Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Greg81102

GDT - Birmingham @ Roanoke 2/9/19 7:05 pm et.

Dawgs are back at it at home in The Berglund Center for game 2 versus the Birmingham Bulls.  Dawgs won the first one 3-1 and extended its point streak to seven games.  Saturday night is Youth Sports Night where the first 500 kids 12 and under will receive a Dawgs replica jersey that I hope fits them better than Zach Neiminen.  Come out and support our Dawgs as they go for a playoff push that pits them 3 points out of 5th with Knoxville and 1 point out of 6th with Fayetteville.  Go Dawgs!!

Youth Sports Night

Tough loss, but, through 5 games vs. B-Ham, each side has collected 6 points. I like the way they play the best teams in the league. Gives me hope for a competitive playoff series and maybe an upset. Of course, the Peoria test is still to come, we’ll see how that goes.

13 hours ago, Theoriginalalex said:

Tough loss, but, through 5 games vs. B-Ham, each side has collected 6 points. I like the way they play the best teams in the league. Gives me hope for a competitive playoff series and maybe an upset. Of course, the Peoria test is still to come, we’ll see how that goes.

I am still wondering what type of team Peoria is.  Peoria seems to play teams when they are down, when we seem to play teams when they are up.  They beat up on Evansville, QC, and Pensacola at the start of the season when both teams are down.  We played Macon when they had Ruby, Soumelidis, and Klecha among others.  They beat us 4 in a row when they were so good and than we beat them 4 in a row the last 4 games of our series when you can tell they on a down slope and can't seem to beat anyone now.  Now it seems like Pensacola is getting a lot better the last few games and beating teams, now we have to start playing them.  Not saying Peoria isn't a good team, just that they seem to be hitting teams when they are down.  By league schedule and how much roster turnover its really hard to compare teams in the league.  Be nice to spread out games versus teams during the season.  Having already played 12 of 13 over Fayetteville already. Played all 8 games against Macon.  Almost all of Knoxville games.  But we finally get to play the 3 teams we haven't faced yet all season with QC, Pensacola, and Peoria during the last month month of the season.  Just think the league could do a way better job with the scheduling spreading games out between teams.  Instead of always playing 20 games against two teams at the beginning of the season before you even play 3 of the teams.  Quality of teams can go way up or way down from the beginning to the end of seasons.

30 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

I am still wondering what type of team Peoria is.  Peoria seems to play teams when they are down, when we seem to play teams when they are up.  They beat up on Evansville, QC, and Pensacola at the start of the season when both teams are down.  We played Macon when they had Ruby, Soumelidis, and Klecha among others.  They beat us 4 in a row when they were so good and than we beat them 4 in a row the last 4 games of our series when you can tell they on a down slope and can't seem to beat anyone now.  Now it seems like Pensacola is getting a lot better the last few games and beating teams, now we have to start playing them.  Not saying Peoria isn't a good team, just that they seem to be hitting teams when they are down.  By league schedule and how much roster turnover its really hard to compare teams in the league.  Be nice to spread out games versus teams during the season.  Having already played 12 of 13 over Fayetteville already. Played all 8 games against Macon.  Almost all of Knoxville games.  But we finally get to play the 3 teams we haven't faced yet all season with QC, Pensacola, and Peoria during the last month month of the season.  Just think the league could do a way better job with the scheduling spreading games out between teams.  Instead of always playing 20 games against two teams at the beginning of the season before you even play 3 of the teams.  Quality of teams can go way up or way down from the beginning to the end of seasons.

They favored a Peoria/Quad City match! Peoria had too many easy games against an expansion club and a club that apparently had no idea what the definition to winning was.....

43 minutes ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

... Peoria had too many easy games against an expansion club and a club that apparently had no idea what the definition to winning was.....

If anyone feels strongly about this, you can take your complaints to your local team's BoG representative or to the League's summer meetings in June.  All of the teams play the season with the cards (and teams) dealt to them.  dots.gif

1 hour ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

They favored a Peoria/Quad City match! Peoria had too many easy games against an expansion club and a club that apparently had no idea what the definition to winning was.....

Thats what I meant by spreading the schedule out.  Peoria's first 4 out of 5 games and already 13 out of 16 have been played against QC.  Spread them out a lot more.  Of course you expect an expansion team to really struggle at the beginning of the season because its usually new players coming together with no previous chemistry.  Thats why i like the 2 home 2 away games i've mentioned having against every team.  Instead of the bullcrap we have now where haven't played Peoria, Pensacola, or QC and don't get to until the last month.  Can't split games up when you just play 3 at Peoria and 3 at QC without making extra trips.  If you play 2 home 2 away you can play 2 toward the beginning and 2 toward the end of the season.  I just think they are failing big time with schedules.  No way you should play the teams you do the most like ours is Fayetteville (13), Knoxville(10), and Macon(8) and each series about over in January because you play them so often at just the beginning of the season.  All the while, haven't played 3 of the teams in the league until the very end of February.  Spread the games out more evenly and teams wouldn't feel like they play the same team every game.  Then just disappear totally from your schedule for the last 3 months.

