Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Speedracer

Columbus City Council meeting to discuss the FHL

https://busleaguehockey.com/2019/04/22/local-report-wrbl-reports-columbus-city-council-to-consider-fhl-lease-tuesday/

WRBL Story

I hope someone is going there tomorrow to throw facts at them ..

• 2010-11: Average attendance 675
  • 11-12: 720 *
  • 12-13: 896 *
  • 13-14: 1014
  • 14-15: 828 *
  • 15-16: 744
  • 16-17: 793
  • 17-18: 884 *

* - Not all teams reported attendance. Average is that of only the reporting teams.

• At least 1 team folded in 5 of the previous 8 seasons.
  • There has not been a season with all teams played an even number of games
  • Only 4 teams fielded one season (2013-14)

This league has no formalized structure. Its "Make it up as we go along" business model is going to be bad for Columbus and do irreparable damage to Columbus where they won't want professional hockey in their city for years to come. 

3 hours ago, Speedracer said:

https://busleaguehockey.com/2019/04/22/local-report-wrbl-reports-columbus-city-council-to-consider-fhl-lease-tuesday/

WRBL Story

I hope someone is going there tomorrow to throw facts at them ..

• 2010-11: Average attendance 675
  • 11-12: 720 *
  • 12-13: 896 *
  • 13-14: 1014
  • 14-15: 828 *
  • 15-16: 744
  • 16-17: 793
  • 17-18: 884 *

* - Not all teams reported attendance. Average is that of only the reporting teams.

• At least 1 team folded in 5 of the previous 8 seasons.
  • There has not been a season with all teams played an even number of games
  • Only 4 teams fielded one season (2013-14)

This league has no formalized structure. Its "Make it up as we go along" business model is going to be bad for Columbus and do irreparable damage to Columbus where they won't want professional hockey in their city for years to come. 

I wonder what the name would be if he don't buy the cottonmouths name

11 hours ago, Future said:

I wonder what the name would be if he don't buy the cottonmouths name

I vote for the Copperheads. Let’s Go Snakes!

1 hour ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

It might not even matter, Speed and Future, as the Columbus City Council is "corrupt" according to one of our fellow forum members,

They kind of are. The city is not the easiest to work with, especially the city manager Isaiah Hugley

5 hours ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

They kind of are. The city is not the easiest to work with, especially the city manager Isaiah Hugley

It went through 

2 hours ago, Future said:

It went through 

Columbus is back in the game when it comes to hockey

By Dave Platta - WTVM News

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - Tuesday night at their weekly meeting, Columbus City Council gave unanimous approval to a 5-year deal with Ignite Pro Hockey, LLC to bring a Federal Hockey League team to the Civic Center.

Forget about the false start to hockey from two years ago and the Columbus Burn that never happened, the man with this plan has a strong hockey background and has actually owned and run professional teams.

Jeff Croop runs a graphic arts design and marketing business in Richmond, Virginia called USA Ignite -- which explains the "Ignite Pro Hockey" name.

The 55-year old upstate New York native appeared on a hockey card in 1988 as the trainer for the Utica Devils of the American Hockey League.

Croop was an owner of the Utica Blizzard of the Colonial Hockey League in 1994, which moved to Winston-Salem and became the IceHawks in 1997.

He later was general manager of the Richmond Riverdogs of the United Hockey League, starting in 2004.

Croop’s son Jay is currently a forward with the Carolina Thunderbirds of the FHL, and for local ties his daughter is a member of Auburn's national champion equestrian team.

His pro hockey front-office experience, his business in marketing, and the lower cost of running a team in the Federal Hockey League as compared to the SPHL makes the chances of a hockey team surviving in Columbus look good.

The start date of the lease is May 1, which means the new hockey team will hit the ice in October for the 2019-2020 season.

After two years of empty winter nights in the Civic Center, hockey is back in Columbus.

More from yesterday's Ledger-Enquirer:

Pro hockey could come back to Columbus after two year gap

By Allie Dean

A memo from Jon Dorman, civic center director, states that the deal structure is similar to the previous agreement with the Cottonmouths.

Dorman’s memo also states that with the addition of Columbus to the Federal Hockey League roster, the league has indicated potential future expansion in the South and Southeast. That includes the team potentially moving to the Southern Professional Hockey League (the former league of the Cottonmouths) or a team from the SPHL moving to a more nationally based federal league.

1 hour ago, RapidFire19 said:

Those travel costs for away games gonna kill them.

Columbus to:
Winston-Salem, NC - 6.5 hrs
Danville, IL - 10.5 hrs
Mentor, OH - 12.5 hrs
Port Huron, MI - 13.5 hrs
Elmira, NY - 15.5 hrs
Watertown, NY 17.5 hrs

(5 SPHL teams are closer than Winston-Salem, and 3 more are closer than Danville.)

• Thanks 1

I’m just happy that hockey is coming back to Columbus. I’m hoping the new owner completely cleans house. I just want a organization that actually cares about winning and doesn’t say winning is just “icing on the cake”. I think joining the FHL is a stepping stone for Columbus to join the SPHL in the near future. 

I hope it works out. We were without Hockey in Roanoke for 10 years, hate to see anyone that has had a team lose it. That said I don't see them coming back to the SPHL, I think if that were viable somebody would have already seriously tried.

19 hours ago, MacGuy said:

Columbus to:
Winston-Salem, NC - 6.5 hrs
Danville, IL - 10.5 hrs
Mentor, OH - 12.5 hrs
Port Huron, MI - 13.5 hrs
Elmira, NY - 15.5 hrs
Watertown, NY 17.5 hrs

(5 SPHL teams are closer than Winston-Salem, and 3 more are closer than Danville.)

