Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

SJSharkies4ever

Has anyone noticed? .......

That Huntsville is on their way to breaking the attendance record for a third straight year? I know this could go in the Havoc forum, but I figured it called also be classified as just SPHL League stuff too because it will be news worthy again.

The Havoc are averaging 5,206 per game right now. Even if they dropped off to about 5,000 or even to 4,500 from here on out, they will still break the attendance record for a third straight year.

How is Huntsville such a draw, where other teams are not so much? I don't think majority of those numbers are comped tickets.

2 hours ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

.. I don't think majority of those numbers are comped tickets.

But you don't know how many are, I presume?  Numbers that high beg scrutiny for minor-pro hockey fans who have seen more cooked books than Fahrenheit 451.

I'm with Oldcat on the "longer history of local hockey" being a noteworthy contributor, but I doubt the "more discretionary income" part of his premise.  According to the 2018 Forbes list of "Best Places for Business and Careers," Peoria has a slightly higher median household income and a significantly lower cost-of-living.  Peoria has 47 uninterrupted seasons of semi-pro & pro hockey vs. 26 mostly contiguous years for Hu'ville.  And Peoria metro has far fewer public attractions on which to spend discretionary funds that Huntsville does, though admittedly that difference could be cultural more than economic.

According to the same Forbes report, Davenport, Iowa (Quad Cities) has similar economic advantages (lower median housing cost, cost-of-living comparable to Peoria) and they've had pro hockey for almost as long as Huntsville.  So there's gotta be more going on than a deep hockey history & money to burn on tickets and concessions.

5 hours ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

How is Huntsville such a draw, where other teams are not so much? I don't think majority of those numbers are comped tickets.

See Mac's comment.

5 hours ago, Oldcat said:

A longer history of local hockey and more discretionary income.

Yes and probably not- see JMC's comment. 

3 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

But you don't know how many are, I presume?  Numbers that high beg scrutiny for minor-pro hockey fans who have seen more cooked books than Fahrenheit 451.

Very very few if any tickets are now comp'ed. Corporate sponsors and groups buy their tix nowadays, per front office. Doc

• Thanks 1

Good sponsors go a long ways too.  Advance Auto Parts made so many tickets for $5 and they paid the rest.  Was the biggest attendance night for us this season so far.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Good sponsors go a long ways too.  Advance Auto Parts made so many tickets for $5 and they paid the rest.  Was the biggest attendance night for us this season so far.  

That's what John Deere did for many years up in Quad Cities.  Gave them their biggest crowds twice a year.  Not sure how involved they are now with the new league.

Local support in multiple forms must have taken a big hit in Peoria as well - what with landing in the SPHL after climbing all the way to the AHL through the years.

I can tell you what happened at Huntsville I think, when the team started they had to give out comps to get the fans to go and in some instances to get them back after so many hockey debacles in Huntsville.  Well that crowd that was coming in free, they were the hardcore fighting type crowd all they wanted to see was a fight every period and drink beer and that crowd has gone now and we are a military and government town and many people move here from other parts of the country and they have basically run the true fighting fans away and that is when the crowds really went up.

I can tell you this I date back to the Huntsville Blast days and all the way till now and during the Channel Cats and early Havoc year we had as many as 15-20 at each game, now we are down to 3-4.  Over the year they dropped off because of no fighting and it is too cleaned up and that is not for them.

So I think what happened in Huntsville is you got rid of one demographic of people and now have a new demographics and they are willing to spend money, the earlier demographic was looking for the free stuff and fights

Also, attendance numbers include everybody i.n building that night not just tickets scanned

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MacGuy said:

Local support in multiple forms must have taken a big hit in Peoria as well - what with landing in the SPHL after climbing all the way to the AHL through the years.

AHL attendance figures in PEO were definitely higher than even the highest reported SPHL numbers.  But they're still a solid third in SPHL attendance this season.  In the end, all of the League's teams would trade their draw for what Hu'ville has built.  :notworthy:

How has this topic drifted from me posting about Huntsville is on their third breaking the league attendance in a row to referencing ECHL and all the other stuff? 

The topic was meant to expose the Havoc on their way to setting a new attendance record for the 3rd year in a row, and a discussion about what makes them a good draw, when you see other franchise floundering in the 2k's?

