Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
Greg81102

GDT - Roanoke @ Evansville 3/15/19 8:15 pm et.

How about this road trip now?  I don't think its an overreaction to think if we don't win tomorrow, that we could possibly lose all the way out.  Not just our home games.  Lose to a team that is 10th place in all the major stats.  Goals per game, goals against, powerplay %, and penalty kill %.  Evansville averages 2.20 goals a game and we give them 7.  A team thats been out of the playoffs for half the season outplayed us in every aspect of the game.  Y'all can try to spin it anyway you want but we are in shambles and have been for awhile now.  To me and is just my opinion, they have lost the drive.  When your coach prides his team on passion, physicality, and grit but every team you play seems like they have more of it then we do, it is a problem.  I never thought it could possibly get this bad during the offseason with our signings.  Something is just not clicking with the team.

Just noticed Adirondack put Sean Federow on the injured reserve.  Won't get him back anytime soon.

You are right, no more defending this team from me, I’m seriously concerned now. Once the inevitable sweep from Peoria is out of the way in a month, the off-season topic around here is headed towards “Should Bremner return?”.

1 hour ago, Theoriginalalex said:

You are right, no more defending this team from me, I’m seriously concerned now. Once the inevitable sweep from Peoria is out of the way in a month, the off-season topic around here is headed towards “Should Bremner return?”.

I don't know if i'd take it that far yet, but its disappointing not having a team playing like the coach wants them to.  We have not much speed on the team.  No one is physical, except Mele.  He is the only one that will lay a check down every chance he gets.  That last empty net goal that would have been icing, we just gave up it seemed.  Shane Morrissey wanted the hat trick and beat everyone down there and scored.  Just seems like other teams want the win more than we do.  All a team has to do is get physical with us and its like we never have any answer for it.  I thought that would be how we played throughout the year.  I just don't know.  We still have blown no team out all year except the 6-1 game early in the year when Evansville was awful.  Now they've beat us 2 games in a row.  I am wishing for a miraculous turn around these last 7 games, but its tough.  Definately not peeking at the right time.  Looking like the 8th seed, with Pensacola only 1 point behind and a game at hand on us.  

I think the Dawgs front office talks a good game but it’s rare that they deliver. Because of that I honestly think that hockey is not going to have a long future in Roanoke. People are getting tired of hearing about how great the team is going to be and then it never happens. I hate to be negative but after going to other SPHL arenas and seeing their product on the ice, in game entertainment, souvenirs, etc I really feel that Roanoke is way behind in most of these categories. 

Now, on the other hand, it seems like Roanoke has a hard time getting quality players that do not get called up and that can hurt a lot. The Dawgs have never really had a player that is a true scoring threat and has never had a player that is consistently physical. They did with Fox and Economos but it doesn’t look like they are ever coming back. 

Also, this month long road trip cannot be easy on the team either. Do other teams have a similar stretch of games where they’re away for a month?

Is this the end of the world? No. Will I continue to support the team and be a season ticket holder? Of course! But, something needs to be done and getting rid of Bremner is not the solution, I think he’s a good coach but he’s just can’t get anything going with the team he has. It seemed like last year he was quick to get rid of players that didn’t meet his standard. Maybe he has relaxed on that or maybe there are no replacement players available or maybe management doesn’t want him doing that?

A lot of this is speculation and opinion but I really hope the team does something to fix the problem rather than just give the traditional Roanoke response of “just wait until next year!” Lastly, I hope whatever the response is I hope it isn’t a knee jerk response. 

4 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

I don't know if i'd take it that far yet, but its disappointing not having a team playing like the coach wants them to....Looking like the 8th seed, with Pensacola only 1 point behind and a game at hand on us.  

I don’t want to replace Bremner, for the record, but I feel like I’ll be in the minority. And even if we are not the 8th, I have a hard time believing JGT is going to sign up for a long trip to his “house of horrors” against a red-hot Flyers side instead of an easy win against Roanoke.

3 hours ago, Canucks13 said:

I think the Dawgs front office talks a good game but it’s rare that they deliver. Because of that I honestly think that hockey is not going to have a long future in Roanoke. People are getting tired of hearing about how great the team is going to be and then it never happens. I hate to be negative but after going to other SPHL arenas and seeing their product on the ice, in game entertainment, souvenirs, etc I really feel that Roanoke is way behind in most of these categories...Also, this month long road trip cannot be easy on the team either. Do other teams have a similar stretch of games where they’re away for a month?

I’m not worried about hockey’s future here. For one, our attendance has gone up slightly each season, so I’m not who it is you are referring to that’s tired of the underperforming product. I don’t think winning cures all in the minors, either: see Macon. Speaking of which, at worst our organization is healthier than Macon, Evansville, and Fayetteville simply on fan support. Your schedule question got me curious, so I quickly perused the other 9 teams: the longest I found was 7 games for QC. Most teams have one or two 5-6 gamers, but ours is basically taking both of your “long” 5-6 game roadies back to back.

Does anybody know what happened to Levac the guy we traded for and I think the long road trip has hurt us some but we have a problem right now.

3 hours ago, richard 76 said:

Does anybody know what happened to Levac the guy we traded for and I think the long road trip has hurt us some but we have a problem right now.

From what I heard, he hasn't reported and still has no number given to him on the roster the last time I looked.  Definately looking like a Todd Hosmer trade we made with Mississippi and he never reported.  

8 hours ago, Canucks13 said:

I think the Dawgs front office talks a good game but it’s rare that they deliver. Because of that I honestly think that hockey is not going to have a long future in Roanoke. People are getting tired of hearing about how great the team is going to be and then it never happens. I hate to be negative but after going to other SPHL arenas and seeing their product on the ice, in game entertainment, souvenirs, etc I really feel that Roanoke is way behind in most of these categories. 