Keep in mind the additional teams in Berlin and Danbury that have been confirmed and most likely Salisbury that is yet to be announced.

40 minutes ago, RallyRabbit said:

Keep in mind the additional teams in Berlin and Danbury that have been confirmed and most likely Salisbury that is yet to be announced.

It is almost a guarantee that one or more of the teams in the FHL will have this happen: 

After making it to the championship in the 2016–17 season, the Berlin River Drivers ceased operations due to the increased overhead costs of running the team and not selling enough season tickets for the following season

41 minutes ago, RallyRabbit said:

Columbus, GA to:

Danbury, Connecticut-  16 h 18 min (1,035.4 mi) via I-85 N

Berlin, New Hampshire- 21 h 7 min (1,346.1 mi) via I-85 N

1 hour ago, RallyRabbit said:

:huh: Berlin coming back was an April Fools joke. Danbury could be bringing hockey back, but it could be in 2019-20 or 2020-21 and it could be a junior hockey team. Salisbury is a perpetual pipe dream.

Hockey is officially coming back to Columbus. Is the new team set up for success?

By Allie Dean - Ledger-Enquirer

Staring this fall, Columbus area hockey fans will have a home team to cheer for again.

Columbus Council voted unanimously Tuesday evening to enter into a five-year agreement that will bring hockey back to the city.

Under the terms of the agreement, a yet-to-be-named franchise of the Federal Hockey League, one of five professional leagues operating in the U.S., will play 30 games at the Columbus Civic Center starting late October or November.

Jon Dorman, director of the Civic Center, told council he had been working for a long time to bring hockey back to the area.

“It puts another 30 event days back on our schedule, which helps our part time employees who rely on the additional income for their families, for groceries,” he said.

Dorman said the team won’t assume the old name and will most likely hold a “name the team” contest.

Read more at: https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/article229546549.html

1 hour ago, MacGuy said:

:huh: Berlin coming back was an April Fools joke. Danbury could be bringing hockey back, but it could be in 2019-20 or 2020-21 and it could be a junior hockey team. Salisbury is a perpetual pipe dream.

LOL don't I feel like an idiot.  April 1st and I never even picked up on that.  Gosh.

Danbury is a done deal.  Columbus is a done deal.

So the word is, Salisbury or a spot in Delaware.  One of those two are going to happen.

9 hours ago, thompson93 said:

I’m hoping the new owner completely cleans house.

How can you clean house when there's no house to clean? There's no FO staff in place, no coaching staff in place, etc. because there's nothing in place.

I think joining the FHL is a stepping stone for Columbus to join the SPHL in the near future. 

I fail to see how A leads to B. Columbus had a chance to go back to the SPHL. I know there were many factors and it wasn't a decision based on the league but I think if this owner had a chance to go to a better league with close regional rivals. 

I don't know what the travel expenses would be but I imagine a 56-game season where your closest away trip is 14 hours round trip. As noted before, there are five SPHL teams closer or the same and even Evansville is only 15 hours round trip. To keep the budget closer to the FHL norm, you're gonna have to skimp somewhere so I feel the FO will be where the cuts are and that will impact fan experience.

Posted (edited)

What is the salary cap for the fhl? Weekly? I know the coaches make nothing so I'm sure that's a lot less than what a coach make in the sphl..i seen where the Danbury team has hired billy mccreary that played for Huntsville to be their GM /coach 

Edited by mitchg73

9 hours ago, Geoff said:

How can you clean house when there's no house to clean? There's no FO staff in place, no coaching staff in place, etc. because there's nothing in place.

I fail to see how A leads to B. Columbus had a chance to go back to the SPHL. I know there were many factors and it wasn't a decision based on the league but I think if this owner had a chance to go to a better league with close regional rivals. 

I don't know what the travel expenses would be but I imagine a 56-game season where your closest away trip is 14 hours round trip. As noted before, there are five SPHL teams closer or the same and even Evansville is only 15 hours round trip. To keep the budget closer to the FHL norm, you're gonna have to skimp somewhere so I feel the FO will be where the cuts are and that will impact fan experience.

By cleaning house I meant I hope nobody from the Cottonmouths organization has anything to do with the new team. 

Maybe the new owner wanted to bring hockey back this year and not wait another year. Maybe Columbus is a test to see how the FHL will do in the south and they’ll try to add more teams if everything goes well. I know casual fans in the south wanna see very physical hockey and that’s why the FHL could thrive here. 

On 4/23/2019 at 9:29 PM, MacGuy said:

with the addition of Columbus to the Federal Hockey League roster, the league has indicated potential future expansion in the South and Southeast. That includes the team potentially moving to the Southern Professional Hockey League (the former league of the Cottonmouths) or a team from the SPHL moving to a more nationally based federal league.

This bit about the FHL’s expansion in the South relating to Columbus potentially moving to the SPHL is what has me wondering. 

10 hours ago, mitchg73 said:

What is the salary cap for the fhl? Weekly? I know the coaches make nothing so I'm sure that's a lot less than what a coach make in the sphl..i seen where the Danbury team has hired billy mccreary that played for Huntsville to be their GM /coach 

Salary Cap is about $3K weekly (junior kids & college kids just out of school that's not making anything to going to making a couple hundred a week to play) and coaches in the league make in the $30k's range. Front office is smaller but with younger employees who works hard and trying to prove themselves and move up. That's what the FHL is about.

Travel isn't as bad as what people make it out to be as well. Maybe another $20K a year added to longer travel. Carolina has done well with it the last couple years.