Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

vicvegas

Future Considerations

Does anyone think that maybe with the challenge round playoff format we may see (not that we would ever hear about it) teams trading players in exchange for a team not taking (or maybe even taking) them in the challenge round?

2 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

There's a trade deadline that is well before the playoffs even begin, plus playoff rosters have to be in before the playoffs begin, so what you are positing is impossible to occur. 

I understand all of that, and I understand that final seeding is still far from being determined. But a team has a general idea by the trade deadline whether they will be top 3 or 5-8. I mean we are still quite a ways from the trade deadline and I can pretty much tell you Roanoke has little chance of cracking the top 3 but is, barring a complete breakdown, going to make the playoffs. So if we had a top 3 team that has pretty much owned us all season could we make a trade for F.C.s to that team in exchange for them promising not to pick us in the challenge round?

Would it be a conspiracy if it were allowed? I guess that is part of my question, with some of the things that I have heard have been used to fulfill FC trades, are there limits as to what those FCs can be and do they have to be reported to the league?

1 hour ago, vicvegas said:

Would it be a conspiracy if it were allowed? I guess that is part of my question, with some of the things that I have heard have been used to fulfill FC trades, are there limits as to what those FCs can be and do they have to be reported to the league?

I guess you can't say 100% that it couldn't happen, but I think future considerations trades are made more for sending your player to a team you want them to go to instead of releasing them and going to a team that can hurt you.  Like Bronner and Creel, we sent Bronner to QC and Creel to Macon.  Play QC 3 times all year and we are done playing Macon.  From what i've seen most of them turn out being no where close for trade value.  Like we sent Bronner to QC and than got Troy Henley for him a couple weeks later and he dressed for one game then was cut.  I doubt coaches are out there making trades to not pick someone in the playoffs for a player.  Saying that though, i guess its not a guarantee that some coach isn't sneaky enough to try it.

These FC trades could be anything and be completed at anytime. Some go unannounced as completed if its cash.....there could be a "player named at a later time", "hotel bill" (PEO/FAY; Rank trade)......I've seen FC trades be completed within weeks of announcement and some wait til the offseason to be completed [FAY received (D) Shapiro from PEN (Dec. of the season), (FAY sent a player during following offseason)].......

2 hours ago, vicvegas said:

I forgot to answer part of your question.  I don't think it would it would be a conspiracy since the league gives you the option to pick who you're going to be playing in the first place.  It might be unfair to some people but its their choice one way or the other which team they pick. I wouldn't see it as illegal but i'm sure if many found out it happened there might be a lot of heat about it.

If this conspiracy is true, hopefully Roanoke sending Creel to Macon was actually a bribe for the Mayhem TO pick Dawgs in the challenge round. I’ll take our chances against them.