Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
JMC-STL

THW's "Top 10 Best Ice Hockey Leagues"

Top 10 Best Ice Hockey Leagues

Have you ever wondered if there are hockey leagues that rival the NHL in terms of talent, viewership, and fan-base? Well, if you have, then this segment should be just for you.

It is widely known that players from around the world flock to the NHL for a chance to win Lord Stanley’s Cup and play on possibly the biggest hockey stages around North America. However, hockey is not a phenomenon that is exclusive solely to North America as many European leagues such as the SEL, KHL, and SM-liiga showing that they are quite adept at developing talented hockey players that can succeed at any level.

Here’s a breakdown of the top 10 best hockey leagues around the world ...

Read more at: https://thehockeywriters.com/top-10-best-ice-hockey-leagues/

I'm sure it was #11, with the FHL nipping at their blades.  I'd expect nothing less (nor more) from a blogger who ranks the OHL & the AHL lower than several Euro leagues in hockey talent development.  <_<

Yeah I feel like there might be a big drop off after the KHL.  You see teams leaving other European leagues for the KHL even though every team outside of China has to have 90% of its players from the country it is in.  I think one KHL team has gone back to a Euro league.

3 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

I'm sure it was #11, with the FHL nipping at their blades.  I'd expect nothing less (nor more) from a blogger who ranks the OHL & the AHL lower than several Euro leagues in hockey talent development.  <_<

11?  The ECHL wasn't even on the list so keep on going.  But you're right about the league rankings.  I've always heard 1. NHL  2. KHL. 3. AHL  after thats usually where everyone's opinions start taking over.  I would definately disagree with this opinion.  I have a hard time putting 2 European leagues above the AHL.  Much less 4 different European leagues better than the AHL.  The best thing is how they start it:  "Here's a breakdown of the top 10 best hockey leagues around the world..."  Like this is all set in stone and not just an opinion.

10 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

... The best thing is how they start it:  "Here's a breakdown of the top 10 best hockey leagues around the world..."  Like this is all set in stone and not just an opinion.

Standard blogger-speak.  I simply posted this as a distraction to the mid-week SPHL chat doldrums here.  It did the job intended.  Thanks to all for playing along.  :hockey: