Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

SASRACE

Teams moving to other leagues

I see in future where ECHL may be looking into the Huntsville market too good a crowd-drawing machine for the ECHL to not make a run at them

1 hour ago, SASRACE said:

I see in future where ECHL may be looking into the Huntsville market too good a crowd-drawing machine for the ECHL to not make a run at them

If they can convince the Havoc brass that it's worth doubling the team budget perhaps.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SASRACE said:

7 hours ago, Aceface905 said:

If they can convince the Havoc brass that it's worth doubling the team budget perhaps.

Not gonna happen. As y'all know, Huntsville was in the old CHL. Current ownership and staff are quite pleased with where they are today, in the SPHL with its budget and business model. Doc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SASRACE said:

It wouldn’t be a thread about the business of minor pro hockey without an “___ team should go to ___ league” scenario based on nothing except attendance numbers. Waiting now for the inevitable “Carolina Thunderbirds to the SPHL” discussion...

1 hour ago, Theoriginalalex said:

... Waiting now for the inevitable “Carolina Thunderbirds to the SPHL” discussion...

That thread has been languishing for months.  If only the SPHL had an All-Star break, it would be the perfect conversation re-starter for bored hockey fans.

ETA: And this one could easily stir those embers.

There are more teams looking to move from the ECHL to the SPHL than the other way around.  The business model is much more attractive.

11 minutes ago, Carey Mahoney said:

There are more teams looking to move from the ECHL to the SPHL than the other way around.  The business model is much more attractive.

This is a much truer statement than the other way around. I honestly believe in 2 or 3 years we will see an SPHL franchise in both Richmond and Norfolk. Norfolk has to be losing a ton of money with their attendance and the cost of the league budget in the ECHL. Roanoke averaging 3,000 fans a game back in the early 2000's wasn't enough. I had been told the last 3 season in the ECHL the Express had lost $700K.  And when they merged with the WCHL and the Express were told they would have to make a 3 week trip out west once every other season it was a wrap.

I know it's been a while but is the break even point with attendance still around 2,200 paying fans in the SPHL??

On 2/3/2019 at 1:33 PM, Carey Mahoney said:

I think you are right, but I don't see some of them making the move because of ego's

On 2/3/2019 at 1:53 PM, PlayaHtr said:

This is a much truer statement than the other way around. I honestly believe in 2 or 3 years we will see an SPHL franchise in both Richmond and Norfolk. Norfolk has to be losing a ton of money with their attendance and the cost of the league budget in the ECHL. Roanoke averaging 3,000 fans a game back in the early 2000's wasn't enough. I had been told the last 3 season in the ECHL the Express had lost $700K.  And when they merged with the WCHL and the Express were told they would have to make a 3 week trip out west once every other season it was a wrap.

I know it's been a while but is the break even point with attendance still around 2,200 paying fans in the SPHL??

The Western teams paid for the travel of the non Western teams, for 10 years. Western teams failed and once the contract expired, the Eastern teams no longer wanted to play the Western teams. I have no clue what is going on now that the AHL has taken Western teams.

On 2/7/2019 at 3:39 PM, Captain_Crosscheck said:

I have no clue what is going on now that the AHL has taken Western teams.

I don’t have inside knowledge, but I can provide some educated guesses from following the league closely. For one, the Pacific division teams have never played anyone from the Eastern conference. The Eastern teams only ever cross over against the Central division teams. Second, the Central teams have to fly regularly anyway within their own division, so a flight or two out to California is not too much different than their annual Texas and Manitoba flight(s). And third, each opponent is played an equal number of times home and away. While the league requires that you play all division opponents, I believe all out-of-division play is by mutual agreement of the teams, since each one has to agree to travel to the other’s barn.