Jump to content

Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

  • Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here


Greg81102

GDT - Roanoke @ Pensacola 3/9/19 8:05 pm et.

Recommended Posts

 
On 3/9/2019 at 12:57 AM, Greg81102 said:

Guess this thread stayed silent because there's not a lot to say about this piss poor road trip.  5-0, this team seems like it's in cruise mode.  Going through the motions, waiting for April to come around to jet town.  Last year's 2nd half team would beat this team 9 out of 10 times simply because this team is afraid to get it's hands dirty and play physical.  This is not the type of team that will keep hockey in Roanoke, there is no blue collar mentality on this team.  Coffee, Wine, Cheese and the Bachelor I'm glad they have fun off the ice because on the ice the only fun had is by opposing teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
1 hour ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Cheese and whine go well together.

So do smart asses and message boards 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Not really an excuse but at least this team is still way better than anything Ftorek ever did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
6 hours ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

Guess this thread stayed silent because there's not a lot to say about this piss poor road trip.  5-0, this team seems like it's in cruise mode.  Going through the motions, waiting for April to come around to jet town.  Last year's 2nd half team would beat this team 9 out of 10 times simply because this team is afraid to get it's hands dirty and play physical.  This is not the type of team that will keep hockey in Roanoke, there is no blue collar mentality on this team.  Coffee, Wine, Cheese and the Bachelor I'm glad they have fun off the ice because on the ice the only fun had is by opposing teams.

That was my thoughts.  Not much to say getting beat 5-0 by a team behind you in the standings. By my observations right now i'd say we are the team being picked first to play the #1 seed.  I definately don't have the same feeling as last year that nobody would want to play us.  We lost all our speed, we aren't as physical, and doubt any team really hates to play us now.  Going to be hard to improve with as little games as we have left.  Hopefully something happens between now and playoffs because right now I don't have a very good feeling.  It will be really bad feeling if we don't get 4 points this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

does anyone know where the new guy we traded for is at and and maybe it will help to get back home because that is a long time to not play at home.But right now things do not look very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
49 minutes ago, richard 76 said:

does anyone know where the new guy we traded for is at and and maybe it will help to get back home because that is a long time to not play at home.But right now things do not look very good.

I don't think being home is going to help, if I were betting on it I would say Roanoke goes pointless in its final 4 at home. Roanoke had it relatively easy on the road with minimal sleeping on the bus. I just think this team is done playing, I think there are a few older guys starting to turn their attention to life after hockey. We will see but it doesn't look promising....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
6 hours ago, Canucks13 said:

Not really an excuse but at least this team is still way better than anything Ftorek ever did.

That's setting a really low bar, take a look at Birmingham for comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

        A few notes. First don't give up so fast. If you want a team with a drive, then as a fan you need to have a little faith yourself. Remember Pensacola has been the hottest team in the league. I did not like the look of the 5-0 loss Saturday night for sure. But I would have surely laid my money on Pensacola for Saturday night considering it was the home rebound game coming off of a heartbreaking home loss to the same team from the night before.

          About the absence of Justin Levac, I really don't know but again would I guess he was held back off the roster temporarily as there was no space on the roster. I am guessing (and only guessing) that Justin Levac will eventually replace Cam Owens as Owens has one game to go on his 3 game tryout amateur tryout.

           I did notice Evan Schultz was waived from Evansville today. If I had anything to do with it and Roanoke was high enough on the waiver order to get him, then I would claim him. He had skill, speed, grit and good promise last year. He could be a very  good addition to a playoff roster. Moving Calvin Miska and Roberts Locans sure made our transaction action look like we took the short end of the stick. Both are producing for their new teams and Pensacola and Knoxville are streaking. But then again, there are only so many spots on the roster and somebody had to go. And who could have predicted the Schwartz debacle.    

       The whole league has been rather unpredictable at times. And it will morph a little more before the playoffs begin. We are definitely not high in the power rankings right now, but its not going to be power rankings that decide the games.  It will be done with the right combination and winning the matchups on the ice. Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

MODERATOR ACTION: Post removed in accordance with the following SPHL Forums Guideline.

