Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

RapidFire19

2019-20 Dawgs Player Signing Discussion

Seems like Bremner is bringing in a lot of new faces. I wonder if this season will be a completely different team?

16 hours ago, Canucks13 said:

Seems like Bremner is bringing in a lot of new faces. I wonder if this season will be a completely different team?

Yeah, and like every year most of our new signings have already signed onto ECHL training camps.  Like, Devin Campbell in Wichita and CJ Stubbs in Utah.  Nick Monfils hasn't even been announced by the team yet, only his former college announced the signing.  Not known or announced by our team yet was anything about the Stephen Klein trade.  From what I heard its questionable whether he wants to play in the SPHL this year.  So far, not much substance for our roster.  Still way too early to tell anything.

19 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Yeah, and like every year most of our new signings have already signed onto ECHL training camps.  Like, Devin Campbell in Wichita and CJ Stubbs in Utah.  Nick Monfils hasn't even been announced by the team yet, only his former college announced the signing.  Not known or announced by our team yet was anything about the Stephen Klein trade.  From what I heard its questionable whether he wants to play in the SPHL this year.  So far, not much substance for our roster.  Still way too early to tell anything.

I’ve heard that some players from last year do not like Bremner as a coach. 

3 hours ago, Canucks13 said:

I’ve heard that some players from last year do not like Bremner as a coach. 

You can expect that from just about any coach from year to year.  Some guys just never buy in to the system or how a coach wants you to play.  I know he expects his team to be physical, but truth is not every player will buy into that philosophy.  I'm not worried about it, i'm sure he will put a good product on the ice and get some new guys who fit the mold for his team.  I've definately enjoyed games a lot more as Bremner as our coach.  From what I heard, its the reason we got Klein from Peoria.  Not sure if he was upset not starting in the playoffs or what.  Hear he was talking about playing somewhere other then the SPHL.  Lets hope the trade and his chance at being a #1 goalie might change that.  Was hoping we might pick up Ian Sylves, but he just signed overseas.  We have signed some good rookies, but have a feeling they might play in the ECHL.

Huge signing for us, to get back Travis Armstrong.  Brings a lot of experience and toughness.  Glad to see him coming back!  Definately one i've been waiting on.

Glad to see Thompson back.  Another gritty hard nosed player coming back.  Goalie Theut is from UAH.  Huntsville fans should be familiar with him.

Two more guys not scared to drop the gloves and bring physical presence.  Like how this team is starting to look.  Seems Bremner is getting more players that fit his team.

I'm not opposed to some toughness, but it doesn't need to go over the top. Evansville last year assembled a goon squad that belonged in the 80's and 90's, and we saw how well that worked out. Today you need toughness with skill, not just toughness for its own sake.

We haven't signed a player that is one sided yet since Bremner has been coach.  I don't see that changing this year.  Only one that could be considered one sided would be Schultz looking at statistics, but I haven't seen him play enough to come to that conclusion.  Never seen him play, since he whooped up on Mueller in the Christmas jerseys a couple years ago.  If they can't prove they can play, i don't think they will be on the team.

Schultz is a serviceable SPHL defenseman.In the games I have seen him play in Roanoke he didn't look like a liability on the ice.

1 hour ago, Canucks13 said:

Mele signed with an FHL team? That’s an interesting move. 

He decided that last year.  He bought a house there.  Danbury is a short trip from NYC.  He can play hockey, get paid, live in his house, and keep his real estate job year round.  He won't be travelling to the away games.  He is just playing home games for Danbury.  Huge signing in getting Jeff Jones back this year.

13 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

He decided that last year.  He bought a house there.  Danbury is a short trip from NYC.  He can play hockey, get paid, live in his house, and keep his real estate job year round.  He won't be travelling to the away games.  He is just playing home games for Danbury.  Huge signing in getting Jeff Jones back this year.

I figured he wasn't coming back. I am surprised a team is willing to let a player only play in home games.

Agree, with the Jones signing. I thought he was the best player we had last year.

3 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Anyone out there know of teams in leagues at or higher than the SPHL having problems paying their players?

Not in recent decades. You hear stories of such from the "good old days" in various minor leagues.

4 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Anyone out there know of teams in leagues at or higher than the SPHL having problems paying their players?

Yea, the KHL.  One of the supposedly best hockey leagues in the world, some teams aren't making payroll and players aren't getting paid.

Chicago Tribune