Now, on the other hand, it seems like Roanoke has a hard time getting quality players that do not get called up and that can hurt a lot. The Dawgs have never really had a player that is a true scoring threat and has never had a player that is consistently physical. They did with Fox and Economos but it doesn’t look like they are ever coming back. 

Also, this month long road trip cannot be easy on the team either. Do other teams have a similar stretch of games where they’re away for a month?

Is this the end of the world? No. Will I continue to support the team and be a season ticket holder? Of course! But, something needs to be done and getting rid of Bremner is not the solution, I think he’s a good coach but he’s just can’t get anything going with the team he has. It seemed like last year he was quick to get rid of players that didn’t meet his standard. Maybe he has relaxed on that or maybe there are no replacement players available or maybe management doesn’t want him doing that?

A lot of this is speculation and opinion but I really hope the team does something to fix the problem rather than just give the traditional Roanoke response of “just wait until next year!” Lastly, I hope whatever the response is I hope it isn’t a knee jerk response. 

Only thing I don't understand, is that the players that seem to play the way Bremner says he wants his team to play fast, physical, and with passion we seem to get rid of.  Like Cal Miska, seems to me he would have been one to keep to me.  Also seems to me when we release a player they seem to start lighting it up in other places as Cal Miska and Robert Locans has done.  I'm definately not worried with hockey in Roanoke.  Yes, its been disappointing not playing the way I thought we would this year being physical and thought we wouldn't be in the bottom of the standings anymore. Still hoping for a nice run but time is surely running out.

We do all seem to agree that there needs to be a better system of keeping us fans in the loop. Like I said before some things that happen need not be criticized too harshly too quickly as there usually are reasons things are done, but it seems we usually have to figure it all out after the fact by answering our own questions deductively with "What must have happened was..........." , then that may not be right either. As I saw the other day Evan Schultz went on waivers from Evansville, then today I see Knoxville put Marcus Ortiz on waivers. That would be 2/3 of a good forward line right there if they could be claimed.     

Maybe we can upload a photo of Justin Levac and have an amber alert put out with his picture on a milk jug so we can find where he is at. It looks like it may take that. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, HaLLoW WoLF said:

We do all seem to agree that there needs to be a better system of keeping us fans in the loop. Like I said before some things that happen need not be criticized too harshly too quickly as there usually are reasons things are done, but it seems we usually have to figure it all out after the fact by answering our own questions deductively with "What must have happened was..........." , then that may not be right either. As I saw the other day Evan Schultz went on waivers from Evansville, then today I see Knoxville put Marcus Ortiz on waivers. That would be 2/3 of a good forward line right there if they could be claimed.     

I would be happy with either one of them.  Ortiz is a high energy guy and we know Schultz can produce points.  Thats another thing.  People get waived and sometimes shows they were claimed a day or two afterwards.  Sometimes it shows many days afterwards.  I guess there is no time frame you must go by to list transactions.  

8 minutes ago, HaLLoW WoLF said:

Maybe we can upload a photo of Justin Levac and have an amber alert put out with his picture on a milk jug so we can find where he is at. It looks like it may take that. 

That might be what it takes.  I hear things but its like you said, take it with as a grain of salt whether its actually the truth or not.

7 hours ago, Theoriginalalex said:

I don’t want to replace Bremner, for the record, but I feel like I’ll be in the minority. And even if we are not the 8th, I have a hard time believing JGT is going to sign up for a long trip to his “house of horrors” against a red-hot Flyers side instead of an easy win against Roanoke.

I’m not worried about hockey’s future here. For one, our attendance has gone up slightly each season, so I’m not who it is you are referring to that’s tired of the underperforming product. I don’t think winning cures all in the minors, either: see Macon. Speaking of which, at worst our organization is healthier than Macon, Evansville, and Fayetteville simply on fan support. Your schedule question got me curious, so I quickly perused the other 9 teams: the longest I found was 7 games for QC. Most teams have one or two 5-6 gamers, but ours is basically taking both of your “long” 5-6 game roadies back to back.

I’m not saying I’ve heard any specific person say they’re getting tired of the team not performing well. What I mean is, eventually the general public is going to catch on to the frequent use of “just wait until next year” and then stop supporting the team. I know this league is very different from other leagues and in some cases certain things are out of the hands of those in charge but from day one I constantly heard about how Roanoke is going to do things right to attract the top talent but in my opinion we do not have top talent right now. I’m sure it takes a while but Roanoke is in need of a first line or at least one player that is a scoring threat any time they’re on the ice. 

9 hours ago, Canucks13 said:

What I mean is, eventually the general public is going to catch on to the frequent use of “just wait until next year” and then stop supporting the team. I know this league is very different from other leagues and in some cases certain things are out of the hands of those in charge but from day one I constantly heard about how Roanoke is going to do things right to attract the top talent but in my opinion we do not have top talent right now.

Well, I guess I look at things this way: it’s a 10 team league with constant roster turnover, so it’s hard to be bad for a long time, and you start every season with a 10% chance to win the title and 40% to win at least a series. Eventually we will find the right mix. This is a disappointing season, especially when you look at what Macon did in their 2nd season and what B-Ham is doing now, but because we are disappointed speaks to the idea that we did try and attract top talent, this group just hasn’t worked out.

As an aside, maybe the reason I’m relatively optimistic about the SPHL is because I came from Rochester. My final 2 seasons living there (14-15 and 15-16), the Sabres GM at the time did not place a value on winning in the minors and so fans pretty much knew from Thanksgiving on that we were doomed. (Things have changed under former player Jason Botterill, now on their way to a 2nd straight playoff). At least this group in Roanoke is trying to win: knowing your management is not, THAT’s depressing.