Quote

PERSONAL LIVES OF PLAYERS/COACHES/OFFICE STAFF IS OFF LIMITS - Do not get into discussions about the personal lives of players, coaches, or office staff. Yes, they are public figures but they deserve their privacy too. Talking about job performance is one thing but jumping into their family business or personal affairs won't be tolerated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
19 hours ago, HaLLoW WoLF said:

        A few notes. First don't give up so fast. If you want a team with a drive, then as a fan you need to have a little faith yourself. Remember Pensacola has been the hottest team in the league. I did not like the look of the 5-0 loss Saturday night for sure. But I would have surely laid my money on Pensacola for Saturday night considering it was the home rebound game coming off of a heartbreaking home loss to the same team from the night before.

          About the absence of Justin Levac, I really don't know but again would I guess he was held back off the roster temporarily as there was no space on the roster. I am guessing (and only guessing) that Justin Levac will eventually replace Cam Owens as Owens has one game to go on his 3 game tryout amateur tryout.

           I did notice Evan Schultz was waived from Evansville today. If I had anything to do with it and Roanoke was high enough on the waiver order to get him, then I would claim him. He had skill, speed, grit and good promise last year. He could be a very  good addition to a playoff roster. Moving Calvin Miska and Roberts Locans sure made our transaction action look like we took the short end of the stick. Both are producing for their new teams and Pensacola and Knoxville are streaking. But then again, there are only so many spots on the roster and somebody had to go. And who could have predicted the Schwartz debacle.    

       The whole league has been rather unpredictable at times. And it will morph a little more before the playoffs begin. We are definitely not high in the power rankings right now, but its not going to be power rankings that decide the games.  It will be done with the right combination and winning the matchups on the ice. Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement.

 

 

We have roster room for him.  He was traded 1 for 1 for Brian Rowland and Cam Owens is signed to a 3 game tryout so it counts as no roster spot.  Everybody else that was traded at the deadline played for their teams.  Its not like we are blowing by our competition.  Its the last 10 games of the season and we are fighting for a playoff spot.  We could have used a guy with 400 games under his belt playing in two games we are fighting for 8th spot against.  I didn't say we had no chance.  Just said by this time last year it seemed we had a better team and they played more like the team the coach envisioned.  We have blown out somebody only once this season and that was against Evansville playing with 12 skaters with a 6-1 win.  Not very promising when you can't seem to keep the gas pedal down for a whole 60 minutes of a game.  Only one thing will change my mind on that, is seeing it happen.  Season is starting to come to a close, they better hurry up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

We have roster room for him.  He was traded 1 for 1 for Brian Rowland and Cam Owens is signed to a 3 game tryout so it counts as no roster spot.  Everybody else that was traded at the deadline played for their teams.  Its not like we are blowing by our competition.  Its the last 10 games of the season and we are fighting for a playoff spot.  We could have used a guy with 400 games under his belt playing in two games we are fighting for 8th spot against.  I didn't say we had no chance.  Just said by this time last year it seemed we had a better team and they played more like the team the coach envisioned.  We have blown out somebody only once this season and that was against Evansville playing with 12 skaters with a 6-1 win.  Not very promising when you can't seem to keep the gas pedal down for a whole 60 minutes of a game.  Only one thing will change my mind on that, is seeing it happen.  Season is starting to come to a close, they better hurry up.

I just have the feeling they're done for the year and we will see little effort moving forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
7 hours ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

MODERATOR ACTION: Post removed in accordance with the following SPHL Forums Guideline.

 

Eh I thought it could be over the line, so that’s fair. That’s why I tried to address that it was just something I heard, and could not confirm nor deny factitiousness. Sorry, my bad. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

We have roster room for him.  He was traded 1 for 1 for Brian Rowland and Cam Owens is signed to a 3 game tryout so it counts as no roster spot.  Everybody else that was traded at the deadline played for their teams.  Its not like we are blowing by our competition.  Its the last 10 games of the season and we are fighting for a playoff spot.  We could have used a guy with 400 games under his belt playing in two games we are fighting for 8th spot against.  I didn't say we had no chance.  Just said by this time last year it seemed we had a better team and they played more like the team the coach envisioned.  We have blown out somebody only once this season and that was against Evansville playing with 12 skaters with a 6-1 win.  Not very promising when you can't seem to keep the gas pedal down for a whole 60 minutes of a game.  Only one thing will change my mind on that, is seeing it happen.  Season is starting to come to a close, they better hurry up. 

