Jump to content

Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

  • Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here


SASRACE

Teams moving to other leagues

Recommended Posts

I see in future where ECHL may be looking into the Huntsville market too good a crowd-drawing machine for the ECHL to not make a run at them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SASRACE said:

I see in future where ECHL may be looking into the Huntsville market too good a crowd-drawing machine for the ECHL to not make a run at them

If they can convince the Havoc brass that it's worth doubling the team budget perhaps.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SASRACE said:

I see in future where ECHL may be looking into the Huntsville market too good a crowd-drawing machine for the ECHL to not make a run at them

 

7 hours ago, Aceface905 said:

If they can convince the Havoc brass that it's worth doubling the team budget perhaps.

Not gonna happen. As y'all know, Huntsville was in the old CHL. Current ownership and staff are quite pleased with where they are today, in the SPHL with its budget and business model. Doc

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SASRACE said:

I see in future where ECHL may be looking into the Huntsville market too good a crowd-drawing machine for the ECHL to not make a run at them

It wouldn’t be a thread about the business of minor pro hockey without an “___ team should go to ___ league” scenario based on nothing except attendance numbers. Waiting now for the inevitable “Carolina Thunderbirds to the SPHL” discussion...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Theoriginalalex said:

... Waiting now for the inevitable “Carolina Thunderbirds to the SPHL” discussion...

That thread has been languishing for months.  If only the SPHL had an All-Star break, it would be the perfect conversation re-starter for bored hockey fans.

ETA: And this one could easily stir those embers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are more teams looking to move from the ECHL to the SPHL than the other way around.  The business model is much more attractive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Carey Mahoney said:

There are more teams looking to move from the ECHL to the SPHL than the other way around.  The business model is much more attractive.

This is a much truer statement than the other way around. I honestly believe in 2 or 3 years we will see an SPHL franchise in both Richmond and Norfolk. Norfolk has to be losing a ton of money with their attendance and the cost of the league budget in the ECHL. Roanoke averaging 3,000 fans a game back in the early 2000's wasn't enough. I had been told the last 3 season in the ECHL the Express had lost $700K.  And when they merged with the WCHL and the Express were told they would have to make a 3 week trip out west once every other season it was a wrap.

I know it's been a while but is the break even point with attendance still around 2,200 paying fans in the SPHL??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2019 at 1:33 PM, Carey Mahoney said:

There are more teams looking to move from the ECHL to the SPHL than the other way around.  The business model is much more attractive.

I think you are right, but I don't see some of them making the move because of ego's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2019 at 1:53 PM, PlayaHtr said:

This is a much truer statement than the other way around. I honestly believe in 2 or 3 years we will see an SPHL franchise in both Richmond and Norfolk. Norfolk has to be losing a ton of money with their attendance and the cost of the league budget in the ECHL. Roanoke averaging 3,000 fans a game back in the early 2000's wasn't enough. I had been told the last 3 season in the ECHL the Express had lost $700K.  And when they merged with the WCHL and the Express were told they would have to make a 3 week trip out west once every other season it was a wrap.

I know it's been a while but is the break even point with attendance still around 2,200 paying fans in the SPHL??

The Western teams paid for the travel of the non Western teams, for 10 years. Western teams failed and once the contract expired, the Eastern teams no longer wanted to play the Western teams. I have no clue what is going on now that the AHL has taken Western teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2019 at 3:39 PM, Captain_Crosscheck said:

I have no clue what is going on now that the AHL has taken Western teams.

I don’t have inside knowledge, but I can provide some educated guesses from following the league closely. For one, the Pacific division teams have never played anyone from the Eastern conference. The Eastern teams only ever cross over against the Central division teams. Second, the Central teams have to fly regularly anyway within their own division, so a flight or two out to California is not too much different than their annual Texas and Manitoba flight(s). And third, each opponent is played an equal number of times home and away. While the league requires that you play all division opponents, I believe all out-of-division play is by mutual agreement of the teams, since each one has to agree to travel to the other’s barn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members
     
     

    No registered users viewing this page.

     
×