I'm locking this thread just because it has drifted way off topic.

• Haha 1

Huntsville typically puts a good product on the ice, their facility is nice, they are well managed, and they have a community that supports hockey. Shouldn't be a real surprise, especially since they are not competing with a close neighbor with college football or basketball.  Only competition is UAH hockey.  I venture a guess that that those two things are actually complementary and not in competition with one another in many cases.

On 2/2/2019 at 10:23 AM, SASRACE said:

I can tell you what happened at Huntsville I think, when the team started they had to give out comps to get the fans to go and in some instances to get them back after so many hockey debacles in Huntsville.  Well that crowd that was coming in free, they were the hardcore fighting type crowd all they wanted to see was a fight every period and drink beer and that crowd has gone now and we are a military and government town and many people move here from other parts of the country and they have basically run the true fighting fans away and that is when the crowds really went up.

I can tell you this I date back to the Huntsville Blast days and all the way till now and during the Channel Cats and early Havoc year we had as many as 15-20 at each game, now we are down to 3-4.  Over the year they dropped off because of no fighting and it is too cleaned up and that is not for them.

So I think what happened in Huntsville is you got rid of one demographic of people and now have a new demographics and they are willing to spend money, the earlier demographic was looking for the free stuff and fights

Also, attendance numbers include everybody i.n building that night not just tickets scanned

Ya that's it. If every team would quit fighting their attendance would probably quadruple. Plus the increase would all be much more refined fans with more money to spend on Hot dogs and Soda.

1 hour ago, fred said:

... Plus the increase would all be much more refined fans with more money to spend on Hot dogs and Soda.

And more beer ... with their credit cards ...

9 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

And more beer ... with their credit cards ...

No, the knucklehead said we got rid of the unrefined beer drinkers along with the fans of the fights.

1 hour ago, fred said:

No, the knucklehead said we got rid of the unrefined beer drinkers along with the fans of the fights.

And so you've been given your new title: "The Last of the Unrefined Beer Drinkers."  You're like a dinosaur in training for a Twelve-Step program.beer.gif

1 hour ago, fred said:

1. That was @SASRACE who posted- I thought I was your only beloved "knucklehead". 2. I guess you are a refined beer drinker, especially on $2 beer nights, since the "unrefined beer drinkers" have been gotten rid of. 

4 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

And so you've been given your new title: "The Last of the Unrefined Beer Drinkers."  You're like a dinosaur in training for a Twelve-Step program.beer.gif

And it doesn't hurt my feelings if there is a scrap or two either.

Edited by fred

1 hour ago, fred said:

And it doesn't hurt my feelings if there is a scrap or two either.

Especially in the beer line...............as long as they roll outta your way...............:angryplayers:

• Haha 2

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:42 PM, Carey Mahoney said:

... Only competition is UAH hockey.  I venture a guess that that those two things are actually complementary and not in competition with one another in many cases.

As witnessed by this announcement, which was not the first this season ...

I am not familiar with the SPHL markets. Does youth hockey and the strength if it play a role in attendance in SPHL markets? 

5 hours ago, El18 said:

Does youth hockey and the strength if it play a role in attendance in SPHL markets? 

Quite possibly the effect is stronger in the opposite direction.  Kids go to a few local college and pro games and announce to their parents that they want to play hockey, too.  The teams, scenting an opportunity, lend their names, logos, and possibly some cash to local rink programs.  That leads to things like Junior Chargers, Junior Havoc, and Junior Ice Bears, along with summer camps and clinics coached by favorite team players.

A strong SPHL team can foster a strong local youth hockey program, which can turn around and help push up local attendance.  After all, the kids like to hang out with their tribes at the games.  But while youth hockey promotes a core group of fans and gives the teams an attendance bump, I doubt it's a dominant factor in the markets.

There is a nice road system to funnel folks from the Shoals to Chattanooga to Huntsville.  That’s three metro areas large enough to support an SPHL franchise with only one franchise between them.  The Shoals are closer to Huntsville than Birmingham by quite a bit, and Chattanooga I think would be about 30 minutes closer to Huntsville than Knoxville with the drive being a bit easier since it is flat most of the way.

Also depending on your tastes there isn’t much to do in Huntsville, and I think the Havoc sort of fill that void a little bit.