It was my understanding that the SPHL ruled Roanoke play in Pensacola 1 man short both games, and that even though the team suspended Schwartz to open up a roster spot, it did not erase the mandated team penalty phase completely.  Thus they used 15-2 both games. So the on ice game playing roster required to be indeed 1 short. Roanoke played 15-2. Pensacola played 16-2.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
9 minutes ago, HaLLoW WoLF said:

It was my understanding that the SPHL ruled Roanoke play in Pensacola 1 man short both games, and that even though the team suspended Schwartz to open up a roster spot, it did not erase the mandated team penalty phase completely.  Thus they used 15-2 both games. So the on ice game playing roster required to be indeed 1 short. Roanoke played 15-2. Pensacola played 16-2.     

Yea, i know that much, but you're telling me you would rather have a guy on a 3 game tryout contract who never played professionally playing before you would a veteran with over 400 career pro starts that you traded one of your best defensemen for?  I know they have to play a man short for 3 games that still doesn't change the fact Levac could have been in the lineup for Owens or anyone else on the roster except a goalie for that matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Do I think this team is more likely a first round exit than a winner? Yes. Do I think l we are an easy target for Peoria to pick because JGT is 8-1 against Bremner? Absolutely.

But some of you are seriously overreacting saying this is a disaster of a road trip. We are 3-4-1, and have played the best team in the league and the hottest for 5/8 games. What do you expect? That’s about how everyone else around us has fared against them lately. And the prediction that we go pointless in our final four home games is probably the greatest overreaction of them all.

Edited by Theoriginalalex
Typos
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
11 hours ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

Eh I thought it could be over the line, so that’s fair. That’s why I tried to address that it was just something I heard, and could not confirm nor deny factitiousness. Sorry, my bad. 

+10 bonus points for using the word "factitiousness."  The Perfesser will be proud.  :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
6 hours ago, Theoriginalalex said:

Do I think this team is more likely a first round exit than a winner? Yes. Do I think l we are an easy target for Peoria to pick because JGT is 8-1 against Bremner? Absolutely.

But some of you are seriously overreacting saying this is a disaster of a road trip. We are 3-4-1, and have played the best team in the league and the hottest for 5/8 games. What do you expect? That’s about how everyone else around us has fared against them lately. And the prediction that we go pointless in our final four home games is probably the greatest overreaction of them all.

Why is that an overreaction?  Ice Bears have won 7 of their last 10, including 4 games against Peoria.  Fayetteville, while struggling lately has owned Roanoke this season.  Then Pensacola comes to town winning 8 of their last 10 and they're getting hot at the right time.  Now let's get to Roanoke who has been up and down all year, even at their best they've struggled to put together a full game.  This team does not like to play physical and I don't understand because this was supposed to be Bremner's wheel house but I guess that was a bad assumption on my part.  Again, if you want a team for comparison I would suggest using Birmingham.  They're in year 2 and are in great shape for the playoffs while Roanoke is in year 3 with Peoria already preparing for the 2nd round.

Edited by HockeyRoanoke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
10 hours ago, Theoriginalalex said:

Do I think this team is more likely a first round exit than a winner? Yes. Do I think l we are an easy target for Peoria to pick because JGT is 8-1 against Bremner? Absolutely.

But some of you are seriously overreacting saying this is a disaster of a road trip. We are 3-4-1, and have played the best team in the league and the hottest for 5/8 games. What do you expect? That’s about how everyone else around us has fared against them lately. And the prediction that we go pointless in our final four home games is probably the greatest overreaction of them all.

We play Fayetteville which doesn't even have a player called up and made plenty of great trades to make their team better.  Play Knoxville who has destroyed us all year and just beat Peoria 4 games in a row.  Lastly play the hottest team in the league in Pensacola?  I really don't see where it is a huge overreaction saying we could possibly lose every home game left on our schedule.  I also disagree with you saying its not disappointing when after this weekend it really could be.  Play all 3 teams below us in the standings and not atleast have a .500 would be pretty big disaster of a road trip in my eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
21 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Yea, i know that much, but you're telling me you would rather have a guy on a 3 game tryout contract who never played professionally playing before you would a veteran with over 400 career pro starts that you traded one of your best defensemen for?  I know they have to play a man short for 3 games that still doesn't change the fact Levac could have been in the lineup for Owens or anyone else on the roster except a goalie for that matter. 

