Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

MacGuy

1:00pm Game Time Today

Early start time did not help them they were tired and had no time to get their legs back

6 hours ago, SASRACE said:

Early start time did not help them they were tired and had no time to get their legs back

Yep.  Killed attendance (admittedly it was still well above the league average).  Hopefully, they won’t pander to Alabama fans again in the future.

7 hours ago, SASRACE said:

For the record, these conditions applied to both teams.

1 minute ago, JMC-STL said:

For the record, these conditions applied to both teams.

Not entirely.  Huntsville was completing a 3-in-3.  Thursday night was a road game with all too little sleep on the bus home from Pensacola.  By Saturday afternoon it caught up with them.

33 minutes ago, TwistedBrass said:

Not entirely.  Huntsville was completing a 3-in-3.  Thursday night was a road game with all too little sleep on the bus home from Pensacola.  By Saturday afternoon it caught up with them.

Point taken.  Thanks for weighing in.

On 12/30/2018 at 7:35 PM, AuburnAL said:

Yep.  Killed attendance (admittedly it was still well above the league average).  Hopefully, they won’t pander to Alabama fans again in the future.

Are you assuming that the attendance would have been higher if they played during the Alabama game?

On 12/30/2018 at 1:00 PM, SASRACE said:

But the beer was only $3.

1 hour ago, fred said:

Are you assuming that the attendance would have been higher if they played during the Alabama game?

Maybe.  The night games usually are better attended.  My main issue was alienating a lot of their fanbase by promoting the game on social media as being for Alabama fans,

2 hours ago, fred said:

But the beer was only $3.

And rumor has it that Coach Trudel had several cups per player & staff delivered to the Havoc bench before this game.  Who says us Northerners ain't nice folks?  :thumbsup:

I thought the same thing too probably not a wise move to just promote Alabama

10 hours ago, AuburnAL said:

... My main issue was alienating a lot of their fanbase by promoting the game on social media as being for Alabama fans,

5 hours ago, SASRACE said:

I thought the same thing too probably not a wise move to just promote Alabama

Seems like a smart marketing move to me.  Reach out to a presumably untapped market segment, introduce them to an entertainment product that might strike the fancy of some percentage of prospective repeat visitors, AND put logo hats on the heads of all of them to wear around town & draw more attention to the team.  If any current hockey fans are "alienated" by their team working to keep the game relevant & thriving in their hometown with a one-time holiday season promo, I'm not sure that's the sorta fan base I'd want to cater to anyway.

3 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

Seems like a smart marketing move to me.  Reach out to a presumably untapped market segment, introduce them to an entertainment product that might strike the fancy of some percentage of prospective repeat visitors, AND put logo hats on the heads of all of them to wear around town & draw more attention to the team.  If any current hockey fans are "alienated" by their team working to keep the game relevant & thriving in their hometown with a one-time holiday season promo, I'm not sure that's the sorta fan base I'd want to cater to anyway.

And alienate non-fans who aren’t Alabama fans which is probably a higher portion of the population in Huntsville than the rest of the state (possibly especially among the potential hockey fans)

I despise Alabama, but even if I didn’t I can’t be the only one in Huntsville who remembers Alabama trying to kill UAH’s hockey program like they did UAB’s football program.   Mayor Battle basically had to come out with the local business leaders and the congressional delegation with the threat to get UAH removed from Alabama’s bailiwick if they continued to try interfering with one of the city’s distinctive features just to find money to pay their football coach.

5 hours ago, AuburnAL said:

And alienate non-fans who aren’t Alabama fans which is probably a higher portion of the population in Huntsville than the rest of the state (possibly especially among the potential hockey fans)

I despise Alabama, but even if I didn’t I can’t be the only one in Huntsville who remembers Alabama trying to kill UAH’s hockey program like they did UAB’s football program.   Mayor Battle basically had to come out with the local business leaders and the congressional delegation with the threat to get UAH removed from Alabama’s bailiwick if they continued to try interfering with one of the city’s distinctive features just to find money to pay their football coach.

I don't know about despising Alabama, but me and the other 299 people who go to UAH games were pretty upset at the prospect of losing them. 

Also I'm thinking that your hockey fans in Huntsville are not Alabama football fans hypothesis just might be flawed.

3 hours ago, fred said:

Also I'm thinking that your hockey fans in Huntsville are not Alabama football fans hypothesis just might be flawed.

I can speak for one who is not.  

My thesis is basically this.  You are alienating Auburn fans by running such an ad.  You are alienating Tennessee fans by running such an ad.  There’s a reason large companies such as car manufacturers and restaurant chains make ads and other marketing devices aimed at multiple fanbases when they choose to wade into this.

There are a significant number of transplants in Huntsville who do not care about Alabama who this ad will not reach.  On average they may be more likely to want to go to a game than an Alabama fan, but they are not going to spoken to by this ad (and may well be turned away by it).

12 hours ago, AuburnAL said:

just to find money to pay their football coach

It takes a little while for things to register now days. But I believe the Alabama football program probably makes a dollar or two even aver having to pay the coach.

8 hours ago, fred said:

I don't know about despising Alabama, but me and the other 299 people who go to UAH games were pretty upset at the prospect of losing them. 

That number is not far off, it is a shame it is that way but I told some of the Blue Line Club members they will not have the crowds they used to have until they get colleges that people know to come in here and play.

14 minutes ago, fred said:

I really thought being in the WCHA would help. We are seeing some future NHL'ers.

U.S. hockey fans' heads don't work that way.  Tier I junior teams (USHL) always tout themselves as being one step away from "The Show," but very few fans at that level are attracted to the game in their hometown simply to see future professional hockey stars-in-waiting play.  And even if you & your 299 friends thought differently, it'd be one helluva long shot to ever see a former UAH player make an NHL roster.  I could find no evidence of any doing so to date, nor even evidence of current or recent players being invited to NHL development camps.

21 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

it'd be one helluva long shot to ever see a former UAH player make an NHL roster.  I could find no evidence of any doing so to date, nor even evidence of current or recent players being invited to NHL development camps.

8 minutes ago, TwistedBrass said:

Well, there's Cam Talbot, the starting goalie for the Edmonton Oilers.  🤔

@JMC-STL, @TwistedBrass Image result for gotcha emoticon