when the league isn’t putting them in a position to succeed.

42 minutes ago, Theoriginalalex said:

Didn’t mean the standard of officiating, I was referring to the idea that they have an extra referee whom they can just make appear on less than a day’s notice. If swapping out referees is what qualifies the league to have integrity, then there’s isn’t a hockey league with integrity on the planet.

I guess this comes back to my constant defense of the SPHL when people call it “bush league”. During my 25 years in Rochester/Buffalo, these kind of calls happened in those leagues too...until there was video review.

To clarify my position, I DO believe we should expect a higher standard of officiating, but I also DO believe the two ways to accomplish this are video review and a 2nd referee. I DON’T think it’s realistic to just bash SPHL referees when the league isn’t putting them in a position to succeed.

Well if you think we should hold our refs to a higher standing, the first part of that should be removing guys who blow awful calls.  I never bash refs but there is no excuse how he could blow a call that bad.  Like I said this isn't a bad penalty he called which there was a few of those that night giving Macon a record number of powerplays they have ever had.  But to blow a call that bad and take a point or points from a team's standings.  Yea i believe they should have sent another ref here for the next night's game.  They shouldn't reward bad calls that are inexcusable with a game the next night and especially not with the same teams they blew the call with.  I really don't think thats asking too much.  Players do stuff and get suspended that sometimes isn't intentional.  So why is it so hard to believe that they can't do that in this league?  Most other professional sports you blow calls they suspend you or don't give you games.  Me personally would have rather heard Stevie Wonder as our ref in that 2nd game then Krasnichuk!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

You just did.

No way, obviously i was talking before now.  Its a lot different when they miss a split second call.  He had this call right in front of his eyes and still couldn't make the right call.

Where I was sitting I could not tell if the puck was in the net or not. The Goaltender reacted as if he did not know where it was himself. But the replay showed it was in the net. What I do not understand is why the referee did not confer with the goal judge who did cut the light on? What is the use to have them sit up there in a chair with their hand on the light button if the referee is not going to confer with what he saw? I can understand missing a call but the ref never asked the goal judge anything.  

1 hour ago, HaLLoW WoLF said:

Where I was sitting I could not tell if the puck was in the net or not. The Goaltender reacted as if he did not know where it was himself. But the replay showed it was in the net. What I do not understand is why the referee did not confer with the goal judge who did cut the light on? What is the use to have them sit up there in a chair with their hand on the light button if the referee is not going to confer with what he saw? I can understand missing a call but the ref never asked the goal judge anything.  

I can't ever recall seeing them talk to a goal judge in the SPHL.  You would think since no reviews they would use them more but I never see it happen.  My bigger question is how does he not see it from where he's standing?   Looks like the perfect angle with nothing to obscure his view.  He even skates around the back of the net.  Its like its an invisible puck!

45 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

I can't ever recall seeing them talk to a goal judge in the SPHL.  You would think since no reviews they would use them more but I never see it happen.  

The refs do on occasion here in Huntsville. 

8 minutes ago, hockeydoc said:

The refs do on occasion here in Huntsville. 

I think I can recall one time in Roanoke in our first season that the referee called the goal judge over to talk.  Thats one time in almost 2 and a half seasons.  

17 hours ago, HaLLoW WoLF said:

... What I do not understand is why the referee did not confer with the goal judge who did cut the light on? What is the use to have them sit up there in a chair with their hand on the light button if the referee is not going to confer with what he saw? I can understand missing a call but the ref never asked the goal judge anything.  

According to the SPHL Rulebook, Rule 31 - Referee defines the on-ice official's General Duties as follows ...

31.4 General Duties - It shall be the duty of the Referee to impose such penalties as are prescribed by the rules for infractions thereof and they shall give the final decision in matters of disputed goals. The Referee may consult with the Linesmen or Goal Judge before making his decision.

Rule 36 - Goal Judge describes that official's General Duties ...

36.1 General Duties - The Goal Judge shall signal, normally by means of red light, a decision as to whether the puck passed between the goal posts and entirely over the goal line. The only decision is whether the puck actually entered the net, not how or when it went in. The light must be illuminated for a period of five (5) seconds each time the puck enters the net regardless of circumstances.  It is up to the Referee to decide if it is a goal.

• Thanks 1

I clearly know the duties of the referee and the goal judge. And your explanation of the duties does prove what I am saying is correct. The referee was clearly out of position to see it clearly when the shot was made but the ref made his way to the rear of the goal and was peering into the net as the goalie then fell back into the net and covered the puck which was already lying inside the net. Obviously the goal judge saw it lying there when he cut the the light on well before the referee came behind the goal. My point still is that since the referee was befuddled and out of position it was really odd he never questioned the goal judge at all as to what he saw. In most cases when a referee disallows a goal in which the red light was turned on is because the referee definitively saw that the puck did not go into the net. Maybe the referee never saw the light come on and as well he could not see the puck lying within the goal as he looked through the net. In any manner the replay shows it is a  certainty that referee  got this the call wrong.