      No not exactly. But what I am telling you is that you (nor me) really have any idea of Levac's situation ( or you would have typed it in). And yet you must have assumed Levac was sitting here primed, healthy, well practiced and ready to rock, and ready to step into the lineup, then when that did not happen, with no questions asked or facts to share, then to come up with a reasoning of anything less than Levac playing in Pensacola must have been a coaching gaff.   And I am telling you that even though Owens and Carbonara were shown acquired on March 7, the workings by agreement to them to get to their deal most likely was in the plan a week or so earlier because that is how it works.  And so to put my words back in my mouth rather than having you dictate what I am saying when I did not say it, is I am telling you that I feel pretty sure there is some understanding and some reasoning behind what has taken place and that is why it was done that way. And I yearn to be enlightened with knowledge to the facts and then we can agree or disagree. But I don't think it fair to criticize that of what we do not actually know. Maybe a little better media coverage would be something to help us fans be more aware of these inner workings so we would not have to guess.

        But a greater point would be to let this play out and stay behind the team, see if Bremner and our Roanoke players can finish out strong and have as much success as they can in the playoffs. I myself see no alternative.   I am not going to give up and just pull for another team because they have more skill or have been playing better.  I can handicap with the best of 'em and that is a whole another issue. I do know its a really great feeling to rise up and beat teams that most think you cannot beat. That is my desire.  I understand the fans wanting to win and I understand the impatience. But sitting around griping and finger pointing after losses or decisions does nothing to help anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
11 minutes ago, HaLLoW WoLF said:

      No not exactly. But what I am telling you is that you (nor me) really have any idea of Levac's situation ( or you would have typed it in). And yet you must have assumed Levac was sitting here primed, healthy, well practiced and ready to rock, and ready to step into the lineup, then when that did not happen, with no questions asked or facts to share, then to come up with a reasoning of anything less than Levac playing in Pensacola must have been a coaching gaff.   And I am telling you that even though Owens and Carbonara were shown acquired on March 7, the workings by agreement to them to get to their deal most likely was in the plan a week or so earlier because that is how it works.  And so to put my words back in my mouth rather than having you dictate what I am saying when I did not say it, is I am telling you that I feel pretty sure there is some understanding and some reasoning behind what has taken place and that is why it was done that way. And I yearn to be enlightened with knowledge to the facts and then we can agree or disagree. But I don't think it fair to criticize that of what we do not actually know. Maybe a little better media coverage would be something to help us fans be more aware of these inner workings so we would not have to guess.

        But a greater point would be to let this play out and stay behind the team, see if Bremner and our Roanoke players can finish out strong and have as much success as they can in the playoffs. I myself see no alternative.   I am not going to give up and just pull for another team because they have more skill or have been playing better.  I can handicap with the best of 'em and that is a whole another issue. I do know its a really great feeling to rise up and beat teams that most think you cannot beat. That is my desire.  I understand the fans wanting to win and I understand the impatience. But sitting around griping and finger pointing after losses or decisions does nothing to help anything. 

Uh, no.  Only reason i said something back to you was you said there was no roster space when obviously there was room for him.  No other teams had a problem getting their traded players into their lineups.  Where did I put the blame anywhere on the coach?  All I said was i'd rather have a veteran we traded for one of our best defensemen with over 400 games played than a rookie that has never played a professional game.  I see no use trading a guy who could be on our roster for years to come for a guy with over 400 games that we will probably keep for the rest of the year and has yet to suit up for us.  The website has yet to give him a jersey # which is odd. After this year we won't be able to play with the three veterans on our team anyways after they calculate the games played after this year.  This is also a message board to do exactly what you said not to, anyone can gripe as much as they want.  We all want the team to win, but you lose 5-0 to a team behind you in the standings and totally get slaughtered in the 3 games against the team we will probably see in the first round doesn't give me very much confidence.  Especially being outshot those 3 games 106 to 54.  You can keep those rose colored glasses on as long as you want, i'm just being realistic.  Not sure how that makes you think i'm "going to give up and start rooting for another team".  I think thats a pretty absurd statement for a fan from any team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members
     
     

    No registered users viewing this page.

     
×
×
  • Create New...