Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Greg81102

GDT - Evansville @ Roanoke 2/2/19 7:05pm et.

The Dawgs take on Evansville for the second night in a row after winning 4-1 on Friday Night.  It will be Superhero Night so everyone can dress up as their favorite superhero.  They will have activities for kids starting at 5:30 pm et.

Before Game Activities

Also our Dawgs will be wearing specialty superhero jerseys that will be auctioned off after the game.

Superhero Jerseys

Come out and support our Dawgs as they try to extend their point streak to 6 games!  Go Dawgs!

Did anyone else see Bremner walk off the ice? Man, he was pissed! I would love to know what he said to the team after the game. 

There was no reason for Roanoke to lose that game. Is Evansville that bad of a team? I know their record would say so but do they have a tough schedule since they’re closer to Peoria? I didn’t think they looked like a last place team, they were definitely better than the Dawgs during the Ftorek days!

That one is really hard to try and swallow.  We needed 4 points this weekend and failed.  No killer instinct so far i've found with this team.  Looked like we let up being up by one in the 3rd and let them crawl right back into the game.  Not until they tied the game did we play like we should have again. My biggest disappointment is the physicality.  You're playing a last place team with 5 wins and playing with a roster of 13 players.  12 most of the second period until D'Volio came back out.  You would think you would get more physical with them to wear them down but I didn't see that.  You also have them wanting to push you around, why not play that way right back and drop the gloves to get someone else in the box to play short.  Then have Nick Wright go after your captain that is probably 6 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier?  No excuse for that especially when Nick Wright jumped in for one of his teammates.  For the crowd and how many players we had more than them, I thought we didn't play physical like we should have.  We dominated them and their goalie played great but no way they should have been in that game to beat us.  They gave up lots of shots but they did their job on cleaning the rebounds out from in front of the net.  We didn't do that.  With the few shots they got both of their goals were off rebounds.  Seems we have a hard time winning on specialty jersey nights and games with lots of fans.  We are coming down to the final couple months in the season, we need to find out ways to win games.  Especially the games we should win like this one.  Very disappointing!

Sorry going to be real now. I don't care about excuses. At the beginning of the year I thought this would be the toughest team we've had in 3 years, that is showing to not be the case game after game. I see our players taking cheap shots, goalie's being run into at times and tonight our captain gets jumped and nobody comes to their defense. We dominated this game tonight and still found a way to lose. After Wright jumped Mele, you could see the tide of the game turn and Evansville turn up the physical play even more and the only one on our team that hit anything and wasn't scared to hit anyone was Miska. Time to make some moves this week, some of the players on the team have become too complacent and don't seemed worried about their place on the team. Yeah I'm pissed and over reacting about that part but right now I don't see how many of the top teams would be scared to play us in the playoffs.

Edited by PlayaHtr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Canucks13 said:

Did anyone else see Bremner walk off the ice? Man, he was pissed! I would love to know what he said to the team after the game. 

There was no reason for Roanoke to lose that game. Is Evansville that bad of a team? I know their record would say so but do they have a tough schedule since they’re closer to Peoria? I didn’t think they looked like a last place team, they were definitely better than the Dawgs during the Ftorek days!

Looks like we may never know.  Roanoke Times usually gets some quotes but not tonight.

Roanoke Times

2 minutes ago, PlayaHtr said:

Sorry going to be real now. I don't care about excuses. At the beginning of the year I thought this would be the toughest team we've had in 3 years, that is showing to be not the case game after game. I see out players taking cheap shots, goalie's being run into at times and tonight our captain gets jumped and nobody comes to their defense. We dominated this game tonight and still found a way to lose. After Wright jumped Mele, you could see the tide of the game turn and Evansville turn up the physical play even more and the only on on our team that hit anything and wasn't scared to hit anyone was Miska. Time to make some moves this week, some of the players on the team have become to complacent and don't seemed worried about their place on the team. Yeah I'm pissed and over reacting about that part but right now I don't see how many of the top teams would be scared to place us in the playoffs.

I'm right there with you.  Except i'd throw in Mele with Miska as both being the only physical players that waste no chance for a check.  I can't look past Wright jumping on Mele with nobody to stand up for him.  If Mele started something with Wright I could look past it.  But to let their biggest goon jump on top of your captain when he is in a scrum with a whole different person is inexcusable.  A team that is already down 3 and 4 people you should let them implode and get under their skin.  Really missing my man Economos.  He really knew how to push players buttons.  Economos had a powerplay goal last night and two powerplay goals tonight.  Dylan Fox had a goal and assist tonight.  Cam Bakker also had an assist.  Nice seeing our players doing well in the ECHL.

I had to go back and edit my post LOL, I was so mad and just typing away I had about 4 or 5 words to your credit knew what I was saying anyway.😂

8 minutes ago, PlayaHtr said:

I had to go back and edit my post LOL, I was so mad and just typing away I had about 4 or 5 words to your credit knew what I was saying anyway.😂

I got what you're saying and agree.  Almost 2/3 of the season gone now and if players aren't doing what Bremner wants from them by now its probably not going to happen.  From what he says, he wants a team that is physical and plays the game chippy.  Well I can say I haven't been seeing it.  Like you said, it seems players have got complacent here.  Need something to light a fire inside them to make them want to play like you want them.  If not some moves do need to be made.  

Roanoke looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane. Well, at least the boys over in Salem wont have to worry about a deep playoff run effecting attendance over there. There is no acceptable excuse for Saturday's performance.

6 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Seems we have a hard time winning on specialty jersey nights and games with lots of fans.

Greg, I thought of you and your similar comment from January after this loss. 1-4 now in those games. Looks like there’s one more jersey to go, on Feb 16 (website says 17th but that must be a typo). If Friday was “everybody wins” night, I suppose the 16th will be “guaranteed loss” night.

Cody Dion has even quit playing physical for some reason and last night was terrible

11 hours ago, Theoriginalalex said:

Greg, I thought of you and your similar comment from January after this loss. 1-4 now in those games. Looks like there’s one more jersey to go, on Feb 16 (website says 17th but that must be a typo). If Friday was “everybody wins” night, I suppose the 16th will be “guaranteed loss” night.

Not sure what it is.  They either get shell shocked from the big crowds or forget what jersey our team is wearing. 😂

Dion probably doesn't play as physical anymore because he was getting a ton of penalties and Bremner probably dogged him about it, so he's almost kind of careful now. Of course, I thought we got Dion for his grit, but he's actually remarkably skilled as well. He's made some killer moves that I never thought a guy with his size and reputation could do. Mele has really dropped off this year though, BUT he's at least playing a nice fast, physical brand of hockey that Bremner wants. I'm not exactly sure what happened the other night, but that game should have been 7-1. Missing guaranteed scoring chances like they did just makes you face palm. I think the worst one was when Thompson made that killer play to split the defenders, got a partial breakaway, beat the goaltender, and then MISSED THE WIDE OPEN NET. SERIOUSLY. Why can't we finish plays off?