Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
SJSharkies4ever

2018-19 Power Rankings

This will be the first week in which I release a weekly power rankings and strength of schedule for the SPHL. This thread is open for discussion.

POWER RANKINGS
RANK PRV TEAM RECORD
1 -- Macon Mayhem 12-2-2
2 -- Birmingham Bulls 13-2-0
3 -- Knoxville Ice Bears 6-5-2
4 -- Peoria Rivermen 9-1-3
5 -- Fayetteville Marksmen 7-6-2
6 -- Pensacola Ice Flyers 4-8-2
7 -- Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs 6-8-0
8 -- Quad City Storm 5-7-1
9 -- Huntsville Havoc 6-6-1
10 -- Evansville Thunderbolts 3-12-1

STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE
RANK PRV TEAM RECORD
1 -- Pensacola Ice Flyers 4-8-2
2 -- Evansville Thunderbolts 3-12-1
3 -- Fayetteville Marksmen 7-6-2
4 -- Quad City Storm 5-7-1
5 -- Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs 6-8-0
6 -- Knoxville Ice Bears 6-5-2
7 -- Huntsville Havoc 6-6-1
8 -- Macon Mayhem 12-2-2
9 -- Birmingham Bulls 13-2-0
10 -- Peoria Rivermen 9-1-3
  • Like 1

Hard to argue with these power rankings but I'll give it a go. I'd give the Bulls the #1 spot for no other reason 13-1 looks pretty sweet. I might give FAY the nod over PEO for 4th given they went 3-0-1 against them so far and the PEO 10th place rank in Strength of Sch. in the balance of their games (mostly QDC & EVV).  IMO Quad City and Fayetteville are the upside surprise teams of the 1st quarter.  It seems most of the pickers picked them to finish 9th and 10th.  I'd say Roanoke and Pensacola are the surprises on the downside so far with an honorable mention to Huntsville.  Long way to go yet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Make Marky GM said:

Hard to argue with these power rankings but I'll give it a go. I'd give the Bulls the #1 spot for no other reason 13-1 looks pretty sweet. I might give FAY the nod over PEO for 4th given they went 3-0-1 against them so far and the PEO 10th place rank in Strength of Sch. in the balance of their games (mostly QDC & EVV).  IMO Quad City and Fayetteville are the upside surprise teams of the 1st quarter.  It seems most of the pickers picked them to finish 9th and 10th.  I'd say Roanoke and Pensacola are the surprises on the downside so far with an honorable mention to Huntsville.  Long way to go yet.

Nice argument. The key component in Macon barely edging out Birmingham for the top spot in the power rankings is their SOS. Macon has had a tougher schedule thus far than that of Birmingham. Up until Macon and B'ham battled, B'ham's toughest opponent had been Huntsville. With B'ham and Macon splitting a decision in the two times they have met so far, Macon does edge out Birmingham in the rankings.

Macon's combined opponents' records are 28-33-7 (.463), whereas Birmingham is 18-33-5 (.366)

Does that help explain the Macon-Birmingham situation a bit?

By the way, is that the concept for the new Fayetteville stadium?

• Like 1

"Does that help explain the Macon-Birmingham situation a bit?"

Yes,  it'll be interesting to see how B'ham fares against an above .500 team this weekend.

"By the way, is that the concept for the new Fayetteville stadium?"

Yes it is.