27 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

If anyone feels strongly about this, you can take your complaints to your local team's BoG representative or to the League's summer meetings in June.  All of the teams play the season with the cards (and teams) dealt to them.  dots.gif

I like having the conversations right here better, just to annoy you!  We all know how flustered you can get when we talk about Peoria's weak schedule.  😡

5 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

For me, it’s not about complaining, I get the business of minor league hockey and frequently defend scheduling all over the internet. But, I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that Peoria isn’t 100% the runaway best team when their strength of schedule is factored. They did pass a some good tests against a hot Huntsville squad, a better Pensacola, and a righted Macon lately. But, you still haven’t seen B-Ham, and 3 more home vs the Mayhem to go.

Edited by Theoriginalalex
Wrong word

10 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

If anyone feels strongly about this, you can take your complaints to your local team's BoG representative or to the League's summer meetings in June.    dots.gif

Or they can express their views on this board as they have done.  There is at least one owner and one coach who reads these boards. 

"All of the teams play the season with the cards (and teams) dealt to them."

I'm sure all fans on this site get this part.  I think what is being said is that in the future maybe the cards can be re-shuffled a bit. 16 of 56 games against an expansion team shouldn't happen (of course, JMHO)

5 hours ago, Theoriginalalex said:

... I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that Peoria isn’t 100% the runaway best team when their strength of schedule is factored. ...

@SJSharkies4ever has echoed your position ...

15 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

...i like the 2 home 2 away games i've mentioned having against every team.

Definitely a proponent of that, and it’s not much difference in travel from what we already have. I’d add that I think they should adopt the AHL and NAHL method of having home/away splits always equal. So you’d have 36 fixed games on the schedule (9x4), and 20 (basically 10 home-and-homes) to flex schedule against rivals.

If the Dawgs had something like 14 (7 at each) vs. Fayetteville, 10 vs. Knoxville, 8 vs. Macon, and 4 vs. everybody else, I could very much live with that.

Now, as far as playing Fayetteville so much early on, I’ll defend the league here. Many weekends you play the same team Friday and Saturday to reduce travel, and games vs. Fayetteville are almost always home-and-home series because of the proximity. Thus, it’s tough to place those games from mid-February on when the Dawgs have their long home ice blackout.

On 2/10/2019 at 10:30 PM, Greg81102 said:

I like having the conversations right here better, just to annoy you!  We all know how flustered you can get when we talk about Peoria's weak schedule.  😡

On 2/11/2019 at 3:58 AM, Theoriginalalex said:

For me, it’s not about complaining, I get the business of minor league hockey and frequently defend scheduling all over the internet. But, I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that Peoria isn’t 100% the runaway best team when their strength of schedule is factored. They did pass a some good tests against a hot Huntsville squad, a better Pensacola, and a righted Macon lately. But, you still haven’t seen B-Ham, and 3 more home vs the Mayhem to go.

21 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

@SJSharkies4ever has echoed your position ...

This is the current Strength of Schedule rankings:

STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE
RANK TEAM RECORD RATING
1 Pensacola Ice Flyers 12-20-4 .6012
2 Quad City Storm 10-22-3 .5908
3 Evansville Thunderbolts 7-27-3 .5893
4 Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs 18-16-3 .5497
5 Fayetteville Marksmen 19-14-4 .5479
6 Macon Mayhem 21-13-4 .5415
7 Knoxville Ice Bears 19-13-5 .5281
8 Huntsville Havoc 23-11-2 .5225
9 Birmingham Bulls 25-10-2 .5027
10 Peoria Rivermen 30-4-4 .4632

Peoria's weakest schedule in the league makes them the worst team in the league, so to speak, because the quality opponents are not there for them. It does, however, give them the overall #1 spot in the RPI rankings.

RPI RANKINGS
RANK TEAM RECORD RATING
1 Peoria Rivermen 30-4-4 .5684
2 Huntsville Havoc 23-11-2 .5632
3 Birmingham Bulls 25-10-2 .5561
4 Macon Mayhem 21-13-4 .5526
5 Fayetteville Marksmen 19-14-4 .5482
6 Knoxville Ice Bears 19-13-5 .5429
7 Pensacola Ice Flyers 12-20-4 .5422
8 Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs 18-16-3 .5331
9 Quad City Storm 10-22-3 .5226
10 Evansville Thunderbolts 7-27-3 .4976
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:30 PM, Greg81102 said:

Thanks for your support.  Codependency is was keeps this Board alive.

• Haha 1